Windows XP Service Pack 3

Only bad thing (so far): IT TURNS WINDOWS FILE PROTECTION BACK ON AND ADDS SOME NEW SERVICES! (:AGY)
Now I got stuff like WMP back, and I actually completely removed it (cleaned registry with RegSeeker…).
I feel depressed and angry…

Cheers,
Ragwing

heheheheehhe was IE also back?

At this rate I might as well wait until SP3 is mandatory

I have IE, since I don’t want to mess with deleting it.
Automatic Updates and BITS are also back, and yes, I deleted them too before :stuck_out_tongue:
Don’t know yet if I should keep them or wipe them out of my computer…

Cheers,
Ragwing

Unless you want to be like LA, there’s nothing wrong with keeping them.

Okay. I’ve made my decision. I’ve set them to disabled (they already were of course) and disabled them to run on my hardware profile (and I only have one).
So even if Microsoft will set them to automatic, they’ll be unable to run (:WIN)

Cheers,
Ragwing

We’re dealing with the big M here (and I’m not referring to the fast food restaurant chain): anything’s possible with them. I could’ve sworn at least one of the services still managed to run even though I disabled at the hardware profile…

Hey Rag, I guess you missed my opening post in this topic :wink:

Since many services are set to manual, I guess they can start once in a while, when needed. Or do you actually refer to completely disabled services? Only one cure for that - remove the services permanently with nLite…

LA

No, when we disable, we mean disable. I didn’t uninstall services with nLite because I enabled its safety feature, but that would be another story !ot!

I guess the whole point of this is how sneaky SP3 is when it wasn’t mentioned in the description details that some services reappeared. But I guess there must be a good reason, like fixing miscellaneous issues (which SP2 did for me years ago).

http://www.venue.nu/infusions/varcade/uploads/thumb/influenza-chicken.gif
((:TNG)) sorry I couldn’t help it, now let’s keep on topic :slight_smile:

I’m not sure there is a good reason. I’d like to compare this to the SP3 reinstallation of WMP, Movie Maker, Windows Messenger etc. - some services get enabled just because Microsoft wants it that way, no matter if they do any good… :-TD

LA

Those 2 are double killers for me. I’m not going to install for sure now (:CLP).

“I’m not going to install for sure now”

you wont have a choice in a month or two if you have automatic updates, I beileve.

Correct me if I’m wrong. … anyone?

If you read above you’ll be hinted that I disabled Auto Updates, so I do have a choice. The same can be said of SP1 users - there are some still around lol

Windows XP SP3 Creating Havoc… I’m shocked. 88)

I installed it with windows update yesterday and it has managed to turn my Dell desktop into so much junk.

I cannot even get into safe mode and the bsod STOP messages are not the usual ones.

I am hoping someone on the Dell forum can help.

:-TD :-TD :-TD >:(

I wonder if SP3 bundles IE7 in it :o

MSIE 7 is not included in XP SP3.

XP SP3 crashes AMD machines

Thats why I NEVER install a service pack on top. It’s always better to use integrated version and reinstall Windows from scratch :slight_smile:

That’s why it’s a real pain to have to reinstall from scratch, unless one is at one’s wits’ ends or something like that :THNK

“the bsod STOP messages are not the usual ones”

lol. Thats just funny.

“my puter broke, but it didn’t break the way it normally breaks”

I know basically nothing about macs and mac OS’s, but this seems like the type of thing “they” would laugh at us for.

You said you got a Dell desktop, I also have a Dell desktop and have suffered regularly from the dreaded BSOD.

My mother has one also, but has not suffered.

They were always pretty infrequent, and I haven’t had one in over a month, so I dunno.

I’m thinking of NOT installing SP3. I’ll have to watch and see what others’ opinions are.

One of my biggest worries is that it would prevent me from running

RipIt4Me
DVD decrypter
DVD shrink

I think I read somewhere, someone was suggesting to Vista users how to get those programs to work again. Implying that they would not run on Vista.

Anyone know anything about this? I have no idea where I read it, and have subsequently gotten ripped and forgot the details.

Ah, overcame my laziness to google.

DVD Shrink and Windows Vista | AfterDawn Discussion Forums
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/82284-re-vista-decoding-dvd.html
Using Vista and DVD Decrypter | AfterDawn Discussion Forums

So apparently, a lot of people have had trouble running those apps on Vista, I am worried SP3 will produce similar results.

Anyone out there tried these programs on SP3?

Also, couple questions.

1.What would be the ideal way to run XP without auto updates?

1. Earlier today I went to the MS update site, and it said there was a new update manager which needed to be downloaded or something. Anyone had any experiences with this?

… man, with all the apparent crappyness of Vista, why the hell should we all update to SP3?

If it doesn’t GREATLY enhance internet/OS security, I probably won’t fk with it, esp. with people saying they are having problems with it.