Windows XP Service Pack 3

Well it may seem funny to you Lirv, but to me it is no joke. The first bsods for me since getting rid of ZA and running CPF3 betas last year.

No no, I apologize. I did not intend to make fun or anything, it’s just kind of … um, ironic maybe??

Like … ah fk. you know?

I apologize, I’ve suffered from BSOD frequently as well. Very frustrating.

… like, its funny in the way that its almost the norm. you know?

like, “you’re getting a BSOD, yea we all are. Oh yours is like that? Well mines like this. Yours is different now? Well mine’s always been the same, but Joe’s changed and then changed back. And Fred’s changed, changed again, changed back to the original, and then back to the 3rd.”

… kinda thing.

James, did you follow the Blog link on the INQ page? That Jesper chap has a fair amount of details, including causes & solutions, on the SP3 induced XP BSODs.

LirvA, Windows Updates? Try AutoPatcher. It’s back, with the help of something called APUP (AutoPatcher Updater). It gets the components directly from MS now (to stop MS complaining). If nothing else, it makes rebuilding an XP system a lot easier & faster.

Regarding the MS website update, they are wanting me to install their

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)

I’ve had this computer for a year, got it brand new with a non-pirated, factory installed version of XP.

Throughout this year, I have occasionally gone to their web update site to check for high priority updates (even though I have auto turned on), or optional updates.

I would be able to look through their optional updates, and read the descriptions of what they are and what they do.

I would be able to download and install if I wished.

Never in this time, has it requested I download their validation tool. They always checked my XP without asking me to download their tool.

Never in this time has it prevented me from looking through the optional updates, or looking for priority updates.

But now, they want me to download their Windows genuine advantage tool, before I can look through the updates.

according to wiki, there are some problems with it. Criticisms. False positives. False negatives. Accusations of spyware.

Do I already have this ■■■■ thing on my computer? As I said, Ive always gone to their web update site before to look through the updates, but now they want me to download

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)

If I don’t need it, I’m not downloading it.

Same with SP3. I just set my auto updates to automatically check and notify me of updates, but not to automatically download and install.

… I wonder if Vista is going to be a bigger pile of garbage than ME

It might prove difficult to avoid the WGA components if you want to install SP3 at some point… SP3 includes WGA, unfortunately.

Just bought a brand new copy of XP Pro today(£85 :o) with service pack 2C and it says something about new product keys and how updates may be compromised if images are not correct.Not used it yet but when i do i think i`ll wait before installing SP3,by the sound of it there really pushing WGA.
Should i wait for SP3 final before installing,what you think YA or NAY?

Matty

I think XP SP2C is SP2+All Critical updates. Pushing WGA, yes… but, not enforcing/forcing WGA. Currently all MS updates can be downloaded directly from their site… and this is what AutoPatcher (AP) now does. Originally AP built up mini-SPs that could be downloaded. This MS objected to because it contained the actual patches & they thought that made them vulnerable to tampering (I think they were right). Now, AP users download MS components directly onto their own machines and construct their own mini-SPs (as I said, very handy for rebuilding systems).

SP3 is final.

For everyone that doesn’t like Windows Update or WGA, use Microsoft TechNet instead. No validation required, since Microsoft offers security patches for everyone (including users with pirated software).

I must say I notice some performance boost compared to SP2, so I’ll stay with it. But for Windows File Protection, I’m sure there’ll soon be a patched sfc_os.dll available, or else I’ll just remove, along with sfc.dll from my system…

For WGA, it can easily be fooled by writing a few words to a file, but it’s not approcipiate to discuss on this forum…

Cheers,
Ragwing

Way to go Rag (:CLP)

I can only see one reason whatsoever to use SP3: if it’s integrated (e.g. with nLite) on a XP SP2 installation CD, you don’t have to download and install ~80 patches. Personally I’m a “latest version” freak, so that’s a reason good enough for me, but I still find it very convenient to have a XP SP3 nLite CD ready - in case I want a clean system anytime.

LA

I think that’s a typo 88)

I did my own XP Sp3 unatended edition with NLite :smiley:

Anyone got some information about the new NAP (Network Access Protection)?

Cheers,
Ragwing

Hi, with SP3 Microsoft removed the address bar bend, which gave you an address bar directly in your task bar. I miss this feature.
Does anyone know a software which adds a similar address bar to the task bar?

Thanks,
BigMike

“It might prove difficult to avoid the WGA components if you want to install SP3 at some point… SP3 includes WGA, unfortunately.”

That’s good to know kail, thank you for the information.

I’ll probably wait for a few months before considering SP3. I’m pretty comfortable with my current SP2 rig, so I don’t really see any need to “upgrade”.

“Hi, with SP3 Microsoft removed the address bar bend, which gave you an address bar directly in your task bar. I miss this feature.
Does anyone know a software which adds a similar address bar to the task bar?”

AOL software puts a “search box” on the taskbar (screenshot,) but I can’t recommend their internet service.

[attachment deleted by admin]

AOL? Bad memories of the 90’s AOL dial-up. Not improved then? ;D

NAP? I thought the SP3 NAP additions were just to allow XP to be a fully functional client for NAP on a W2008 server? Is this not the case?

lol. Kail, I think they’ve improved a bit since the 90’s, but their internet service is still pretty ■■■■ crummy.

I also have an issue with their ethics. They lack integrity.

Okay. I thought it was some extension to Windows Firewall to increase the security or something.

Cheers,
Ragwing

LirvA: Integrity eh? Perhaps they have improved then… they lacked a usable service in my day. ;D

Ragwing: Sorry, misunderstanding, I don’t know… that’s why I was asking (my info could be old or out-of-date).

Yea, they’re internet service is actually usable these days, but still pretty ■■■■■■.

They definitely lack integrity.

First of all, they’re software borders on adware. Every time I log on, they are shoving ads down my throat. I can’t even check my email without being harassed by annoying ads, probably infecting my computer with web tracking cookies.

More importantly, AOL released users’ search records.

Yea, they totally lack integrity.

Remember this is about SP3 not AOL (:m*)