Windows XP Service Pack 3

See the attached screenshot of post SP3 install! I have no idea whats going on, think ill have to roll back! ???

[attachment deleted by admin]

What happens if you change the view to Details then change back to Icons?

Is it the same for all folders with system files and program files?

LA

I’m talking about 5512.

OK. I’ve downloaded the service pack again, this time from Microsoft, and although it’s the same version in the .exe file (not related to the 3311 / 5512 thing) this SP is a few MB larger. Hopefully I’ve got the right one now.

LA

However, incompatibilities discovered in the past several days between an application called Microsoft Dynamics RMS and both Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista Service Pack 1 will force the company to hold off on releasing the software...

…A fix to the Dynamics RMS problem is being tested …

Does this mean 5512 may not be final? I’m holding off the update until I can get it from either the download centre or microsoft update.

Jim

MS pulls plugs on XP SP3 mass launch

@LeonAQUILA Only the ie7 folder, DRVSTORE, and the dllcache folder have this problem, though the names of the folders and the files inside them come up if i highlight them. Hovering the mouse over a file also brings up its details.

@Soyabeaner: Changing the view in any of the affected folders makes no change, nor does unhiding protected operating system files.

How odd.

Really, I have no idea what to do. Perhaps you wish to uninstall SP3. You can always have a fully patched SP2, at least until they force you to have SP3 in order to get the latest updates.

LA

This is why I wait at least months before M$ themselves release a SP. (:WIN)

I know, you were never a true gambler although you do some experiments. (:TNG)

LA

Yup, I’m going to take off SP3 and see what it looks like then. I’ll give M$ a while to fix any undiscovered bugs, then get SP3. :-
Wondering, this couldn’t be a security feature aka “Hide protected operating system files”? ???

Mine has always been enabled, so why not try it?

BTW where is drvstore located? I don’t seem to have it. Also, I don’t have IE7. Besides, I’ve deleted all files in dllcache… all this means that I may have encountered the same bug as you but there is no way to verify it.

LA

If you would keep it off the key…

I found drvstore here: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE, dllcache here C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache ie7 here C:\WINDOWS\ie7. I just removed SP3 and I still have the same situation, folder and file names not showing in the above. Before unticking “Hide…” i got to dllcache by entering %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dllcache in Start>Run. See the screenshots. The highlighting was the only way to see the folder names.
This is wierd! I even ran two AV scans with Avira and nothing showed up! I’ll google to see if anybody else has this problem, and check microsoft help and support.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Im not sure where I read it, but somewhere I read that with Vista you cant use DVDDecrypter, DVDShrink, and some other similar programs because MS did something to prevent it. Anyone know anything about this?

I am curious if they will do this with XP SP3

I have Windows XP SP2 Home. After a recient bad install of Zone Alarm that mucked up my registry so badly the only solution was total reinstall, I decided to give the SP3 a try. Since it’s still not on the Win update list, I manually downloaded it and set to work on the reinstall of Windows.

The SP3 installed fairly quickly and easily (surprising for Microsoft) and one reboot later SP3 was on my machine. So far, everythings worked just as before with SP2. If there are supposed to be tweaks in there for system performance, I’m not noticing it thus far but am pleasantly surprised that I’ve not had any problems yet either.

The biggest bonus for SP3 is that it has all the windows updates in it that I would normally have to go to the Update Site to get after SP2 install so this saved me quite a bit of downloading/installing/rebooting time that I would have had otherwise.

Overall I’ll give XP SP3 a tenative thumbs up.

Got it from Softpedia this afternoon (about 560MB IIRC), put the ISO on to a CD and ran it.

Nothing obvious; most of the basic files have incremented a bit; some apps. start a bit faster; can’t yet tell about boot as the Prefetch folder had only new entries (obviously wiped, as all the entries were from the time of the update).

Few things CFP asked about, as they’d changed.

Was it worth it? Don’t really know.

Thread fusion complete.