WINDOWS UPDATE FAILS WITH COMODO (merged threads)

The fiewall is saying that it is all allowed. Also, I have tried turning UAC off and it still doesnt seem to work.

Sorry for bumping again, but this is really starting to annoy me.

Please could I have some more help?
Thanks!

I know the latter has already been reported - anyways: Meanwhile there are two security patches that cannot be installed if you are running Vista. For me it’s reproducible: Turning off (really de-activate) Defence+ in the advanced settings makes these two updates install properly. Unfortunately (for me) after re-activating Defense+ it’s like those updates have never been installed. They again appear in the update list and Windows Vista is unable to install these.

Come on Comodo guys… This really turns into a very bad security issue. I can’t remeber having heard about any product "killing2 Security updates before unless viruses. I urge you to kill this fatal bug in Defense +. Otherwise this module is going to be useless.

Source: grand stream dreams: Vista KB942763 Update Failure and Solution

1. Find the Comodo icon in the system tray and right-click on it.
  2. Click “Open…”
  3. In the Comodo program window, click on the “Defense+” shield in the top bar area
  4. On the left-hand side you will see the “Defense+ Tasks” column.
  5. Click on the “Advanced” icon.
  6. Find the “Defense+ Settings” in the last row and click on the name to open this section in a new window.
  7. The very bottom checkbox says "Deactivate the Defense+ permanently (Requires a sysem restart), check the box.
  8. Click the “Apply” button.
  9. A “Restart Required” window will appear. Select “Yes” to restart your system.

Note: The summary will now state that the Defense+ security level is set to Inactive.

1. Once the system has come back on and you are on your desktop, install the KB942763 patch.
  2. Now, repeat steps 1-8, but in step 7 uncheck the “Deactive the Defense+ permanently” option box.
  3. Do a final system reboot and your system should be back to normal; having both the patch installed successfully as well as the Comodo firewall’s Defense+ setting enabled again.

I liked Comodo but this is too much. Not being recognized by Microsoft, the last two major critical Windows Update installations on Vista (7 today) are blocked by the presence of your software on my PC. Only solution is to completely remove the firewall from the pc and then proceed. Turning OFF DEFENSE+ doesn’t solve the problem. PLEASE INVESTIGATE AND CONTACT MICROSOFT FOR THE GOOD OF ALL!!! (:AGY)

Same here. Is there any solution other than uninstall? Thats what I had to do last time.

I like Comodo 3.0, I like free, and I don’t mind a challenge but…

Interesting. I had problems with todays updates also, but got 6 of them to install by unchecking the “automatically start with windows” under miscellaneous/settings prior to the reboot. The last one, 943411, still wouldn’t install so I downloaded the standalone version. And got a message “this update is not for your system” when I tried to install it-noticed it was for Windows Sidebar, which I have never used. Still a bug to hopefully be fixed in the next version, and still don’t know whether 943411 should have installed or not.

[TOPIC COMBINED WITH BUG REPORT TOPIC TO DISCUSS WORKAROUNDS, ANY XP ISSUES]

I have just spent several hours installing my monthly Microsoft updates on a computer with comodo firewall (latest) on it. Most of the updates failed. First I disabled defence+ and rebooted. This did not help. I could only install the updates buy completely uninstalling comodo firewall, running windows update and then reinstalling comodo again. I managed to restore my comodo setting after even more messing about with UAC. I must have rebooted between 10 and 15 times in total. Can this be fixed as a priority?

The updates appeared to install correctly but the copying of the files on rebooting failed and so the install was rolled back. I had no problems on my other Vista computer without Comodo on it.

Mine have just installed without any problems whatsoever. I just switched Comodo to Installation Mode and switched off Comodo BoClean which has caused installation problems for me in the past.

I use Avira AV, Comodo BoClean, Comodo CFP v3 and SpywareBlaster as real time protection.

I tried installation mode first and it did not work.

Do you run on Vista with UAC on? I do.

I also run nod32 V3 but that has never caused be any problems.

i’ve been having the same problem since i installed V3. every windows update fails. the only way i can get them to isntall is to uninstall comodo then reinstall it again after the update. there has got to be a way of fixing this so i will watch this thread with interest…

I had been wanting to install COMODO Firewall for some time, but waited because I was unsure of its compatability with MS Vista Business. The programme was highly recommended as being superior to the installed MS Firewall. When I discovered version 3.0.14.276 and noted that it was rated as being compatible with Vista, I went ahead and did the installation. For the first few days all was well. Then I suddenly was unable to download MS updates, which I do regularly, probably daily. I had a similar problem when I tried to use BitDefenderV10 and eventually I had to uninstall this. I am impressewd with COMODO and want to continue using it - BUT how do I download the MS updates.
I am running AVG and the MS Firewall is disabled. Help needed please!!

Hey. I had similar problems, although only with two recent updates (specifically KB942763 and 943411), both failing with error 80070643. This error is pointing in Microsofts documents to Offices direction (ose.exe) which now seems incorrect. Should be noted that this latest monthly update batches other four updates failed also. These had different error codes which stated that they failed because one before them refused to install (800F0826). So, hided this 943411 and those other four installed smoothly. Problem was that I had now two hidden updates that contiously refused to install.

Solution was same as wildwolf2200, un-installing Comodo. After that both installed OK. So, “maybe” this is something that should be looked for next CFP version. I additionally noticed that after un-installed CFP via Windows’s remove programs, Windows Security Center reported it still running (and Windows grand firewall not) after reboot and didn’t notify me that I were partially naked (ie without any software firewall). BTW. didn’t have to apply those registry edits for this, only un-installation and reboot.

I still urge that majority Windows updates installed without any issues, only these two caused problems (so far…). I have Kaspersky AV and zyXEL.

Take care,
grip

My updates were fine with XP Pro , Looks like Vista isnt “Comodo Ready” :smiley:

I only had two out of about 6 updates fail. The error codes were 80070643 and something ending with 5. 5 means access denied and 643 is 1603 in decimal which according to Microsoft means a problem accessing the drive or directory. It looks to me like Comodo is interfering with the final file copy that replaces the old with the new files on rebooting. The install worked but the final copy did not.

Is it ok if you disable CPF3. ? Anyhow I’m sure this will be looked at pretty quickly.

Same problem here with 1 out of 7 updates.

Disabling Defense+ or turning off CFP does not work this time (it did with the updates last month).

For the moment I skipped this 1 update and will wait for the Comodo experts to come back with a possible solution.

Harry :THNK

Good finding. I hope the devs pick up this observation. It may be poiniting them in the right direction.

It wouldn’t installall 6 selected updates; I tried a few times. I got it solved by disabling D+. Remember to turn D+ back on only after the necessary reboot of Windows.

And same here-it took me nearly 2 hours to install the
7 updates on Vista. I like Comodo, but if something isn’t done,
then I’ll have to drop it. Please! Could this problem be resolved
before Vista Service Pack 1 comes out? The release candidate is
already out now.
Thank you (:WIN)

Same here, it would not install 6 updates when when I disabled Defense+.

I de-installed comodo firewall, installed the upgrades, and re-installed comodo firewall, that worked…

Note: did not try the “disable automatically startup with windows” option as described in a previous post. Will try that next time when updates fail (before uninstalling Comodo).