WINDOWS UPDATE FAILS WITH COMODO (merged threads)

I had a problem where I would not get notified of windows updates, figuring it was the firewall at fault. It was, and the way I found around it is in Firewall - Advanced- Network Security policy, I added the wupdmgr.exe as a trusted application. That has allowed me to get notified of updates, so maybe it might help you in some way.

I use Windows xp Pro 32-bit, cfp 3, comodo BOClean.

This is the 2nd month now that this problems has happen, only 1 of 6 installed and that was the malicious software tool removal??? So I had to completely uninstall CFP to get my updates installed. I also had a problem getting my new web cam to work, I didn’t know how to open the ports needed to communicate with the update server and the other webcam party. The fire wall was blocking the Yahoo Messenger ports needed. I was going to ask for help with the port blocking but after the updates wouldn’t install I’m just not going to use CFP.

Roger1955

I can be added to the list of the problem with windows update.

Just the one will not install which is KB943411. I have tried three times today now, no luck so far. I’m not wanting to uninstall CPF just to do this so hopefully the devs will come up with a solution pronto.

simply closing down the firewall didn’t work for me. i had to uninstall it completly to get the up date to install…

Yup, another Vista user with all 7 updates from Jan 09 being messed up by Comodo V3. I’m not gonna uninstall since I went trough 6-7 firewalls before I found one I liked.
Gonna wait for a patch to install those updates…

hi,i to have started using comodo firewall pro, please can someone help, i to have vista, updates will not install, great firewall, will this be fixed soon thanks. :THNK

Vista for me too, only one update installed today and last month one update failed too but not an important one. I tried to install after unchecking start with windows as suggested and disabling defense+. I also shut down BOClean in case it was to do with that.

I would prefer not to uninstall CPF as it is running smoothly with minimal popups now, so I will leave the updates for the time being.

Hey. Just to heads-up that three of 8th Jan updates are prerequisites for Vistas SP1 (943302 and 943899, 935509 also if you have Vista Ultimate or Enterprise). Sure hope that this will be sorted out before that (prob. during this Q1/08).

And only disabling CFP indeed won’t help. Tried also un-ticking “Miscellaneous/Settings/Automatically start application with Windows” and reboot. Didn’t help, Comodo started just like before.

hey, grip, thanks for the details.
Right now I’m at work and can’t verify it, most likely are the ones you’ve described.

Another note, on WinXP updates install without any flaw even with D+ running.

On Vista Home Premium: disabling D+, choosing not to start with Windows startup and even disabling from Services the Comodo Firewall Pro Helper Service have no effect on those 6 patches (only 1 installed fine by doing the above steps), all 6 of them failed.

I closed Comodo Firewall during updates after failure.
And then all worked fine but after reboot, Comodo Firewall refuse to Start automatically, i have to launch it manually.
So, i will uninstall it and re-install it… no choice.

For me I had to disable Comodo and enable the Windows firewall before the latest updates would install. Following the reboot all was well.

I will continue using Comodo as it does everything else I need. I will just have to remember the firewall switch before running the installer.

Add me to the list. I have Vista and 2 (KB943411 & KB9416442) out of 3 failed to install. Last month I had to uninstall the firewall for the windows update to install and I really don’t want to do this every month. For now I will just live without the 2 updates.

I tried to update vista today in batch as usual and this time all six failed.So i tried install them individually.All installed except (KB943411) which kept failing.One of the times i got a comodo argument error. Then I noticed this thread and tried disabling comodo firewall but this didnt work either.I reluctantly had to uninstall comodo firewall , then the vista update(KB943411) installed prioperly.
I reinstalled comodo firewall as i like the program.I hope the people at comodo can find a solution before this happens again.

Here is what I have done. I have Vista Home Premium and disabling D+ and choosing not to start with Windows startup partially worked for me. 4 of the 6 updates installed. After making the changes to CFP I restarted the computer. Then to install the updates I shut down the computer which automatically installs the updates. After starting up the computer all the updates were installed, except for KB942763 (Outlook) and KB943411 (windows sidebar). I then changed the settings in CFP back to the way they were.

I tried again the same procedure for the remaining 2 updates but it did not work. I am running BOClean and PC-cilling Internet Security 14.

I’m also having problem installing KB943411. All others installed fine in my first try (didn’t need to disable CFP either) but that one just keeps failing.

Vista Business 32bit
ESET AntiVirus 3
CFP 3

All updated/patched to latest version.

This problem seems to be back again with update KB943411 - “this update enables Windows Sidebar to block certain gadgets from running”. Same error - 80070643. This REALLY needs to be fixed, it is a problem with at least one update nearly every patch Tuesday!

I haven’t had any of the windows defender update problems lately and previous problems were a different error to everyone else (code 5) - I’m not even sure they were related to CFP.

COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.14.276 32bit
Vista Home Premium 32bit
ESET NOD32 AntiVirus 3.0.621.0 32bit
Windows Defender 1.1.1505.0 - I think, currently disabled but updates were working fine before I disabled it a few weeks ago

While do not use Vista, has anyone tried getting the updates via Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer?
I’ve been using it, for years, to simplify the update regime. MBSA is a Microsoft tool that does the analysis locally (via an internet connection) and generates reports of what it thinks need to be updated, and then allows individual downloading of the parts you want. Finally you can run the updates when you want to.

Hi Zortag,

Thankyou for that one. I ran it and it only showed one important update missing. I did manage to install that one on its own without any problems.

ok i think we can confirm that there is a problem with v3 & windows updates by all the posts in this thread (:WIN) is there no admins or anyone else out there who knows how to fix this issue???

Please help us!
I have the same problem with KB943411. I’m not able to install it on my Vista Home Premium version, with the latest CFP versione (3.0.14.276).

I don’t want to uninstall to install a MS update! (:SAD)

Thanks to all!