WINDOWS UPDATE FAILS WITH COMODO (merged threads)

(:AGY)No, it doesn’t work for me. I’m on Vista Home premium, Comodo3Beta Firewall 274, I disabled Defence+ and restarted but still can’t install tghis update.

I am on a different machine today without CFP. This morning I was unable to get MS updates. Windows defender gave a different error than I got yesterday on my CFP machine. Windows Update just hung with the progress bar rotating forever. I assume these are MS problems. This afternoon, all is working well.
I will try again on my CFP machine probably tomorrow.
I hope some others will try and report there results.
Enjoy…John

Update for Windows Vista (KB942763) would not install with Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.14.276 installed. To be honest, I’m fed up with this buggy software, I seem to spend too much time overcoming problems with CPF installed and not getting on and doing some work. Bye-bye Comodo, I’ll see you in a few months… maybe!

Recently as some updates were being downloaded and installed through Vista automatic updates, one of the updates failed “KB942763”. It was found that the COMODO firewall was somehow interfering and that once it was uninstalled the update downloaded and successfully installed. This is not just my problem but many others as well. I have not reinstalled COMODO v3 and am presently using VISTA’s own firewall but I would like to go back to v3 but without the update problems. Is this a flaw in v3 or is there a way to get around this and make sure that it doesn’t happen again. Please be specific. Thanks.

Indeed. In this thread there is a workaround suggested that works but not for all: https://forums.comodo.com/bug_reports/firewall_3013238_unable_to_install_windows_update_because_of_comodo-t16987.0.html;msg117181#msg117181 .

Eric.
Thanks for the reply and the link, but I’m not sure that the other thread isn’t much better than putting a band-aid on a broken arm. I’ve written to COMODO support direct and, when and if, I get a satisfactory answer I’ll post it here.

I have the same problem.

I want to give Kudos here to Microsoft Support. I contacted them due to the problem with the update and they gave me the link to this thread. I was really surprised but somebody at Microsoft is doing there job quite well. I expect they may have someone monitoring this and many other similar forums.

I have already been on this forum a lot but didn’t think to search on this problem. I’m headed out of town today but will try the fix when I arrive at my destination.

Merry Christmas.

I found this work-around on the Internet that appears to help without uninstalling COMODO:

I am back on my machine with CFP and have the same problem with WU and Defender Update (error x80072f78).
Wish my news was better…John

I’m trying to work this issue through Microsoft as well. No luck there yet. Still receiving update error 0x80072efd

The reason why I contacted MS is because even after fully uninstalling Comodo, the same errors appeared. So, I reinstalled Comodo and shutoff Defense+ as recommend in other threads. That didn’t work either.

So, I’m stuck with no updates either way since installing v3 of Comodo.

Sorry this kinda sounds “Troll” but if

even after fully uninstalling Comodo
, and you’re
stuck with no updates
then probably is something in addition to cfp. This issue seems to be specific to certain update(s).
I also had to uninstall CFP temporary and install update. Seems to me this prob is because a certain reg protected file in firewall part and defense + that, maybe(?) is not ignored when disabling via GUI as opposed to the permanently
Just a guess.

This problem is resolved for me. It turned out to be a HW problem. I have an Epox MB with nVidia nForce4 Ultra chip set. The chip set has a NIC with a HW firewall which I removed to install the CFP. When I first used the machine, I could not upload attachments on e-mails. This turned out to be a CRC offload problem. I turned off CRC offload via the FW and all was well. When I removed the FW I guess the CRC offload became active again and was damaging the data I was sending out. I turned off CRC offload via the Device Manager but that did not help - surprised me! Fortunately I had a PCI NIC which corrected the problem when I used it instead of the nVidia. Both WU and WD updates work for me.
Good luck on your hunting…John

That is a very thorough investigation you found. I hope you sent that to the Comodo folks as well.

The url I linked to was suggesting to temporarily disable D+ and not uninstalling. The latter was suggested by the next reaction in that thread.

Hi Eric,
I wrote a reply to your post but somehow it got lost in cyberspace. Basically, I said that my article [link] was pretty much on the mark with your link. Disabling D+ does not appear to be the 100% solution. Therefore, I wonder if the only real solution is to completely uninstall COMODO? FYI, I uninstalled it through control panel and then also removed all mention of COMODO in my registry with regedit. I like v3 but not if it’s gonna interfere with downloads and the installation of updates. Hey, VISTA SP1 is coming soon. ???

I am unable to install any windows updates
error code 80070643
I unisnstalled comodo firewall and it works

Hi,
I received a new laptop today as a Christmas present. However, I am having big problems with Windows Update.

The only way I have been able to install a update is to download the offline hotfix, uninstall comodo and install it. However this is very annoying and feels unsafe.

When I try to use the software it get this error:

54	1192	1084	Report	REPORT EVENT: {F93A44F5-ADA1-44C9-9C06-8A74ED434007}	2007-12-25 18:16:37:148-0000	1	182	101	{E2FF4526-97D7-4926-8E75-295DBA39C6BF}	1	80070643	SelfUpdate	Failure	Content Install	Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Windows Update Core.

How can I fix this?

BTW, I have been using the software for just over a week and I find it very intuitive and effective. (:CLP)

Thanks!

Does your Comodofirewall log show a block in it when you try to update? Do you have a rule in your Network Policies for Windows Updater Applications that allows UDP and TCP out? If not go to add, select Windows Updater Applications and make the rule for it, followed by a block and log all.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have got that rule enable - it is enabled and logged.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

My specifications are:

• Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.14.276
  • 8MB DSL internet (on wireless) AOL
  • Windows Vista Buisness
  • I am Admin
  • Avast Profesionsal AV latest version

Thanks

Does your firewall log show anything as being blocked? Did you put the block and log at the end of the “Updater Applications”? One thing you might try is turning off UAC, at least temporarily-there have been reports of UAC blocking certain activities.