Windows 10 - "Firewall turned off" message

I’m using Win10 Pro 22H2 (installed last year) and Comodo Firewall 12.2.2.7098 (installed previously).
Since installing Comodo, I have disabled Windows Firewall.

A few weeks ago, despite having made no changes to my system and despite Comodo being working as usual, I started getting by Windows notifications (sometimes, soon after system boot) about no firewalls being active.

When I get to “Firewall & network protection” I can see a message saying “Comodo Firewall is disabled”.
If I click on “enable” I get a message saying “click to launch the application” and when I click on that I see the Comodo window opens (just as if I had opened it with the “open” command of the menu which appears when right clicking on the Comodo icon in the bottom right corner of my screen).

Then, as soon that I “do something” inside the Comodo window (for example: block and resume Internet activity), the message in the “Firewall & network protection” window changes to “Comodo Firewall is enabled”.

Then, a few (?) days later, I get the same notification again and I have to go through the same steps.
What can be the reason for such a behaviour?

Hi ocrami,

Thank you for reporting.

could you please check with the CFW V12.2.2.8012 ? Refer the above link to download.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please confirm that the suggested cispremium_installer.exe can be used to install only the free Firewall (with no antivirus or anything else)?

Can it be run directly or shall I uninstall the 7098 release first?

Hi ocrami,

Kindly uninstall the older CIS version(7098) and use the below link to download comodo firewall only version.
https://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/8050/standalone/cfw_installer.exe

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

I also have had this problem over the years. Usually restarting the computer eventually solves the problem. This morning I restarted about six times with no positive results. I am on Windows 10 22H2 and the latest level of Comodo Firewall ( not CIS). The solution the asker used also worked for me. If I get the problem in the future I, at least, have a workaround without having to restart (maybe multiple times - a pain). Again this has been an ongoing issue even with the latest of both operating system and Comodo firewall. I don’t know if this is a Microsoft issue or a Comodo issue but it would be nice if it could be finally solved without workarounds.

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3086 x64, CIS 12.2.2.8012.
I have the same problem. It appeared after one of the Windows updates. When the system starts, the OS reports that the firewall is not working, the status of the antivirus is unknown. After some time (no more than a minute), without any intervention from the user, everything returns to normal. Apparently, with the any update, the synchronization between the OS and CIS was broken.

Same here. Usually I’d immediatly try to solve any minimum problem,but I simply decided to completely ignore this one as CF is definetly working and this malfunction is related to MS.

Hi Xeno & Rapids,

Thank you for reporting.
Could you please share us the screenshot of the message(" firewall is not working") ?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

I get this message from MS after a reboot following a software update. This is a known problem with the 8012 and previous versions.

In almost all cases, I simply deactivate the FW, reactivate it, close the session and reopen it.

In rarer cases, I need to shut down the PC.

There are 5 screenshots step by step:

I guess this information suggests that the (above proposed) firewall update is not decisive…

I just un-installed personal firewall and re-installed to make sure I had the latestversion and now I am getting this error.

In the about it says 2021. What does that mean?

Hi damole,

Thank you for reporting.
Are you using any other security software other than CFW ?
Kindly disable all the components in CFW and restart, then enable the components and check the issue.
Let us know your feedback.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

I was using Avast One which I didn’t realise now came with a firewall. I did turn off the firewall before posting my original message.
Now Windows is reporting correctly.
Is 12.2.2.8012 the latest version and if so why does the about pabel show 2021?

I had the same problem with another laptop. The first one was actually Windows 11, followed the same steps to resolve the issue.

This morning (UK) I booted my Windows 10 laptop and the same, “Comodo Firewall is turned off”, error occured. I turned off VirusScope from the system tray and immediately the Windows Security providers panel changed to show Comodo Firewall is turned on.

Hi damole,

The CIS v12.2.2.8012 is current version.
FYI: Kindly refer the below link for upcoming CIS beta version.
https://cdn.download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/9010_beta/CIS_2024_beta.exe

This morning (UK) I booted my Windows 10 laptop and the same, “Comodo Firewall is turned off”, error occured. I turned off VirusScope from the system tray and immediately the Windows Security providers panel changed to show Comodo Firewall is turned on.

This is known issue and team is working on it.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

1 Like

This issue has been happening to me more recently. I used to just update the malware definitions, but I tried Domo78’s suggestion of toggling the FW off/on and as soon as I turned the FW off, the Win security shield turned green (even before toggling FW back on).

Hi CommodoUser2019,

The team is aware of this issue and they are working on it.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

1 Like