V3 and PerfectDisk 2008 [Merged Threads]

I understand but how many times do you need to do a boot defrag. I am willing to wait till there is a fix and still use Comodo. You can simple clean out your prefetch folder and let Perfectdisk rebuilt your layout inin folder for faster start up. Worked for me. You can also use TuneXP to defrag your boot files. You only need to do thi about once a month or so.

What is a bigger issue? Less security with boot-time defrag working or better security without offline defrag?
Nobody wants to say that the way the two softwares “co-operate” is acceptable. If you look at the perfect disk support page you can find a load of stuff interfering with offline defrag. Its not necessarily just comodo’s fault. I posted a link earlier in this thread which pointed out a temporary solution. It is not THE solution. But at least we can narrow things down. If that worked for everybody having issues, than the culprit could be the comodo driver. But as you can see it does not work for everyone. This could mean 2 things: they were not able to understand the instructions found on the perfect disk support page or it is not just the comodo driver which is interfering with PD. Some stated that it is working for them even with comodo and without tweaking the registry: for me this could mean: Their comodo instalaltion is corrupt…or…it is not comodo’s fault…or…they have no clue what a successful offline defrag pass is…

Anyway, blaming the softwares wouldn’t move our case forward. Instead we should identify the problem more precisely. As there is already a temoprary solution on Perfectdisk’s support page, they might have already found something. It would be a good idea if comodo developers try to contact PD developers.

That temporary solution isn’t even A solution.
I understand the instructions found on PDs support page, and it didn’t work for me. Apparently not for others either. So, this leaves us with your three options: “Their comodo instalaltion is corrupt…or…it is not comodo’s fault…or…they have no clue what a successful offline defrag pass is…”.

1. I know what a successful offline defrag pass is, I’ve done it many times before I installed comodo v3.
  1. It’s because of Comodo, no doubt. Works when I uninstall it.
  1. How can my comodo installation be corrupt, and so many others?

Also stating that a offline defrag is needed about once a month, doesn’t cut it IMO. I haven’t been able to do an offline defrag ever since v3 came out.

Anyhow, earlier I wrote that my brothers offline defrag works, for some reason, with the same applications (comodo v3.0.18 and pd 8.0). And I think that axl may have a point in this post:

Come on now people. Its not the end of the world cause you cannot perform an offline defrag. I have 2 entires of “inspect.sys” One in CurrentControlSet and the other in CurrentControlSet001. I tied Raxco’s fix for both entires and it still would not work. I uninstalled Comodo completely and offline defrag still didn’t work. Then I found inspect.sys still there so I deleted it and offline defrag worked. PD2008 offline defrag always worked till Comodo version 309. I love Comodo and I love PD2008. They work well together except for the offline mode. Hell what does everyone else do that didn’t dish out money for PD2008. There are several ways to defrag your boot files without PD. I posted them already and have done it myself. I never used PD2008 till about a year ago and before then I used TuneXP and or cleaned out my prefetch folder. Hopefully Raxco and Comodo will come together and fix the issue at hand but till then stop bashing Comodo or PD.

Agree: BSOD after each offline checkdisk is much worse :wink: I have this BSOD after last CFP upd (309) although PD-2008 offline defrag works fine. Maybe there is strong alternative - defrag or check, lol

Hi folks,

Please dont let this thread end up as a big argument, my intention was just to point out a problem between CPF & PD 2008, not to slag off Comodo or anythin like that.

Main point is that on a clean install of XP SP2 with latest udates, offline defrag fails ONLY after CPF is installed & i have tried addin PD as trusted etc, only thing i not tried is installin CPF without D+ as i want to use D+ (more alerts than with SSM & i feel it covers a couple more areas)

i have tried it with Avira installed then with NOD installed (restored clean image before Avira was installed before goin back to NOD)

Offline defrag is important to me as i like to make sure my drive is defragged before backin it up, yes U dont need to run it all the time but to me it handy to do offline defrag then after reboot do a online defrag then use Paragon Drive Backup to create image, this means when i restore the drive is already in optimal placement.

All im tryin to do is bring it to Comodo teams attention so they can see if they can solve it or work with Raxco on a solution.

Once again many thanks for all the replies & advice :slight_smile:

Regards
BB

Well…shifted to Sunbelt Personal Firewall today(cudn’t bear to see defragmented metadata files and doing nothing with PerfectDisk installed)…please keep me posted friends if there’s a solution to the problem…hoping to see an issuefree marriage between CPF and PD2008…

You honestly uninstalled Comodo just cause you cannot do an offline defrag. LOL.

Ya mate…my comps performance is precious so is security…kerio personal firewall so far is working ok…still have CPF installed on my lappy though!

Look at this and tell me if you trust Kerio. There are other ways of defragging your boot files.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php

Thanks for pointing out mate…back to Comodo…any idea about how the Online Armor Personal Firewall is??

Online Armor free is limited. If you want the full feature you need to spend $40. I used it before and was a beta tester for version 85. Every version I every used hung my system and since I am a gamer my pings would be higher. OA is a good firewall but I will stick with Comodo. Here is another good article.

Downloaded Online Personal Armor but won’t install it:following the expert’s advice:sticking with CPF!

Still the same problem with the new build ???

Shouldn’t be that hard to reproduce, just install CPF then after a reboot or two try to do a offline defrag.

Regards
BB

Using Online armor personal firewall on one of my comps…so far looks and works good…the new build of CPF makes network file sharing drastically slow…might go back to old version

Wrong thread post larrye.

Sorry about that.I deleted it Okay :■■■■

While performing a boot time defrag using Perfectdisk 2008,it says it was ‘unable to lock the drive’…this was an issue with Zonealarm only,never happened with any earlier versions of Comodo 3…problem’s been occuring since the last 2 versions…n yes perfectdisk has been marked as trusted in my firewall n all pd2008 files moved to ‘my own safe files’…

is there any solution for this…??..that doesnt involve uninstalling the firewall…The guys at Raxco say its a problem with the firewall drivers loading at startup and locking the drive…atleast thats what they told me for zonealarm…

This has been a problem for some but not others, with no apparent certain explanation as to why.
I myself run PD and CFP without issue, but you might want to look at this:

https://forums.comodo.com/empty-t19771.0.html

New build does nothin to solve the problem :cry:

Regards
BB