V3 and PerfectDisk 2008 [Merged Threads]

I’m performing two offline defrags daily…tippin’ one for the homies (:NRD).

Comodo doesn’t even bother to acknowledge the problem…sad

I do know how frustrating it can be (believe me) to hit this sort of snag, but I’m sure this has been brought to the attention of the appropriate parties. Sometimes apps don’t seem to get along until the kinks are sorted.
But it basically comes down to patience or forfeit.
I could tell you about the nightmare ordeal I had to endure trying to clean PerfectDisk out of my system after a crash while testing their “trial” ver. - back and forth with the Support folks - but went back to them because the product was worth it in the long run.
I think eventually you’ll see that whatever small inconvenience (it’s not like PD isn’t working at all, no?) you’re experiencing now will be outweighed by the overall effectiveness of the app you came here for in the first place.
:■■■■

And the problem is accentuated by the fact that BOTH are GR8 programs stuff we can’t do without…

I have this issue also. It doesnt affect regular PD operation, only a boot level system file defrag. Seems many others have it to. It has something to do with the way Comodo checks things at boot time. i hope they fix it soon

Yeah, I hope they issue a fix for this soon - both apps are tops in their camps. It is definitely a comodo problem, I did a fresh xp install with only these two and I get the same error.

I love PD2008 and Comodo. I use them both all the time. I cannot use PD offline defrag till this problem is solved but its not bothering me one bit cause there are several different ways to defrag your boot files with out PD.

Well it a problem for me & others & is the only thing stoppin me from usin CPF.

I use PD cause i trust it, dont want to have to install other apps just to do the same thing that PD does perfectly.

Regards,
BB

I use CPF 2.4, PD80 and tried 2008.
I have noticed I get such malfunction info if boot defrag is scheduled, but not if run manually.
It farther could - just speculation - be dependent on PD / CPF instalation order.

As a workaround one could disable CPF items, after disabling its autoprotect feature.
e.g. by Sysinternals/Microsoft autoruns.exe utility.

It can deactivate hundred of autolaunched items,
from sys drivers, through services, registry runitems, DLL libraries, logon matters, to startup folders,
and more and more.

Hi!

Hmmm… I use both PD and CFP 3 (WinXP). I have the same problem with offline defrag; PD’s solution works for me.

About “daily needs”: I use Windows Media Player 11. Even I don’t use it, it sits in RAM (billgates knows, why ;D ). Even I don’t use it, its database will fragmented up to 130 (!) fragments in 1, max. 2 days (!). Billgates knows, why… And, as a result, my ALL XP slows down extremely. So I’m shure, offline defrag IS a daily (maybe, twice!) need.

I like PD 2008 AND I like CFP 3. I’m waiting a solutions from Comodo very-very. Till I must to use a temporary solution: I did 2 files to modify registry (by PD’s solution), comodo_off.reg and comodo_on.reg - but of course, it’s not very comfortable. If Comodo will not give a solution too long time, maybe I shall seek for any macro-solution to do this maneuvre automatically.

Sorry for my English - I’m Hungarian.

Honestly speaking I have never heard of needing an offline defrag twice a day. Thats absurd.

somewhere on Raxco or OOsoftware sites
I have read these typical needed defrag patterns

for online defrag 1 - 4 weeks
for offline one 1 - 3 months

( as a guide, depends on disk workload characteristics )

Thats exactly right.

Hey, guys! Is this a forum about software or is this a nursery school? “Thats absurd”… ??? Why? Because you said? Is this an argument???

I wrote: “…Windows Media Player 11. Even I don’t use it, it sits in RAM (billgates knows, why).”
It IS a fact. If you don’t believe me, you can come to me to look at my PC.

I wrote: "Even I don’t use it, its database will fragmented up to 130 (!) fragments in 1, max. 2 days (!). Billgates knows, why… "
It IS a fact. If you don’t believe me, you can come to me to look at my PC.

Or, as an alternative, you can discusse it with billgates.

I repeat: I like CFP. It’s better than other 4-5 firewalls that I tried. BUT: this is exactly their bug and they must to correct it, if they think their reputation is important. 1 bug is not the whole world… but if there will a second anywhen, people must seriosly think about changing firewall. And… waiting already about 1 month to correct this bug? Hmm…

I can live w/o CFP (in 99,9 % is enough my physical thing: my router), but can’t if my PC will so slow, as without offline defrag.

PS
I took a little mistake. That very fragmented file (as I checked it now) is not WMP’s database - it’s C:$Extend$UsnJrnl:$J. It’s a very important hidden system file. Now (in this minute) it’s in 105 fragments on my PC. Of course PD says: “…PD recommends an offline defrag…” I took it yesterday. Remaining your questions: to billgates.

(BTW: The structure, how windows writes files on hard disc and structure of NTFS are very stupid, as it know we all. Microsoft’s only advantage is billgates’s contacts with actual world power, his role in bilderberg group. When he (he?) did this OS, there were many better than windows - but billgates is the man in hands of power. So, sorry, hundreds of millions are compelled to use microsoft’s “products”, and live with million it’s bugs. The only thing we can do: when it is possible, to correct windows’ (mal-)functioning with help of third party software, as Perfect Disk and others.)

Sorry for my English.

I agree with you that this problem should be fixed. But I highly disagree that your pc will benefit from doing an offline defrag everyday. Nobody in there right mind does that. If that was the case then everybody would be using PD. There are millions of computers out there that have never had an offline defrag or even defragged in general. I use PD2008 and Comodo on both my desktop and laptop. I have over 250 programs installed on them both. My boot up times and overall pc speed is perfect. I cannot do an offline defrag with PD at this time but it doesn’t bother me cause I love both programs. I made a reply awhile ago about using TuneXP if you have XP to do your boot files. You can also be sure that PD is set to be in control of your layout.ini files. Deleting your prefetch folder and letting PD control your layout files instead of Windows works just fine also. I defrag once a month and defrag my boot files once a month. Never needed more and both my computers get used atleast 6 hours a day.

I’m just an impartial observer here but it seems to me that:

Comodo CFP3 is offered as a free service and as such is not obligated to drop everything immediately (SSL Certs is where their $ comes from after all) to address an issue as benign as offline defragmentation stalls.

If those of us with PD were experiencing system crashes or something a bit more serious I imagine it would take a much higher priority - but this is really about an PD not running at full capacity, right? Do I really need to post a big long list of all the apps out there right now that wont work at all when paired up with eachother?

Personally, I paid for my PD. If I thought I was being gipped out of something I’d replace the free app. Comodo owes me not a thing.

■■■■

TuneXP recommends “for all XP users” such settings as “change file allocation size”, and “change IRQ8 priority” and so on - all these for years well known false tweaks, these “tweaks” do nothing on XP NTFS systems or in some cases are harmful. That’s you call “trusty application”? - that’s absurd!
Vettetech, people here are waiting for fix or at least Comodo staff answer - why you regulary tell us how happy you are without offline defragmentation?!

Comodo writes anywhere at the top level of this home page, why CFP is free. Comodo is not Red Cross; CFP is free not as humanitary action for PC users - it’s a type of business behavior. It’s absolutly OK: we understood it and we are very glad for this (in most cases excellent) application for free.

Planning his marketing behavior Comodo may choose (from this aspect) 2 way.

1. NOT to give us CFP-like full free softwares. No problem, this is a common type of behavior on the market.
  2. TO GIVE us CFP-like full free softwares. It’s really a good tactic - Comodo get a good name and we get a good free app. This is a good business for us and Comodo too. But: business! Not to support free apps at absolutly same level as payed apps - it’s not a fair play.

Imagine the situation: doctor want to enlarge his practice and he says “Free of charge therapy at every friday!”. Then, at one friday, one patient will dead. And doctor says: “And what? This patient didn’t pay me - this therapy was free!”. Agree with me, it’s absurd.

Yes, by actual law Comodo has rights to take a difference between support for free and payed apps. But: are you shure, this is a good practice for Comodo’s reputation? If a computing manager of big firm, who are looking for firewall, will read this like forums about CFP bugs, ask you about it, will you answer “Don’t warry! You will pay, so support for you will better.”? And are you shure, this buyer will believe you? IMHO he will think: “Yes… I payed… But what will the situation, if somebody payed more me, and we have bugs at same time? Probably, I must to wait one month or more for support…”

IMHO this bug is not a little; and others in this forum are thinking so, too. To wait already about one month for correcting it, and get sentences about “CFP is free - what do you want?”, instead of patch, correcting this bug - hmm…

Personally: I will be glad, if somebody from Comodo’s staff answer some sentences - “Hey, guys! We know about this bug and accept your opinion; the bug we will correct in the next edition of patches; pls be patient!” That will be OK - I will wait. But now, in actual situation, I have no info: plan Comodo to work around this bug or not?

Fragmented database = malpractice related suicide… now there’s an apt analogy.

A true story:
Once upon a time (after hearing much praise) I decided to give Superantispyware a whirl. I dl’d, installed, ran it - and crashed. After I recovered from this egregious malfunction and as I was writing a scathing hate-letter to them a thought occurred to me; perhaps their app just happened to clash with one of the many others I use, and that the lesson is not that SAS are SOB’s (I know thousands use it and love it) but that I can’t use it. For me the consequence is a system crash if I try, in this case it’s something much more benign.
What started out as an investigation into a bug has turned into diatribe…IMHO.

I didnt say use the other tweaks. All I said was use the offline degragger from TuneXP.