Slow Defrag Performance

It is an error on the side of Comodo and it has been reported. It didn’t happen with Comodo Firewall. Just wait until they finish it.

Until yesterday I was using CFP with Avast anti-virus. I never had a problem with slow defragmentation on my XP SP3 system running PerfectDisk. Today I installed CIS and discovered PerfectDisk was running extremely slow. I disabled AV and PerfectDisk ran normally. Enabled it again and PerfectDisk immediately slowed. Defense+ was enabled with default settings, thus it cannot be involved with the problem.

It is an unacceptable nuisance to disable AV everytime I run PerfectDisk and then remember to re-enable it when the defrag is complete. There are too many other AV products on the market to choose from. This problem needs to be addressed soon. If Avast can solve the problem, certainly COMODO can do likewise.

I really would like to continue using CIS. I am hoping this problem is resolved in the very near future.

So let’s recap:

This problem was first reported on Oct. 24, there have been repeated messages from a number of users confirming that this problem is NOT specific to any one machine/configuration, NO ONE from Comodo has replied, and the problem has not been fixed.

Either Comodo is unable to fix this problem or they simply doesn’t care.

The new CIS beta was just released. You can ask someone to test the defrag performance, because this version contains many updates and bug fixes. :slight_smile:

The bug is still there in CIS beta. I just checked.

Be sure to report it and keep reporting it until the final version and it’s fixed. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Josh

I also still get this with beta.

just to clarify, i have disovered that this is not a hardware issue in my case as my pc had xp sp3 x86 with cis & didnt defrag slowly, then upgraded to vista x64 ultimate sp1 & then had the problem.

i need to revert to my backed up hard drive image when cis has gone to release version, so ill temporarily install vista again (64 bit) then install cis only & see if it does it. If it does, then ill try the same with vista x86 & post the results here (if the problem hasnt been fixed)

Apart from this issue, cis performance is quality, witnessing slightly shorter boot time also!

I am using PerfectDisk 10 and I totally agree. When the AV is disabled the analyze and defrag run normally.

HI, I’m using Win XP x64 and having the same issue. I’m 99.99% sure this is Real Time Scanning bug, since if I disable it, the problem solved. I use Auslogics Disk Defrag by the way.

hmm,
I was worried you had a problem there, so i tried to defrag my harddrive with diskeeper 2009, and i dident see any slowdown, from my previous product AVG antivirus, maybe i see a boost, and im running december 3 version, maybe you guys have another problem ? maybe you run 2 antivirus software ? maybe your pc need a reinstall ? maybe you need a faster pc ?.

Well i got 2xraptorX in raid 0, and it seem faster than when running with AVG, maybe thats why Comodo hasent answered yet, since they dident see any fault ? or performance loss ?, though then they should have said that atleast hehe ???

Hi, I’m running 2 Antivirus: Symantec Corporated Edition & COMODO (duh…) I just reinstall my pc a few hours ago from now, I believe my PC is fast enough for such thing. I think COMODO Realtime Protection scans every single byte moved by the defrag program.

aww, it has been said before, and i say it again, dont run 2 antivirus programs at once, they will fight over the bytes, and make you pc extremly slower, than normal, pick one and stay with that, antivirus got like a priority over things, but if 2 or more (:SAD) is installed, they will just check every bytes over and over again, one antivirus is checking a bit, then release, next antivirus will check a bit, then release(maybe with a bit that say its checked), then first antivirus will check again, since its changed, and so on.

DONT get more than one antivirus product (there is a reason, most antivirus product says it wont work with any other antivirus).

So i guess most of the ppl in this thread has more than one antivirus product installed, just to test it, but to do that, uninstall that other antivirus hehe

To SUM it up:

ONLY ONE ANTIVIRUS PRODUCT…
Got it ?

Two anti virus programs should be used with caution. I have had Norton and AVG work happily together in the past. It is just a matter of trial and error and not a match made in heaven by definition.

im pretty sure its an issue with the 64 bit version, i tried to install vista x86 but my dvd wont read for some reason so not had a chance to try it out.

at a time should be set to perform real time scanning.

Ever been in a car with two drivers and ended up getting nowhere fast? :wink:

Ewen :slight_smile:

Hm, any news on this??

Yesterday I wanted to defrag my harddisk. The speed is (yes, not finished yet…) incredibly slow compared to former defragmentation processes… On the disk there are almoast 6 GB free space, so I doubt it’s a problem with remaining disk space.

The AV-Component is disabled. I tried also to disable D+ via tray menu, but this didn’t help…

no news, some ppl get this problem, others dont. I wonder if its an issue with how ive got vista set up, i dont know!

just to add my experience:

PerfectDisk 2008 runned NOT so slowly yesterday (normal speed I guess) after I gave it ALL possible permissions (incl “memory access” in CIS settings) + excluded all PD “.exe” in both D+ Image Execution and in AV.

:wink:

Ok, I can’t tell, if it’s also a problem with the av. I’m not using it. The problem was in my case related to Defense+.

If I disable D+ completely (Defense+ → Advanced → Defense+ Settings, check Deactivate the Defense+ completely) and reboot, the defrag process seems to be much faster. (At least, this time I didn’t have to cancel it, but it finished :slight_smile: )

I tried this with the latest versions of CIS (3.8.65951.477) and O&O Defrag (11.5.4065).
Defragmentation method was “Space”.

Comodo doesn’t seem interested in addressing this issue after all this time. It would be great if someone from Comodo said a few official words.