Slow Defrag Performance

agreed, but ince its such a random issue, theres probably some trouble reproducing it.

Had to reinstall vista on my bro’s pc today, installed cis after touching nothing except installing nvidia drivers & the error didnt occur, which points out that it must be me doing something to the O/S. ill have a fiddle around with it & see what i come up with.

Nvidia drivers can do some interesting things at times. Make sure your driver is the most recent: 181.22

this bug is still present in 3.9 but as the stateful scanning is available, all users need to do is run defrag once with staeful enabled, let it run for a minute or so (so that its actually scanned) then close the defrag and run it again. The scanner wont scan it again resulting in a temporary workaround for this issue besides turning off scanning all together.

I’m sorry to say so but at least for me it doesn’t seem to solve the problem entirely. There may be some time gain, but using Perfect Disk, analyzing and defragging still takes so much time that you wouldn’t notice any speed up.
Because of the right-click-canning-bug, I ran avast for a couple of weeks, and this made a major (!) difference. I’m talking of minutes compared to hours.

id like to report this issue as fixed with the latest .496 release candidate. Even with the scanner set to ‘on access’ the cmdaganet.exe process’ cpu usage does not spike to around 20% during a defrag. defrag analysis now takes around 1 minute for a terabyte drive with about 100gb of data.

I use vista’s built in defragger, so not sure about any other products.

I use Auslogics and noticed the same problem. defrag runs very slowly with the AV enabled and runs normally with it off.