Rising Antivirus Free

Hi Vette, glad to see you gave it a go, I just finished my Saturday morning scheduled scan & it picked up all of eicar
from yesterday, I have smart update running for 6:00 pm daily in normal mode & not silent & it’s been given all required permissions by Comodo Firewall by myself when I initially installed RAV. I told you dude it was a decent program. Explore the help file to see the Web protection & keep plugin away at it to discover all it has to offer!
Have fun while waiting for CAVS3 to make its appearance…

Regards
Xman :-TU (:KWL)

Well I am realizing web shields aren’t all that I guess. I like how Avast and NOD32 stop viruses the second you click on them like on the eicar site. But actually aslong as a virus scanner does catch it you are protected before it runs. I guess Kyle is right that it is a marketing thing more then anything. It makes you feel safe that your av stop you from even downloading something even myself. Rising is definitely a force to reckon with. I tried all those tweaks from Wilders but its too much. I put everything back to default except for the updater. Those settings are good if you currently have no HIPS but D+ takes care of all that.

:slight_smile: Here is a good example about such things as a websheild etc… allot of you use avast!.. Turn the websheild off, download Eicar, avast! will catch it. turn the websheild on, avast! will catch it. it’s just another service running…

True. I guess it just makes people feel safer if there av stops a virus even before they attempt to download it. I am guilty of that but Rising to me is as good as Avast. Nicer GUI. The active defense is like Comodo’s D+ but I am not sure if its weak or stronger.

Simple answer… D+ is better, Rising alerts you of suspicious behavior, D+ alerts you for every behavior, Unless known to be safe.
Of course the behavioral detection would probably be better for the below\average user!

Glad you’ve found a program that you like. I can’t ever settle on an anti virus lol. They all have their pro’s and con’s… I can never decide :frowning:

I have also played with them all. NOD32.KAV,Avira,Dr Web,AVG,Avast,and now Rising. KAV slows my pc down. Avira slows my web browsing down and NOD32 is great but cost money. AVG has gone downhill. Avast has an ugly GUI and Rising seems to be the best free av so far. Might not have the detection rate when compared to others but it doesn’t do that bad. See here.

Hey Vette, I love your last post dude & you know what? Rising Antivirus Free is RISING! Watch out for this corporation they’re a force to be reckoned with and they are known worldwide and will in a short time roll their bones (Mafia speak) prove themselves in the Antivirus domain. I’m really glad you’ve trusted me in showing you that options exist…
Rock n’ Roll Dude
Xman (:KWL)

Hey Commodus, see the thread I started on Rising Antivirus Free & comment also as Vettetech did after I convinced him to give a whirl, let us know your thoughts and be objective after checking out the full potential of this Antivirus while we all patiently await CAVS3…

I installed Rising AV in a virtual machine and the system crashed,hahaha.
I formated the VM.
Very bad.

As I posted in the other thread of Rising Antivirus - I installed Rising 2008 on my moms comp to replace AVG 8.
My thought are similar to Vett’s :slight_smile:

Nice GUI with neon lights ;D Low resourse consumption - 10 - 15 meg when idle and about 45 - 100 while doing a full scan.

Cons - 160 install folder size, no webshield.

Overall - it’s a good competitor to other Free antiviruses - AVG 8 (beats it) Avira and Avast

Yo Rafel, learn something, after Vettetechs’ post you really don’t strike as computer literate in my opinion, prove me wrong guy, if Rising Antivirus crashed on you you’ve got a ways to go dude
Xman (:NRD)

Hey Commodus glad to see your moms’ comp is a testing ground for your fantasies, now install RAV on your own computer & run it for all its worth and then and only then post back after indepth evaluation, don’t be shy
Rgds

Thanx Wolwerine, :wink: but I already have KIS 2009 installed on my main comp and now I’m waiting for CAVS 3 and CIS to show up :slight_smile:

But Rising Antivirus gets a B checkmark from me :slight_smile:

Hi Commodus, nice to see you’re waiting for CAVS3 as we all are did you really try Rising as suggested or are you faint of heart? You really have nothing to lose with this powerhouse app. Give it an honest try man!
Rgds
Xman (:KWL) :-TU

I tried it allright ;D It’s just too bloated for my liking (160 megs is quite a lot) and it runs 3-4 processes :slight_smile:
But it already caught a nasty in a flashdrive of my mothers friend ;D

Yo Commodus I’d like to think you & others near to you are up to snuff computer wise, so it caught a stranger on a flash drive, no ■■■■, good news and if you have only 60 gig of hard drive I’d be crying too, I’ve got 115 gb dude and the download was worth it!

It’s not like I’m afraid to lose some 160 mb of hard drive space ;D Like L.A. said - “It’s all about The Feeling” ;D
I have a 500 gb drive for my s**t and a 500 Gb external full of music, so I have the space required ;D

But you know - I paid for KIS 7, the license is valid for the 2009 release, so I’ll keep Kaspersky.

if you want to make some space, ditch all the unnecessary java updates of your machine and just keep the latest update if you have not done so…

Cha cha cha ;D Neo - I don’t use Java. ;D

Hey Commodus when something is bloated it doesn’t necessarily mean disk space. Bloated means it comes with so many bells and whistles and things you don’t need. Also it meas that it takes up too many resources. Rising is the lightest av I ever used. NOD32 runs 2 processes but the both add up to 40,000K. KAV uses 2 processes and added to about 36,000K. Avira Premium runs 6 processes adding to about 20,000K. Avast uses 6 processes adding to about 20,000K. And Rising uses 5 processes adding to 15,000K.