Manual Steps to uninstall Comodo AntiVirus

Yes, glad to hear you are still here. You may find the Comodo team to react faster to issues than just about anyone. Not only react, but fix as well.

Cheers,

Paul

Still waiting for some way to get CAV off my system. Seems this thread has died and I still can’t get rid of it. Firewall works great, but I can’t believe the AV was made so I can’t even get it off my system. Yes, I realize it is beta, but I have used betas before and uninstalling them was never a problem.

avrizic, I feel you pain. I found it impossible to get rid of it (:AGY). Hopefully this thread is being watched very carefully and is being worked on and is at the very top of issues to be resolved. I tried everything to get rid of it. Nothing worked even the suggestions from the CEO did not work. I hope a resolution can be found other than doing what I had to do which was a total system reload.

Didn’t work and my outlook is hooped now too and so I can’t even get email support. That and the AVG I uninstalled to try this (their uninstall works), is not working on re-install. Your software is blocking it from launching.

There should be a link to a tool on the main Comodo Web site.
I am starting to see this CAV uninstall issue popping up on other boards as well.
It is not going to look very good if you guys can’t find a way to uninstall your own software.

I know I can’t recomend it at this point and I will be letting people know what my experience has been until I can get this malware off of my system or a fix is available to make it useable.

Sorry if that hurts but I think you need to know what you are in for without an easy to use and reliable fix for this mess.

The complete manual uninstaller tool for CAV Beta 1.1 is written and its in QA now. We can expect it to be out in a day or two.

regards
Kishor

Any update to this?
I couldn’t find a link to the tool when I looked through the site today and it is 5 days later.
I have run the removal several times and the scripts severl times as well and still no luck with removal.

I just managed to get my system running again after some nasty problems on the weekend probably related to no antivirus on my computer as I can’t install anything with Comodo still on it.
I really could use some help with this as I am very close to having to format :C.

Hi, this is my first post on this forum.

Today I found out Comodo firewall and I’m quite satisfied with it.

I wanted to install the antivirus too, then I stopped when I saw all the problems uninstalling it.
But I would like to give a suggestion: being a beta, it should be installed through programs like “total uninstall” which (generally) should be able to completely remove anything you install through it.

Hope this tip can help someone.

Bye

A useful suggestion but a bit late for me considering that it will only work if installed before you install the possibly virus like software that the manufacturer can’t seem to remove from your system.

Yes a useful, but LATE suggestion. I was really hoping Comodo would have this fixed by now. Its been at least 3 weeks, since I ran into this…I know others had the probelm before me. I keep hearing how great their support staff and customer service is…however I am yet to see this resolved.

I guess you could say…it is free and it is a beta. You’re right…however, if you aren’t going to support your free products at least let people know. Also I have tried beta products from other companies too, the difference is…while maybe the program might have been buggy. There was never a problem getting it off my system. If there is no way to fix this or they aren’t going to fix this, we should at least be told. That way everybody can begin the enjoyable task of reformatting their systems to get rid of this, ummmmm…well thought out and designed program?

Its really a shame too. Their firewall is a good product. However, all the negativity they are receiving from this CAVS fiasco, can’t be good for their reputation. Its not only here, I’ve been to a lot of different sites trying to find some way of getting rid of this “infection”. There are quite a few negative reviews out there, thanks to this uninstallation problem. However, while I feel all this negative press would be bad…they don’t really seem to care.

Once again back to waiting…I guess there is no other chioce at the moment. Unless of course you enjoy reformatting your system.

There are 2 methods that I can think of to resolve this issue with CAVS…

Method 1

Download a small tool called SafeMSI. Simply put, it allows you to enable MS Installer in Safe-Mode.

Reboot into Safe-Mode. Run SafeMSI, this start MSI. Then uninstall CAVS by the normal Windows Add-Remove Programs.

Method 2

This is assuming Method 1 doesn’t work or you have already manually remove some CAVS components. Here we are going to totally disable CAVS (it works, I’ve used to switch between CAVS & Avast several times).

For this job I recommend the free tool ServiWin, mainly because it gives you control over both Windows Services & Drivers from one place. But, if you want to use the tools that Windows already has, then feel free.

Services: Find the service called Comodo Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Service & change its Startup Type to Disabled.

Drivers: Find the driver called Cavasm and change its Startup Type to Disabled.

Run MSCONFIG (System Configuration Utility) or whatever Start-up tool you use. Find the Comodo AntiVirus entry & disable it (uncheck the box if you’re using MSCONFIG & hit OK).

Reboot.

Now CAVS is not running at all. So, you should be able to uninstall it without issue (unless you’ve already manually remove some components) or do whatever you want.

Thanks for trying but, I can find neither the service or driver you mentioned, using ServiWin. So evidently this thing is not on my system…however it is always trying to install itself. Everytime I startup or shutdown…here comes the windows installer trying unsuccessfully to install Comodo AntiVirus. Evidently SOMETHING is still on my system, however finding it seems to be another matter.

OK. So, either MSI is broken (you could use Dial-a-fix to fix MSI) or something starting up, that shouldn’t (you could use HiJackThis to identify that… running through their own Analyzer and/or posting the log here).

Does that help?

I was able to find several entries via hijack this.
Thanks for your suggestion.
I can’t get rid of them though as they are not seen by the windows installer period.
I am not comfortable with regedit and I will try sytem config but the way this thing is rooted I am not holding out much hope.
By the silence at this forum from moderators I am starting to think that they made a big mistake and are not having an easy time finding a way to make this work themselves.
If it was a single event at startup I would have long forgotten it but it has made it impossible for me to reload AVG or disable the program itself and that ticks me off.
It also pops windows constantly everytime I try to open Outlook and every time I try to open IE or anything else it seems.
I would hope they are alocating a few more resources to fixing this issue but it would seem they are just fixing it in future revisions and leaving us hanging.

I hope I am wrong.
I go to other boards and hear that the rest of the applications and even this one seem to work well for most people but without a real uninstaller that works I find myself warning others on a regular basis that this is not ready for prime time, and that if I am left hanging with this mess I will never install another app from these guys as well as let everyone I know be aware of the lack of forethoght and beta support during development.

Did it and I can’t find the driver or the service you mentioned.
They are obviously in stealth mode or something but the app still tries to install window pops constantly.

No, you’re not meant to. There are tools that do these type of operations. MS Installer (MSI) only uninstalls applications installed by MSI and that are valid.

Did you run the log through their Analyzer?

I am not comfortable with regedit and I will try sytem config but the way this thing is rooted I am not holding out much hope.
Fair enough. But, I'm also sorry since that also means, in my opinion, that you do not qualify as a beta tester. Beta testing & knowing how to use RegEdit is a mandatory requirement in my book. This is not meant to be insulting to you in anyway, merely an observation of fact. Sorry.
By the silence at this forum from moderators I am starting to think that they made a big mistake and are not having an easy time finding a way to make this work themselves.
Huh? I am a forum moderator. What mistake?
If it was a single event at startup I would have long forgotten it but it has made it impossible for me to reload AVG or disable the program itself and that ticks me off.
Reload AVG.. disable AVG? Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.
It also pops windows constantly everytime I try to open Outlook and every time I try to open IE or anything else it seems. I would hope they are alocating a few more resources to fixing this issue but it would seem they are just fixing it in future revisions and leaving us hanging.

What pops-up? Post a screen shot or give me the box title & exact wording?*

*See below about Event Log.

I hope I am wrong.
About what?
I go to other boards and hear that the rest of the applications and even this one seem to work well for most people but without a real uninstaller that works I find myself warning others on a regular basis that this is not ready for prime time, and that if I am left hanging with this mess I will never install another app from these guys as well as let everyone I know be aware of the lack of forethoght and beta support during development.

It’s a free world.

Did it and I can't find the driver or the service you mentioned. They are obviously in stealth mode or something but the app still tries to install window pops constantly.

Not possible. There is no such thing as a stealth driver/service that ServiWin will not find & display. And CAVS certainly doesn’t use any such illusions anyway.

But, did you try the fix MSI (Fix Windows Installer) in DAF?

Check your Windows Event logs any message corresponding to the pop-ups your seeing. If you find any, cut ‘n’ paste examples of the errors here (you don’t need post lots… if it’s MSI related you’ll find it in the Application Event log).

Once I had a problem uninstalling a program. Here’s what I did to get rid of it. (Disclaimer: it worked for me, but I can’t say it’s a good procedure, so, maybe you don’t want to try it (:TNG) )

I used RegCleaner to stop all startup behaviours of the program, then re-booted my computer.

I manually erased all the files installed in the programs/… folder and all the other files of the program I could find on my computer.

Then I used RegCleaner to erase all the entries in the windows’ register. Regcleaner erases the entries made by a specific program, so you don’t have to do it yourself.

It worked for me. Never had OS stability problems, nor I’ve been bothered by that program anymore.

I don’t know if this is enough to get rid of Cav since I don’t know how rooted Cav is in your systems.

A more skilled moderator of this forum could evaluate this method…

Hope I explained myself clearly, since my english is quite rusty.

Bye

great so I need to hunt down another tool or more to get rid of CAV ::slight_smile:

Did you run the log through their Analyzer?
Yes
Fair enough. But, I'm also sorry since that also means, in my opinion, that you do not qualify as a beta tester. Beta testing & knowing how to use RegEdit is a mandatory requirement in my book. This is not meant to be insulting to you in anyway, merely an observation of fact. Sorry.
I guess your opinion means nada though as regedit experience is not even mentioned in the install or on the site that I could see Is this your opinion or fact ? you seem to be messed up with that.
Huh? I am a forum moderator. What mistake?
Sorry I should have said somebody that could actually follow up on what was mentioned regarding a new tool in a couple days to fix this mess. The mistake would be releasing a beta application that does not have a tool that can extract it from someones system.
Reload AVG.. disable AVG? Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.
I should have said re-install AVG and the disable was refering to CAV applications.
What pops-up? Post a screen shot or give me the box title & exact wording?[b]*[/b]

*See below about Event Log.
About what?

They pop up and disapeare almost instantly but tons of them.
The log says MS installer so I think it was trying to re-install

It's a free world.
Indeed it is so I formatted my hard drive to get rid of the ■■■■ and now I run a version of active virus shield. Sorry you got so offended that you felt a need to try and belittle me my friend but you did yourself and Comodo no favours by taking the high and mighty tack with a potential customer.
But, did you try the fix MSI (Fix Windows Installer) in DAF?
I have no idea what you are talking about here. I won't be trying anything though as I fixed it the hard and time wasting way after over a week of waiting for a suggestion that worked from the company that manufactures the apllication.
Check your Windows Event logs any message corresponding to the pop-ups your seeing. If you find any, cut 'n' paste examples of the errors here (you don't need post lots.. if it's MSI related you'll find it in the Application Event log).
I did and then I said,"forget it, I am not wasting any more time on this", and formated C. I really do hope you fix it in the next release. I really do appreciate vendors that offer free software. I just feel a little cheated with having tried a beta in gooid faith and been left hanging with promisses that never were delivered on. Don't look for any subsequent reply or purchases from me or the company I work for in the future. So little needed to be done to make me happy but it was beyond Comodo's capabilities I guess.

I’m sorry you didn’t notice what I had posted about the “MSI (Fix Windows Installer) in DAF” (or Dial-a-Fix) in a previous post. Since based on what you just said about the pop-ups, it would have saved you from doing a format.

I was not my intent to annoy you. In the absence of the tool that would help you & given your growing frustration, which was completely understandable, I decided to make a serious attempt to help.

Nice try Kail. Don’t worry too much - he has made his decision not to use CAVS or Comodo products and that’s his right to use the software he chooses, and everyone needs to respect his right to do just that.

One pojnt that you have missed during the uninstall is the remove the LSPs that CAVS inserts into the IP stack. These can be removed by using something like lspfix.,exe from www.cexx.org.

We’ll miss his future purchases of the free products, though. :wink:

Ewen :slight_smile:

panic, I also choose to get rid of CAVS at this time. However I was unable to get rid of the program. I had to do a total restore from the manufacturer disk. I surely hope Comodo is working on this issue. I feel that the firewall is great. I am sure the rest of the products will be awesome as well.