Manual Steps to uninstall Comodo AntiVirus

Comodo are fully aware of the issue. I’m hoping i will be finally laid to rest with version 2.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Bringing this thread back to life again :slight_smile:
After removing CAV 1.1 and installing CAV 2 at boot up the installer keeps starting for about 1 minute then goes away!

I have done all the suggested removal procedures (I had to in order to get V2 to install)

The system also takes a long time to open up the main CAV control panel.
I right click show CAV antivirus and it takes at least 2 minutes for the control panel to come up.

Sorry for adding some issues with V2 but I figured this was a good place to put the problem with the installer of 1.1

Anybody have any suggestions?

UNSOLDER it from my motherboard as Melih posted earlier :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Dr Pete

that bloody installer with V1 has caused us so much problems (:AGY)… sorry guys…
Hopefully with v2 that is fixed… (if you can ever get rid off V1 to install v2 that is :))

Melih

For me, the installer doesn’t last that long; maybe 5-10 seconds (outside of logging in to Windows); the only thing it has is the “cancel” button, and that it’s preparing to install (doesn’t say what it will install); I always click cancel. Once logged into Win, the installer flashes once or twice for no more than one second; just enough to see it, no buttons or text that I’ve noticed.

There seems to be some sort of ghost installer remnant that thinks it needs to reinstall Beta 1.1. (:AGY)

I’m technical enough that I can rip the CAVS reg entries to shreds (CAV, CAVAS, CAVSM, CAVEML, etc) with RegSeeker & Regedit, and delete every file remnant that I can find thru process/file viewers, Agent Ransack, etc. (If ur having trouble w/Beta 1.1, see my process in Beta Corner for how I got rid of Beta 1.1 (it ain’t pretty). But how do I find a ghost installer that doesn’t exist, but is still there? Beta 1.1 is gone, best I can tell, but something thinks it’s supposed to be there!

Any suggestions from the super-techs? Are there installation setup files stored somewhere I’m not aware of (some tiny, hidden file?)? Some registry entry that says nothing about Comodo or Antivirus or CAVS etc, but is still linked?

aargh! You gotta know, I didn’t get much work done since Thursday afternoon! Fortunately, there’s not a whole lot going on right now, and my boss is easy-going. :slight_smile: :■■■■

LM

Well I finally managed to uninstall it :BNC I reinstalled Windows, lol. My son didn’t care though, he had it so gunked up anyway and it’s been quite some time since an install has been done. A little while longer and CAV 2 will be on there. :■■■■ No need to apologize Melih, a T-shirt would do. lolllll. ;D

Paul

1st off, KEEP UP the good work everyone…Positive attitudes and jokes go a long way when your machine isn’t playing nice.

Now to business… I have done the same as Little Mac and used a number of reg cleaners, installer cleaners, deleted every install file I can find for 1.1, it just got to the point the installer now will go away with 1 mouse click when it first shows its ugly head :slight_smile:

New plan of attack. Posted here in case anyone wants to do the same. (Or tell me Iam crazy)

1. Delete all the comodo CAV files.

2. Searching for a good uninstaller that will monitor installs. (suggestions here appreciated)

3. Reinstall 1.1 (yes Iam a glutton for punishment)

4. Using the monitor to then uninstall again and search for what gets left behind.

5. This is the 5 step plan for success :slight_smile: (optomistic aren’t I )

Thoughts, suggestions welcome (soldering iron sitting by my side)

Keep up the work guys, nice to have so many people with fun positive attitudes, makes my day go better even when I don’t get much work done :slight_smile:

Hi DrPete, actually you have very good thoughts\methods going, great work! I would like to mention that in my case, I couldn’t re-install V.1 at all. I have all sorts of reg tools, nothing would find the left over CAV files. I went through the registry manually like I used to do for other cases, searched, nothing. Downloaded programs that were supposed to get rid of it, nothing. The only indication of it on my machine was when i’d go to install any Comodo product, it would say already installed. I tried it in safe mode, tried sfc /scannow, regedit, fix it -utilities, reg cleaner, reg mechanic, manually went through, hijack this, among a few others. I finally came to the conclusion it was hiding and didn’t want to be found. I will use Paragon Exact Image to make an image before install this time, not doubting CAV 2 but I would do this anyway. I think everyone was frustrated with CAV 1 with the uninstall issue, especially Melih. Now he’s going to kick over all the workers water dishes and give them ten lashings each…<that’s if he’s in a good mood. :wink: ;D

Paul

Paul, lodge a support ticket and ask them what clsid’s are set up ij the registry when cav1.X is installed and then remove them as well. Also, look for any uninst leftovers from installshield

goodluck. I dont know what else to offer as CAVS1.X uninstalled very cleanly on ym home test systems and on my work test systems. CAVS2 installed beautifully on the work test system. DONT ASK how it is going on the home test box!!!

JUST DONT ASK!

ewen :frowning:

How’s it going on the home test box? :smiley:

Of all people to tell not to ask, it had to be me, right? lol. Thanks for the suggestion. I simply reinstalled the OS today, well actually my son did it. He wants to throw CAV 2 on among other things but I told him it’s beta and I want to do a Paragon first just in case.

Paul

Paul

Very well thought-out, DrPete. Feel free to go for it. :slight_smile: My concern would be that there would still be some hidden remnant from the “first” install of Beta 1.1 that would remain, even after the “second” install of Beta 1.1 was done away with cleanly and completely. Might not be the case at all, but I’m just so scared it would still be there, haunting me. :cry:

When I was compiling my various uninstallers to try to get it eradicated, I came across quite a few that track the install like what you’re talking about. I didn’t spend any real time looking at them, as that wasn’t what I thought I was looking for, so I don’t know names, costs, etc. Any of the download sites, tho- MajorGeeks, Softpedia, SnapFiles, Download.com, etc - they all had 'em.

Definitely keep posting your process - I think it will be of great help to others (probably me!).

Paul, have you done that? If not, I will be happy to. That could very well be part of the problem. I know I took out several clsid’s that came up in my searches, but that may not be all…

Ewen, any thoughts on where those uninst leftovers might be found, or how to search for them? I did find some, but you might have a better idea, being as I think ur brain works better 'n mine. :THNK

LM

Sorry thought I answered in Ewen’s reply but didn’t . No I didn’t but re-installed windows. I had tried this prior with some clsids but didn’t work.

TX

Paul

Okay, I filed a ticket w/support, asking about CLSIDs and anything else they can think of that might be a place to look for installation remnants, etc. Ticket VEO-774436. I requested either email response, or posting in the forum, here or where I posted in the Beta Corner. If they email, I will post their response in the forum as well.

LM

DrPete, here’s an uninstaller that will monitor those changes: Z-Soft. I should’ve remembered; I got that one as well, but I guess I wasn’t thinking about it at that point. You have to take a “snapshot” before & after the installation, and it will track all the changes, for later reversal.

I think I’ll have to start using that as well, since Kishor said CAVS2 has to be uninstalled/reinstalled with the weekly updates while they’re doing the first-run beta testing.j

BTW, this installation window popup is becoming more pervasive. It stayed close to a minute at startup today (rather than the seconds it was previously), and although the post-login window is still just a split-second, there are now about 5 of them instead of one or two. Support emailed back that my question was being given to the developers and they would get back w/me.

LM

Thanks for the confidence everyone and the help with zsoft Little Mac.

Unfortunately my plan of attack did not work! (but I wasted a day at work again:) )

BUT it did help my find something new.

Need HELP, I found some comodo keys and cannot delete them with everything I have tried, including booting into safe mode and using manual deletion and tools.

The key (keys) are located in the registry here on my machine:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\LEGACY_COMODO_ANTI-VIRUS_AND_ANTI-SPYWARE_SERVICE

Any help deleting these greatly appreciated.

Dr Pete

Well, it’s always fun to waste some time, right? :wink: Sorry that didn’t work as planned. What exactly went wrong with the process?

I’ll have to look thru the history of my actions, but that regkey looks very very familiar. At any rate, I know I took some out that were of the …\Enum\Root\Legacy… type. My guess is perhaps it’s attached to an active service (namely, Antivirus & Antispyware service), and this is stopping you from deleting it. You might try this:

1. Download ServiWin 1.3 (if you don’t already have it); here’s one place you can get it - http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/ServiWin.shtml. This shows services and drivers and their current/startup state.
  2. Install it, run it, click on the 2nd set of gears icon (the right-hand set); this will show the services.
  3. Find Comodo Antivirus and Antispyware Service; it will probably be “Started” and “Automatic”
  4. Change that to “Stopped” and “Disabled”
  5. Reboot (just for good measure)
  6. Try to delete the regkey and see what happens.

Are you using something like RegSeeker, Registry Mechanic, or just RegEdit? (or all of the above…:slight_smile: )

Let me know how that works for you.

Also, Ewen posted a couple progs over in the Useful Free Programs thread, from Epsilon Squared http://www.epsilonsquared.com/. You’ll see them on the main page. They monitor installation changes - one monitors, one monitors and makes a package for you. Could help in this scenario…

LM

Hi Little Mac,
Thanks for the useful program and links.
I used so many I don’t remember all, but the one that found the register key that got missed previously was by sysinternals regmon it monitors everything during bootup and creates a log file.

We need a program that shows what is starting, I can never find this as a service running. And so far my start programs don’t show what this is or I just miss it.
My log file was 65mb for some reason, I don’t know if this is normal startup, seems huge to me.
Good thing search is a function :wink:

The deletion and file compare method just put me back at the beginning again.
Interesting thou that it didn’t find these keys, maybe they were still there from the previous installs.

I did have everything clean and removed while I was testing this procedure.

Right now I did get the key deleted, for some reason it was also locked and late in the day I didn’t realize this in order to delete it.

Same problem, after boot up about 30 seconds then the installer pops up very quickly, if you blink you’ll miss it.

Trying the registry monitor on boot up again.

Not wanting to give up but I am running out of ideas (HELP COMODO PROGRAMMERS)
Now I know why some people have fixed this by format and reinstall.
Machine needs a cleaning anyways (its been at least 6 months since I formatted and did a clean install)

I read some people that try out the BETA programs are upset.
Please with all due respect if your reading this BETA means if your system crashes you should almost expect this, thats why they call it BETA testing.
Sometimes all works out and problems are minor ( I still consider this just an annoyance that I would like to clean up)
It doesn’t affect the machine operation that I can tell.

Thanks again for the help,

Dr Pete

Wouldn’t surprise me, the size of the logfile. If I understand correctly, RegMon shows all registry activity, so the same regkey may get triggered several times by an app, or it may be shared by a family of apps, depending on the startup processes. Since there are so many derivations of the CAVS files/processes (CAVS, CAVAS, CAVSM, etc) there may be some reg sharing; dunno…

I know my CAVS troubleshoot logfile was 34M this morning; I had to zip it to send it to them, and it was still more than 1M.

Hmm, so we’re back to square 1. Oh well, it was worth a try. ;D Yes, Beta-testing can be tricky. And frustrating, yes, but I don’t think it’s fair to blame it all on the app, either. You gotta expect it. :wink: And so many variables come into play. I didn’t have this problem when uninstalling/reinstalling Beta 1.1 before, but apparently Beta 2 is very particular, and reinstalling the same app was probably quite a bit easier, same install engine and all.

When this gets figured out, I think it will be very interesting. Can’t wait! I’m gonna keep working on it (and hopefully development will respond to my support ticket with some ideas). There’s some sort of tag in the system that keeps running the autoinstaller, and I think that’s key… I don’t think it’s so much about CAVS as it is about the installer, so I’m approaching it from that point.

I have a fair amount of liberty w/my time, so it’s not as big a deal for me as it is for some.

LM

Dr Pete,

Check this one out - a new one from Sysinternals (now over at Microsoft Technet). It may be helpful w/what we’re trying to do, combining kind of an all-in-one sorta deal. Process Monitor

LM

Hi Little Mac,
Your on top of things, I was just reading about this new version and waiting for it to become available. Taking a look to see if it will help us out.

Another thought I had, microsoft has uninstaller programs available that clean up installs.
Taking a look, I’ll report back and see what might work ( or crash harder :slight_smile: )
BTW, is it possible to see what the installer was that cav 1.1 uses?
I assume the powers that be already asked the maker for a fix to no avail?
It might be helpful.

Thanks again,

Dr Pete

AFAIK, it’s Windows Installer (MSInstaller), and whenever that installer popup rears its ugly head, the MSIServer (Windows Installers) is running. After the popup goes away, the MSIServer disappears after a few seconds.