Give all that for FREE!!! What's the Catch? How does Comodo Make Money?

People shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth. They should be grateful that there are people/companies/corporations out there that still give a ■■■■.

Great stuff! I like the firewall lots! The only thing that bugs me a bit is that the Comodo moderators sig pictures aren’t large enough (:LGH)

My very first stalker!

In the majority of cases, you should feel grateful, not concerned! LOL

LMAO I ain’t no stalker!!! What do they say about 2 negatives making a positive? I was merely stating that some of the Comodo Mods have very small Signature images (:WIN) (:NRD)

Hello Melih
I wish to Thank You for providing such a excellent Firewall, I have only been using it for the last 4 days and am really impressed with the features.
I take my online security seriously and feel I am now far better protected online using the Comodo personal Firewall.

Best Regards

Terry White        (R)

I only want to say: it is great !,thanks a lot!

(S) Hello to all and i want to thanks all developers for this nice work they have done!!!
At last I see a wonderfull free firewall!!! I am just wondering if we could help all of you about that, and see a mobile edition about that, or have seperated antivirus and firewall ? Is gonna be a blacklist that blocks some critical attacks from pcs? or blacklisted files?

Thank you ALL!! (B)

Keep Going and Good Luck :wink:

Thx, for this great free Firewall. :BNC

Mike

The Netherlands

I recently downloaded copies of Comodo based on high ratings from where I read about your products. I read PC Magazine as well and amazed that your product outperformed some of the known names in this industry.

Of interest is your separation of the products that is Anti-spam, anti-virus and firewall not like others bundled together. Hopefully you will not bundle these awesome products together at some point. A firewall should be a firewall and antispam should be one, not 130+MB products sitting on the PC eating memory away.

It has been wonderful so far besides I will want to see some changes -

I will talk on that in other section of your site.

Dele Olawole

I’m totally agree with you here :slight_smile:

(V)

Thank You!
I searched for AV and FW products for months, because I wanted to replace NIS after years of using.
I found Comodo products and its look nice. :slight_smile:
So, from yesterday I’m using CAV and CPF on my XP system AMD computer.
Looks good and FREE !!! :BNC
I wanted to write THANK YOU !!!
(L)

Great to hear that!

Thank you for putting your Trust in Comodo to protect you!

Melih

Well, it’s nice to see yet another free firewall. I’ve been pretty happy with Kerio, but I think I’ll give Comodo a try, too.

What I can’t understand is why there’s so much surprise on this thread at the existence of free, useful software? I mean, Zone Alarm and Kerio firewalls have been around for YEARS, plus great products like AVG and Avast anti-virus, SpyBot and AdAware anti-spyware, the Firefox browser, Thunderbird email client, IrfanView graphics viewer, VNC remote control, and the list goes one an on. To read this discussion, you’d think this was the first free software anyone had ever heard of!

And what’s with all the animated smileys, avatars, and graphic siggies? Man, this is about the “busiest” forum I think I’ve ever seen. I think I’ll have to do some judicious AdBlock if I ever need to spend much time here.

Congrats on getting mentioned in the Windows Secrets newsletter - that’s how I found this place.

Welcome to the forums, rodak!

You can block out the signatures and avatars under your profile, in the Look and Layout Preferences area. If you’re using Firefox, you can block the images there, too. I don’t remember settings for emoticons, other than in the Addition Options when posting; but I think that’s only for that post.

As far as users’ excitement about the free software, I think it comes from the fact that it’s full-version software, and that the Comodo development team actually interacts with, and listens to, their users. For instance, with AVG, Avast, Zone Alarm, even AdAware, if you get the free version, you do not have access to all the features which are otherwise available. With Comodo products, each one is full-version, full-feature application, with a free-for-life license.

LM

Thanks for the tips, Little Mac. Now I see the forums with just information, and none of the other “happy stuff” - yay!

I agree, that some freeware, like ZA, AVG, and such have commercial full-featured versions, but I’ve yet to find any that offered features I felt I had to have (and I’m an IT Professional, so you’d think I’d be pretty demanding!).

I’ll give Comodo a try, and am anxious to see how it works out. An active support staff and user community is definitely a plus. I must admit that most of the posts I used to see on ZA’s forum had to do with problems installing (and un-installing). I’ve never tried Kerio’s forum (if there is one) because I never needed it!

Hi,

We recently got high-speed and so I have been working on buffing up my net security. I reviewed an article that I had clipped a while back by a local IT columnist that had COMODO listed as a free firewall and AV provider. So yes, the word is getting around, secondhand, thirdhand, etc… Your plan seems to be working in that sense to use freeware to accomplish brand name recognition. (It certainly worked for the phone companies and internet when they got started!) I came to your site and am planning on trying all of your freeware. I hope it works as well as it sounds that it will and integrates with other security programs that I am currently running. I also think it’s great that you have worked a little altruism into your business plan. It also seems to me to be a good idea to provide people with something of value that represents what you do that will help them get more acquainted with your for-pay products. That’s something that I do in my line of work and I think it reaps benefits more than most people would initially think. We’re so caught up as a society in the “Pay me NOW!” concept that it seems many have forgotten the benefits that “One good turn…” can create. So kudos and good luck.

My second thought is that SOMEONE has to pay the bill. We’ve all got to eat, ya know? And unless you folks are robots or aliens from outer/inner space - as I’m sure some might conjecture - you’ve got to eat and sleep somewhere warm and safe. Which means you’ve got to have income coming in to EVENTUALLY pay for all this tremendous effort that you are putting forth. And in this case, it seems that that income will come from the business owners. To me it seems that your are not just giving away free software, but in doing that you are also creating a large pool of users that businesses must purchase your other software to access. So in a way you are almost creating a sort of dependence upon your other software. Not a true dependence I s’pose, because we all have freedom of choice, but I’m sure that pool of software users will look mighty tasty to web business and that that is what you are counting on. Smart yes. Even shrewd. Which I must give you credit for.

My concern is this. I am also a business owner. And someday I would like to have a website. Hopefully one that is as secure as your desktop security suite attempts to make my little laptop. How can I be certain that if I want to someday make use of your business security products, that the power created by amassing such a large consumer user pool won’t go to your head and result in such outrageous cost for business class software that little fellows like me will be forced to genuflect and make sacrificial offerings simply to be able enter into the lowest level tier of your business security lines? Will your altruism continue into the realm of business software as well? Or is all of this really part of your diabolical plan to take over the planet and all of net security offerings??

Lastly… do you guys have any private or public stock yet that I can buy? (:WIN)

Evan

Welcome, Evan! (:WAV)

There is a large amount of proof (well, maybe just conjecture…) that at the very least Melih is an extraterrestrial. Something about the name, I think… ;D

I’ll let him comment on their business plans and the state of their stock offerings.

Feel free to poke around, be sure to read through the FAQs (as most questions are answered there…), and ask questions as you need; someone will be glad to help you.

LM

Hi Evan

Sorry for the late reply. The inter-planetary communication was affected by gamma rays hence the delay (:KWL)

You have understand our business model quite well.
The question of pricing us out of market is not an issue that you have to worry about with Comodo as at the end of the day each market segment rely on certain price points. We as a company understand that and make sure to keep within those parameters. No point in shooting ourselves in the foot :wink:

Melih

I just “discovered” Comodo, (love the name, but hate lizards!!). Have so far installed the firewall and antivirus. Am very impressed with the firewall so far - ran a stealth test and every port (of the first 1050) was stealthed. That is the first huge issues taken care of, I will see how performance goes over the next while.

I have not, as yet, run a full virus scan, but on install the program found a suspicious file (which it labelled a virus, but I have not fully confirmed to my own satisfaction that as fact, as that file has been there since I have had the computer. And, yes, I have always had a full complement of security software. . .) and took neccesary steps to protect my system.

I have yet to install other components (it is a bit of a lengthy process), but I look forward to availing my system of, what appear to be, terrific security software. You can be sure I will spread the word and I have 2 friends who are aware that I have been checking out security sofware and are awaiting my verdict. For several years I have used a very well known software, which I had recommend to friends, but I and others have become disenchanted with it.

Thank you for providing these programs that me and my budget do not have to have an argument about!!