Give all that for FREE!!! What's the Catch? How does Comodo Make Money?

My fault Justin. I shoul have said “A” free version. Keep up the good work. (:KWL) (CWY) (CNY) (CLY) (R)

No problem :smiley:

I love it!!! Hey do I get stars for referrals - I’m telling you, I got the grass roots covered. I trell everybody 'bout you guys. Thank you so very much - for the time and effort you put into building a great product for the little guys.

Rm

(R) (R) (S) (S) (S) (:CLP) (:CLP)

Thank you Rossman, pls keep up the good work!
BTW: we do have an in house Rossman too :slight_smile: (Rossy boy you know who I’m talking about :slight_smile: )

Melih

About 2 weeks ago I received my new Dell laptop and the first thing I did was format it and get rid of all the crapwear (including MaCafe). After that I was looking for a new AV and a Firewall for free. (coz there is no way I’m gonna pay for something like that, when there are free products available)

Then I saw some users at forum.notebookreview.com has suggested COMODO.
So I decide to give it a try.

I liked it very much, it’s really great.
But the only downside is the memory usage of the Anti Virus.
Currently it’s the second app that uses most amount of memory in my PC (first is yahoo messenger)
Anyway try to work on it guys

Great Job (:AGL)

Hi and welcome,

From CAVS beta 2 (should be released 18th September Mid October (Edited by Melih :slight_smile: ) you should see a reduction in resource useage. Remember CAVS is still a beta so will be improved constantly until its stable release mid-October.

Again welcome to Comodo and the forums,
Mike

Greetings all, and thank you so very kindly, as I have been looking for a firewall to control my apps, (inbound as well as outbound) and norton was about the only one who had this feature, but always has scripting errors on the settings panel, requiring re-installation, and additional licenses after so many, even though it is their fault, and of course dis-able the trusted apps list–don’t like anything to allow anything without asking first, since a trusted application can be written to slip through and ruin your day, as well as others LoL
There are very few companies who offer this kind of service, and have found most too be better than anything I have purchased thus far.
Since they reason as you do, as for creating a safer market for us all…
Have tried many different firewalls and none seem to provide a user friendly atmosphere, while still giving us control over the programs.
Outstanding, and certainly the best of revenues, as you help protect the web–Kudos
And my sincerest Prayers that the symantech grizzly, does not find away to acquire, and destroy your products, as they have done in the past, to other fine services (isn’t there a law against that LoL --I wish…
???
Enough of the nattering Heh—again thanks–immensely–for a choice, we can all afford, and stand proud in… Just name your price–so to speak–full support here !!!
(V)
Sincerest Blessings
darrell

Thank you Darrell :slight_smile:

(CLY)
Melih

I had few questions poised to me about our motives and how we could possible continue to give free products if we don’t make money. Also some of the questions was raising issues about whether simply using free products to build brand was enough of an ROI. So I thought it would be a good thing to answer these publicly as there might be others asking similar questions.

Well all good questions and let me try to answer them.

Of course we will make money from our products. But as always said, unlike the traditional methods that one would expect, we are innovators at every level and let me try to explain what I mean by that.
We have chosen to forgo the Desktop security market in return for brand awareness. Simply put we will make money from enterprises selling them Central management products that manages our free desktop security products. Of course if enterprises want to have no central management and just free desktop security, they are more than welcome to it, for free. This becomes a very lucrative business for Comodo. Of course those businesses who buy our central management will also buy our other products.

And talking about brand, we see many customers going for a bigger brand (not cheaper) cos its a bigger brand… its the “noone gets sacked buying an IBM” mentality that many still has. So building brand is very important and anyone who thinks building a brand does not bring considerable revenue can think again! cos it does!

Of course there are 2 other methods, that we have innovated in terms of business model, which I can’t reveal here. Just wait and see! (:NRD)

As I always said, responsible people should make as much as possible as they do responsible things with it. So Comodo will make money from all these initiatives, but will always keep it free for the desktop users.

Internet and Computing industry is constantly evolving, now keyword search advertising is a multi-billion market thanks to innovations from likes of Google, Overture (now Yahoo) etc. There will always going to be new ways of making money, its just because Comodo does not fit a certain business model one might be familiar with does not mean Comodo won’t make money.

The success of CPF has already positively affected Comodo, in such way that, we were able to justify increasing the dev team size 3 fold (yep 3 fold). So the strategy has already shown itself to be working and generating revenue for Comodo thru brand awareness! So this increase in development capability has already enabled the team to work on CPF v3 with HIPS and many other improvements which will all be free!

Supermarkets don’t make money selling Milk or beans (in England anyway) ! And its always at the back of the supermarket! Milk is a commodity product that everyone needs and while you are on your way to get milk you get to see other products that you might buy!

I hope I was able to answer some of these questions…
pls feel free to ask more if you like…

Melih

Hi Melih -

I saw your conversation with the folks in the newsgroup - (to idiots, I won"t reply) - I think you did well keeping your grip. Some of the folks clearly think linear where, “all companies have one product”. If they just went to the home page, they would figure out that is simply not true, and the smoke might clear a little from their eyes.

Simpletons…

No worries - Comodos desktop products are proving themsleves valuable everyday and that word is truly spreading. I hear about Comodo AV and Firewall all the time.

Thanks again, and again - Do not let them get you down!!

Rossman

Thanks Rossman… much appreciated

Melih

I am truly glad to hear that the release of CPF is generating revenue to you (:CLP)

I see some negative comments about the freeware policy here and there (some really funny conspiracy theories too) I think it is a great acknowledgment of your product when all they can come up with is about the fact that you give it away. They dont seem to find any flaws in the security CPF offers.
I do promote your product when ever I can. In fact I do have to restrain myself when I start feel like a new born christian :slight_smile:
Because I have noticed that when something (especially in the computing community) gets too much positive publicity there will be some who start to hate instead.

I do wish the comodo company all the best of luck. You deserve it.

Thank you Sukarof

Its a totally new business model and it will take for people to understand.

I really appreciate your encouraging words and your help spreading the word :slight_smile:

thanks
Melih

Hey, you’ve got my vote! (V)

Obviously, there are still some glitches to work out with the products, but whaddayou know, you’re working on them! Wow, what a concept! And support actually responds with something besides, “Please uninstall and reinstall, then try again.” (Oh, I hate it when Mc**** says that!)

I’m using CPF and Vault at work, and also evaluating CAVS’ activities. I’ve tried AntiSpam at home, but uninstalled it due to some difficulties; I will get those addressed so that I can give it a full try, and I just installed Vault there as well. I’ve used AVG, ZA, and several iterations of McAfee; I’m currently using TrendMicro Internet Security at home. By the time my license there expires, I think the Comodo products will be to the point where they provide everything TM does for me right now, and more.

I found Comodo by searching in Windows regarding email certs, and Windows gives a list of places to see, to sign up - Comodo was at the top of the list. Then I found there is oh, so much more!!!

As has been mentioned elsewhere regarding LaunchPad, McAfee’s version is truly intrusive, very pushy on pushing additional products (when you’ve already paid for what you have, and have to pay for the next one you get), and a complete and total memory hog! Oh, and I’ve had a heck of a time trying to uninstall their products - they just won’t leave! Uninstaller won’t get rid of it entirely, the apps are still using resources (even though the program is gone), and you can’t manually delete the files because they’re “in use” (invisibly, it seems; I can’t find the source of the usage). I’ve gone on search and destroy missions in the registry and gotten rid of orphaned entries manually and via various cleaning products. Bah!

Anyway, I like what I’ve seen of Comodo so far, and am eager to see what you do from here!

Feel free to move/copy/link this post to anywhere else in the forum where it seems appropriate.

LM

Thanks for the great products!!! :wink:

I first installed the Personal Firewall which a friend recommended to me. I was really impressed by this…but I did not yet know about the other products. I only read about the other products here now…and I’m downloading them as I type this.

I’ve been recommending Comodo SSL certificates to all of my clients over the past year. I’ve installed a bunch of them as well. It’s really great! I love it!

Thanks again guys! You are tops! (B)

Thank you Little Mac
Thank you Contrid

We really appreciate your kind words and support.

thanks
Melih

Okay, I’m a little confused. In the two months I have run Comodo, I have never had a problem with massive memory usage on any of the 6 computers in my home running Comodo FW and AV. I did have a problem when I was attempting to run C FW, AV, and Avast! all together, but disabling the On-Access Scanner on C took care of that problem. Anyone want to fill me in on how you are filling up your memory with Comodo??? Maybe it’s not comodo…

Hello !

I’m a portuguese developer working on a enterprise of IT.
Is my responsability the security of applications sources, and all the rest on a big network (+ 50 Pc).

The Internet/Mail access of all users are protected with m0nowall/ClamWin+SpamAssassin.

But, with Diskette/Cd/Dvd/Usb disk, etc … access on every network machine, the cu$t of a complete security system is big. (+50 Pc).

With Comodo applications, the problem was solved ! :slight_smile:

I think the future goes to be Free !

My boss put me the question:
Free !? What’s the catch ? How does … make money ?
I like to go free, but … ?

I already send a mail with this link to him.
I think he understand !

Great job !
(Sorry for my bad english, but I speak portuguese very well :))

Oh good to hear :slight_smile:

Melih

BBC is doing a number of articles online about security, very good stuff.
Comodo there is mentioned as a free firewall.
Nice boost for Comodo (:WAV)

Below a part of the article.

A firewall is also an essential piece of security software for PC users. Newer versions of Windows XP have a firewall built in and this will give you protection against nuisance attacks and many of the more serious ones.
HI-TECH CRIME PLANS
The BBC News website is running a series of features throughout the week
Tuesday: What did we catch in our honeypot?
Wednesday: Anatomy of a spam e-mail and hackers face to face
Thursday: How to spot a phishing scam

However some people feel that the Windows XP firewall is a bit limited in its features. Many anti-virus programs have a firewall bundled with them.

There are free firewalls available too from firms such as Comodo and Zone Alarm.