First impressions of CIS v12.2.2.7062 [unofficial release topic]

CIS v12.2.2.7062 is unofficially available. It is not an official test build but the signs suggest it may be.

Change log as published at the release notes pages:
Comparing to previous release CIS 12.2.2.7036

Improved
− Cloud backup
− File submission problems

New
− CIS going to use reduced(light) database in default. Option added to updates section who wants to change database to regular one.

Fixed
− Ipv4 loopback filtering remove problem
− No welcome screen at startup
− File list export still saves when canceled
− Issue in switching configurations
− Display wrong scan priority
− Desktop shortcut doesn’t change after product upgraded to AV Advanced
− Translation of “Show Files” added
− Scan exclusions’ translation added
− Malwares detected by manual scan removed instead of quarantined
− Web filtering doesn’t accept valid string (e.g. “.comodo.com/”)
− Tray icon status problem
− A file will be trusted which blocked by Viruscope and unblocked by user.
− Product name is not updated in programs & features after activating new license key.
− GUI window rendering bug
− False unrecognized files after running “Autorun Analyzer” from KillSwitch
− Wrong activation of warranty log
− Option “Go to folder” not available for Firewall and Hips rules
− Unrecognized non-executables file is not displayed in File List when it is opened by widget
− Network zones ip copy&paste issue
− Microsoft Silverlight alert in Run Virtual Desktop
− “Ignore once” action in web filtering will be logged.

The most important change is the introduction of the reduced (light) AV database.

The build is both available using the program updater with the download server set to the beta server (178.255.86.194) and as an online installer.
Setup Details:
In order to install online setups, please ensure you have following entries in Windows hosts (c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts) file:

178.255.86.194 download.comodo.com
178.255.86.194 www.download.comodo.com

Or alternatively

Set Proxy and Host Settings to 178.255.86.194 (see attached image).

Comodo Internet Security 12.2.2.7062:
http://178.255.86.194/cis/download/installs/8030/web/cispremium_installer.exe

Size: 5,44 MB (5.712.776 bytes)
MD5: 734870F6A937C4442E8E21F3C445E5A1
SHA-1: 5C5C89506A36E5563B41A058D5F7477BCAD0A82E

Comodo Firewall Installer
http://178.255.86.194/cis/download/installs/8030/web/cfw_installer.exe
Size: 5.44MB (5,712,776 bytes)
MD5: 996021C66860B49433A44DA582091407
SHA-1: 7E8229066CE83A47F73EADBD056CEA93B9DBB9B3

Comodo Antivirus Installer
http://178.255.86.194/cis/download/installs/8030/web/cav_installer.exe
Size: 5.44MB (5,712,776 bytes)
MD5: A6B0AEC811672102E9B515901495C30A
SHA-1: 201A851FC8FC10ADBD6DAC1593B6C3F02E3B574F

When updating from a previous version CIS will use the full database instead of the reduced database. To force CIS to use the reduced database rename the database file in the E:\ProgramData\Comodo\Cis\signatures folder. The name of the database file looks like b#######.cav with # denoting a number. Rename it to b#######.cav.bak. Then run the AV update and make sure the download server is set to the beta server. This is at your own risk.

:-TU :-TU :-TU

Another update now to 12.2.2.7062

I won’t be trying the beta but would appreciate if someone can point out the improvements with the new light database feature, such as database file size, resource usage, etc.

Can anyone please explain what are the advantages or disadvantages of a lightweight signature base besides size?

We see NEW & FIXED, but are there any KNOWN ISSUES with .7062?

It seems that the right menu of the mouse in explorer circumstance is stuck (effectively display with minute’s delay) after installing CIS.

Hi all!
I downloaded the Comodo Firewall installer release 12.2.2.7062, but when I launch it I receive error message attached.

I mean: the installer initialization failed, because of internet connection failed (status code: http 404).

Thank you for your attention!

Simple, less effective signature based detection of malware as not all signatures are available in the lighter database. So malware that would have been detected with the full database might not get detected with the lighter database, and assuming the lighter db only contains signatures for newer malware, then old malware won’t be detected at all unless you use the full database.

Instructions are pretty clear on what you need to do in order to use beta builds, maybe actually read the post instead of skipping straight to the download link.

On what Windows version does it happen? Did you do a clean or upgrade installation?

I checked on Win 10 1809 (17763.1397) x64 but it respond quickly, it seems more quickly than before. I haven’t checked it on Win 10 2004 x64 but I don’t remember noticing it there. I did an upgrade installation on both systems.

When you use the online installer you need to make changes to the HOSTS file as described in the topic start. Then the installer will download from the beta server. Once there is a final release you can remove the entries in the HOSTS file to use the regular download server again.

To add to futuretech’s explanation. Having a smaller local AV database will not reduce security because the cloud lookup will provide a detection when the local database does not have a signature. And of course we trust in proactive approach first and foremost rather than detection. 8)

Updated internally from 7036 to 7062 version without issues, Win 10 x64 2004, totally NOT fresh OS (Win 7 for about 7 years, then update in May this year to Win 10 1909). I’ll give a spin this version of CIS for a while.

“When you use the online installer you need to make changes to the HOSTS file as described in the topic start. Then the installer will download from the beta server. Once there is a final release you can remove the entries in the HOSTS file to use the regular download server again.”

It does not work!!! :-\

Would this be a good thing? Would it be an improvement?
I believe that COMODO now mainly focuses on the containment of any file, even those declared malware by almost all the other manufacturers …
I hope it’s a modifiable option, if not, one more reason not to come back with COMODO … I’m sorry. :embarassed: :-\ :-TD

It’s an option . . . use it or not

when have incorporated or added “analisis script” in firewall? :-\

Old malware cannot harm one’s computer anymore unless it is e.g Ransomware, Screenlockers, etc.
If a malware tries to harvest your personal info e.g credit card infos and then transmit it to a server, the server needs to be online to receive the stolen data. This is most likely not the case with old malware, most C&C servers are shut down once the criminals think they harvested enough money.

Set Containment restriction level to Restricted or Block Unknowns, use Proactive Security, Cruelsister settings, etc. and Malware cannot harm your computer be it old malware or new malware.

As already said, using the Light AV database is a option available within CIS settings so you can remain using the full database if desired. Plus there is also Cloud Lookup for detection of old samples as well.

After installation from scratch, databases are downloaded very slowly.
Diagnostics throws an error

It will make CIS lighter on resources.

I believe that COMODO now mainly focuses on the containment of any file, even those declared malware by almost all the other manufacturers ...
Comodo has always focused on proactive security and that's where its true strength.

Detection is just an additional layer for usability as Melih would say provoking the minds of people.

I hope it's a modifiable option, if not, one more reason not to come back with COMODO ... I'm sorry. :embarassed: :-\ :-TD
You can chose to use the reduced or full database. You are forgetting that Comodo's true strength is that it protects without having to rely on detection. 8)

To but quote myself in a post you must have overlooked: