COMODO Internet Security 6.3.300670.2970 Released!

I understand That Admedia is the CEO’s company, and he is utilizing this to help fund projects… To me, this is the ultimate in “Irony”…
Most of us came to comodo, for security/privacy… Privacy has dwindled away over the net these last few years, and why, may some ask… Well “Ad’s” of course… Almost all privacy issues stem from corporations/companies trying to make a buck off our info. Google along makes Billions every year from just this… So when i read, we need to support “clean ad’s” to help sites maintain and stay open, i tend to chuckle, seems like a vicious circle, the sites need ads to stay open, then they harvest our information, which irritates us, so we use extensions to gain privacy back. Now the company we have chosen for security/privacy, wants us to basically give up that part of privacy, to help them make money to support the products we use to have privacy lol… Someone stop me, im on a roll…

Want to see something crazy, if you dont have firefox, downlaod it, the install “Lightbeam” by Mozilla … and watch all the ad companies tracking every site you visit… go to lets say, your favorite top ten site, and watch as the cluster of tracking ties you to every move you make… then ask me again, why i do not like ad companies, and what they do to make money off all of us…

As an example of what has happened is my dad’s computer, CIS auto updated and made changes without his consent or knowledge, so this is not a simple case of people not reading screens or not correctly un-ticking items they don’t want, this is a case where the updater/installer has made the choice for them without them (the person) being aware that there computer is being changed, and has been changed until they notice something is different or wrong, so this is much more then some simple PUP that someone accidentally installed, this is Comodo taking it on themselves to make changes to someones computer without there knowledge and consent, much more serious situation and breaks what Comodo and Melih supposedly stand for! :frowning:

Creating >> TRUST << online …where is the trust now Melih ? ? ?

I have just discovered an issue with PrivDog. But of course I will post it in the correct forum. :slight_smile:
PS. Thank You Illumination for giving me a further insight on this matter.

I will say it: stop… How do you think Adtrust Media breaches privacy? What makes you believe it is selling information?

I did not anywhere in my posts, accuse them of “selling information”…

Ad’s are ads, they track people, show me one that does not invade privacy… The extension allows these ads on your pages, which in turns allows tracking… I did not come here to bash the extension, but when asked why it was a big deal that the installer “seemed” to be forcing this on me, why i would not want it, i answered…

You were implicating and in this quote you are actually stating it.

To get to the heart of your statement I bolded the relevant parts in the above and below quotes:

So let me get this straight, your telling me, even though it has been stated this extension and company “sanitize ad’s” to make sure there malware free, and even keep them from tracking your movements online??? Am i getting this straight, you could put it in writting this is the case? Where do all these ad’s come from anyway, does admedia “own” them all, were they created by them?

I wonder these things, because when im on the net, say “facebook” and all those ads down the side “you would not see with adblock” are there with Privdog, these ads are not tracking me?

Again i state, no where did i say admedia was selling info, i stated the ads were a privacy breach because of tracking, i stated there are many companies making money from all of this… Now, when you are done twisting my words, and decide to look at this from a perspective that does not involve “personalization” but fact, leave me a message…

If you see ads, not served by Adtrust Media, not being blocked by Privdog they can be submitted in Submit sites here showing advertising you believe should be blocked.

Again i state, no where did i say admedia was selling info, i stated the ads were a privacy breach because of tracking, i stated there are many companies making money from all of this.. Now, when you are done twisting my words, and decide to look at this from a perspective that does not involve "personalization" but fact, leave me a message..
I understand your opinion as that you believe that also Adtrust Media is tracking because it is serving ads. In your view as I understand it ads and tracking are a Siamese twin. That's the position I am replying from.

From the small testing i did of this tool, i would be sending request more then surfing… Would these request indeed be honored, just because i believe those ad’s should not be there, would it benefit the company to remove them?

Do me one favor if you will, install either “collusion” for CD or “lightbeam” for firefox, and run privdog, tell me what you see…

I understand your opinion as that you believe that also Adtrust Media is tracking because it is serving ads. In your view as I understand it ads and tracking are a Siamese twin. That's the position I am replying from.

see again, my favor…

If the ads reported are not from Adtrust Media I would say your request would be granted. Please give it a try; the proof of the pudding is in the eating, not in endlessly theorising if the pudding would actually exist or not.

Do me one favor if you will, install either "collusion" for CD or "lightbeam" for firefox, and run privdog, tell me what you see...

see again, my favor…

Please provide us with your findings so we can see what you are talking about.

It would be much easier for you to try this experiment yourself.
Secondly i would like to thank you, for the long evening of banter, that actually took completely away from the initial problem to begin with, which you have not once addressed, which is the way the installer acted upon this update.
Third, im am done with this part, in this thread, as we have completely hijacked this thread with the endless banter…

I do encourage anyone reading this, to try what i suggested, and make up your own minds…

Have a good evening… Im out!

Sorry,but it does none of that without the user allowing it by not paying attention and blindly saying yes to everything. An old maxim applies here, “You can’t fix stupid”.

I really think it’s a stretch to say that all ads invade your privacy. Sure some do, but all of them? I don’t think so.

@Dch48: Theres three ways CIS can be updated, but I’m talking about the method where it auto-updates itself in the background, this is were CIS checks systematically for program updates and if there is an update it will download and apply, when computer is rebooted or shutdown and then booted up the update will take affect, because its done silently and in the background a user doesn’t have the choice on what gets installed with the update, this is where Comodo needs to take care and not have any PUP’s or change settings on the computer other then ones that are to do with CIS itself, maybe now you understand ?

Okay, I’ll admit that I wouldn’t know how that works since I never let anything auto-update, including Windows itself.

Is that an option or something that occurs randomly? I can’t find any such option in the CIS settings for updating, all I can find is to download automatically but that doesn’t install automatically to my knowledge. ???

In my Privdog settings I can choose to block all ads. Those who feel strongly about this can choose that and still get all the benefits of blocking all the trackers.

Privdog is not there to spy on you but to give you extra security. If you allow the Adtrust ads you are giving something back to Comodo in return for CIS.

You know more and more I encounter people who say things like that after I’ve addressed every point they made. It’s a matter of disagreement, not misunderstanding. I still don’t know why you put quotes around your all caps words.

This PrivDog installer embedded in the CIS updater is new to this version, but what about the Geekbuddy and Dragon installers? Those don’t even ask you; they just install. I wonder why this issue is so much worse than those. I guess feeling like you were forced to install something is worse than not knowing something installed that you didn’t want. That’s an odd standard.

You can choose choose to not install Dragon and Geekbuddy in the customized install however it is my opinion that the customized install button (it’s not really a button but more like text with a link you know. Edit: That’s how it looks in my memory I mean, haven’t installed a fresh copy of CIS in a while so I might be wrong…) is very easy to miss and new users are very likely to miss it unless they look for such a thing and expect to find it, it’s my opinion that it should be made easier to see during the installation. When I first started using CIS I looked for such a custom install button but couldn’t find it and it wasn’t until I read something about it on the forum I realized it existed. I don’t feel so happy with how Comodo seems to try and hide certain things. :-\

Edit: Also the PrivDog installer isn’t new to this version, well I guess this exact version of PrivDog might be new to this version of CIS but PrivDog has been bundled with older versions of CIS too, it’s the way that it is presented in this version that is the problem because it can easily confuse the user into thinking he or she has to install either PrivDog or change the homepage, I believe we either have to go back to the old layout or do as others have suggested and make it more obvious that “Cancel” doesn’t mean cancel the update but rather decline PrivDog and the yahoo homepage.

Any info on this?

Here still it says up to date.