COMODO Internet Security 6.3.300670.2970 Released!

You know more and more I encounter people who say things like that after I’ve addressed every point they made. It’s a matter of disagreement, not misunderstanding. I still don’t know why you put quotes around your all caps words.

This PrivDog installer embedded in the CIS updater is new to this version, but what about the Geekbuddy and Dragon installers? Those don’t even ask you; they just install. I wonder why this issue is so much worse than those. I guess feeling like you were forced to install something is worse than not knowing something installed that you didn’t want. That’s an odd standard.

You can choose choose to not install Dragon and Geekbuddy in the customized install however it is my opinion that the customized install button (it’s not really a button but more like text with a link you know. Edit: That’s how it looks in my memory I mean, haven’t installed a fresh copy of CIS in a while so I might be wrong…) is very easy to miss and new users are very likely to miss it unless they look for such a thing and expect to find it, it’s my opinion that it should be made easier to see during the installation. When I first started using CIS I looked for such a custom install button but couldn’t find it and it wasn’t until I read something about it on the forum I realized it existed. I don’t feel so happy with how Comodo seems to try and hide certain things. :-\

Edit: Also the PrivDog installer isn’t new to this version, well I guess this exact version of PrivDog might be new to this version of CIS but PrivDog has been bundled with older versions of CIS too, it’s the way that it is presented in this version that is the problem because it can easily confuse the user into thinking he or she has to install either PrivDog or change the homepage, I believe we either have to go back to the old layout or do as others have suggested and make it more obvious that “Cancel” doesn’t mean cancel the update but rather decline PrivDog and the yahoo homepage.

Any info on this?

Here still it says up to date.

(:CLP) +1

PrivDog blocks on all connections? Means even for PaleMoon?

At times, rarely, weird things happens with CIS, dont know why & how?

1. I too have experienced autoupgrade i.e autoinstall even though no autoinstall option is there.

2. At times when internet connection is not available, CIS GUI takes quite a long time to appear.

Today I installed VLC 2.1.1, got Unlimited Rights popup, I clicked “Run Unlimited” & it installed fine though cache gen.exe, one of VLC file was quarantined by CIS so after install I restored that file.

The weird thing happened was when I started VLC, it was autosandboxed, thats fine but when I clicked “Dont isolate again” on the autosandbox popup, it asked for password? I have password protection enabled but it shouldn’t ask for password in this case.

Dont know why? rarely but at times I have experienced weird things with CIS.

I think they’ve achieved true randomness with CIS. ;D (Joking of course)

I think once a clean software now slowly adding stuffs & becoming like others, irritating, annoying, huge in size, bloatware. etc…

No need of Comodo Dragon, GeekBuddy, Privdog, etc… in the installer. All these additional stuffs makes installer size very huge from 45-50 MB to above 200 MB.

I haven’t installed the latest CIS yet as I am getting up to date on checking with previous version.

But what I am reading here about install procedure…I think it looks intentional. It should be simple & clear like unchecking the options, next or proceed tab should be available & stuffs unchecked shouldn’t be there.

The thing that got me attracted to Comodo softwares was they were clean & without any craps, ads, etc…so they were different from other bloatwares, etc… but sadly now Comodo is going the same route adding additional stuffs, trying to add things making the installers confusing for majority of users, etc…

No info about quite a few softwares. For this reason I have stopped using few Comodo softwares due to the absence of no info/updates/fixes from a very long time. Now only with CD & CIS but sadly now things happening with CIS too.

OK ads and tracking are for different topic, will not discuss here.

What started this latest “exchange of opinions” is installation process.

Usually and preferably installation should go like (I skipped license, language and maybe something else but I think idea is clear):

1. start installation - default (express) installation - product installed.
  2. start installation - custom (advanced) installation - options to install (path, AV, Firewall, Geek buddy, CD, PrivDog) - extra settings (Yahoo, start page, PrivDog options) - product installed.

As it is now Comodo installation is: start installation - extra options (Yahoo, start page, cloud) + extra customization in text link (options to install (path, AV, Firewall, geek buddy, CD) - extra installation, new window (PrivDog) - PrivDog options? - product installed.

Wording in PrivDog installation at the moment is confusing with Cancel for Do not install this product and continue with rest of installation (also fixable is PrivDog is another option to install as GeekBuddy and CD are now).

Having said that fact is that also if installation would be perfectly setup there would be someone who would miss something and not understand something and complain, we are humans after all :wink:

Naren beat me to the point with his point. Installation is problem here.

The burden of proof is in your corner. It is not my job to do an experiment if you have not even published the results of yours.

Secondly i would like to thank you, for the long evening of banter, that actually took completely away from the initial problem to begin with, which you have not once addressed, which is the way the installer acted upon this update.
We all get carried away sometimes.

There is a reason i said it would be easier for you, as after the update incident, then the main data base update which hammered on my processor relentlessly until i killed all processes, i uninstalled ALL Comodo off of my machine… So for me to do this, and provide you with examples may be a little harder at this point… 88)

EDIT: I broke out my old laptop to do this just for you… :wink:

Privdog installed “Blocking ALL ad’s”

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s546/The_Wolfpath/Privdog_zps1c33d58a.png

Here is what it looks like in the background, notice how i have "block tracking sites off in collusion, so you can see the full “Non Benefit” of Privdog… This was after visiting 5 sites… Still feel you have privacy with this extension?

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s546/The_Wolfpath/Privdoginaction_zpsf76c857f.png

Logged in solely for the purpose of supporting your cause.!

Glad to see that still some people have the power to fight against this. I don’t have that power anymore so much and resorted to financially support organisations who fight for our privacy etc.

Have been a long time user of CIS because of its credability in places like matousec.com and because its free. Maybe it is not fair to expect a free product and no advertising etc.

Thus, allthough I very much appreciate the product is free, the installer is imho, definitely not the right way to go. If it is not misleading, it is the next thing to it, not in the least for less computer savvy users.

Another reason why it is imho inherently wrong stems from the fact that CIS is a type of product that is based on trust. Trust that is dimished by such installation procedures.

For fun I downloaded a few different extensions like Ghostery, PrivDog, ScriptSafe, DoNotTrackMe, AdBlockPlus etc and had them all on, Collusion showed the exact same thing as before i.e a lot of connections so this isn’t specific to PrivDog, rather I believe Collusion is misleading for testing privacy extensions.

Edit: Yes I reset the graph in between.

Comodo Internet Security Premium 6.3.301250.2972

http://downloads.comodo.com/cis/download/updates/release/inis_2001/release_notes.html

Thanks for info, great to see they are working ■■■■■■■ Win 8.1

My point is, in the first screen shot, You can clearly see where Privdog states, it will stop ad companies, tracking sites ect, from being able to record and analyze your data, which is clearly not the case.
For fun, try this on firefox with lightbeam and nocsript&adblock plus, bet you see a difference then… at least on Firefox, the combo i suggested greatly slows this down, you can see it here Mozilla Lightbeam Add-On Shows Risk of Third Party Sites

Also if you do it on your own you will see…

Dont get me wrong, the idea of Privdog sounded great, but it is not as effective as it states…

I should mention “lightbeam” is actually “collusion” rebranded for firefox…

EDIT: P.S. just for fun also, i added ghostery and Script defender only, nothing shows up in Collusion unless i allow the scripting for each through Script Defender… So i would say that Collusion works…

And how do we know that it doesn’t? How does Collusion really work? As you can see with different extensions for Chrome they detect and block the same things so it’s only logical Collusion also detects these things however Collusion isn’t made to see if other extensions are blocking these sites. Collusion may say that data has been shared with these third parties however I’d like to see some real proof of that like the gathering of the data sent.

I don’t have FireFox installed at the moment but I’ll look into it, if you have FireFox installed you could perhaps test the same thing with PrivDog to see if the same thing happens as with Chrome?

Personally I haven’t seen enough evidence that supports this claim, all I’ve seen so far is that Collusion (like the other extensions) detected that the sites tried to share data with the other sites.

They could still work in different ways for the different browsers.

Just tried it and indeed it works, seems weird that ScriptSafe wouldn’t do the same.

Edit: ScriptSafe does actually do the same if you block the whole site, but as soon as you allow the site itself Collusion will also report on different sites that are still blocked in ScriptSafe, perhaps Collusion doesn’t detect anything because Script Defender blocks Collusion from doing its thing when scripts are off?

Edit 2: With ScriptSafe blocking everything Collusion is going weird, first I went to NFL.com and it showed 4 connections or something like that, then refreshed and now showed none and kept going like that for a few times then showed 4 again…

Edit 3: Without knowing exactly how Collusion works I don’t really think this will go anywhere, and honestly I’m not interested enough to look that up, I’m confident enough of extensions like PrivDog, Disconnect, DoNotTrackMe, Ghostery, ScriptSafe etc.

Your choice, nice to have one isnt it? I mentioned Script Defender, as it is now the closest thing to Noscript you can find for Chromium browsers… Stop in over at Wilders and read up on their convo about it…

I just know, these two on firefox work hand in hand together, where as i see nothing from Privdog, but ads being hidden on “some” pages…

I think Collusion might be just showing the presence of those things on the page but not whether they have actually been successful or not. Are the ads showing? If they aren’t, I would be confident they have been blocked.

Is there a version for IE? If so, I’d like to test it against the tracking list I use.