COMODO Internet Security 6.0.264710.2708 Released!

But why have reading and writing, when all that is necessary is executing?

in the comodo firewall 6 settings is a problem

i cant drag & drop firewall rules up or down as i could in comodo firewall 5.x and before

i have some network zones, some are blocked and some are not, i would like to put all blocked zones on top, i dont talk about the Blocked-Zones tab, i talk about the tab where i configure the zones…
i label my zones as that…

Blocked (Spam) Blocked (Popup) Blocked (Malware) Homenetwork Public Network Blocked (services)

in comodo firewall 5 i was able to order the list, (sadly) not automatic by alphabet but at least manually by drag & droping the rules to where i thoght they belong to
now in comodo firewall 6 i cant move the zone setings in any way, not manualy, not by alphabet

the same thing happens in the ruleset window where i can predefinie some rulessets
in this setting window i can move the single rules with a uggly button up and down but not per drag & drop
the sets them self are ordered by alphabet or reverse, thats ok

same thing with global rules, no drag & drop but ugly button

and again no drag & drop in application rules

drag & drop should be a “must be” functionality!

this and the whole new design is not realy a positive change
people were used to the old design and the old design did offer more functionality and was easier to understand then the new design

inovative or new would be a function to import blocklists or hosts
people ask for that since years

blocklist import/export
better rules editor

and i ask also for functions as in “hostsman” and its hosts server

and what do we get?
a confusing userunfriendly new design with less functionality

it was always normal to install comodo firewall on my pc, since years… and since the version 6 super design i am again open for new suggestions, so please solve this nonsense design soon or try to make it functional
plese

You dont understand the enormous benefit of this choice:
Every day i EXECUTE a game. The same game. It is safe.
But only once in a long time new content is WRITTEN!

Why should the same game get scanned all day, when all i have to care of is a new written virus?
Why do i have only one choice with comodo: Exclude totally or scan? I am not protected against new writings. Or the same data gets scanned eternally.
And i even can not decide if its realtime exception or scanner exception.

The detailed attempt saves 99,9% resources! And keeps protection on a very high standard (like untouched) with defense+.

Defense+ manages the executing permission.

I am safe. Scanner does what i would do myself. I would not jump higher or more often than i have to!

You see?

Perhaps you were unaware that since it’s inception, Comodo’s AV has had a mode called Stateful. This will ensure that your game files will not be scanned every time they are executed. In previous versions, the stateful flag was reset when the AV database was updated, so it’s conceivable that if you only run the game a single time a day, then all of the files would be subject to a scan. But with CIS 6, it has a more permanent cache state, similar to Avast, whereby a file will only be rescanned if it has been modified.

This is, in effect, only scanning a file when something new is written. The file is actually only scanned when it is executed, but this scan will only happen if the content is new.

The first statefull mode of comodo wasnt like i expected (example firefox got scanned each time it was opened, 180mb ram even if off, etc). And in global, having an update check every 30 minutes renders statefull meaningless if an update defines its re-action.
(Actually i switched to clam av for a while, because my old antivirus went a bad way, and comodo av was a resource hook. Then i tried the current antivirus i am running. Because i noticed that you can disable all un-necessary features while installation! I kept just one :smiley: )

And in version 6 what does the cache cleaner do? Erasing and recreating?
The other antivirus with this usefull choice setting has a statefull thing too.
It companies defense+ as if it was written as a part of it.

Having this choice is awesome. Just saying.

Have not seen the effect of this “Permanent” cache in action yet in my 2 months of CIS6 experience.

It does not make much of a difference compared to CIS 5 in scans (realtime or full). Only very successive scans (I mean scans that take place immediately after one another) are quick. If we wait for one or two days and scan again, it takes the same amount of time again.

Here is the reply from COMODO Devs in this regard…

It seems clearly there is a big room for improvement in this area.

Besides, having an option to configure individual scan preferences would be great. (I really like the way ESET allows to configure it’s AV. You can really fine tune it in a very granular way.)

I miss that level of AV configuration in CAV.

Hello every body
Sorry if this question has already been answered or if it is not the right place.
Does this new version solve the "all trafic goes through “windows operating system” problem ?
https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/512-all-traffic-goes-through-windows-operating-system-t88285.0.html
Thanks in advance
Cheers
YANN

… and since there are opened and closed processes for the antivirus, we dont have an idea about how much cpu time gets wasted by the antivirus.
It could be like in the past… or even more…

I would not be surprised, to be honest.

Do you have a rule that allows outgoing without specifying a process?
That could cause your symptom.

I only have rules for applications in application rules. All fine here.
(Global rules is something else).

No particular rule (only for application)
When I have installed the previous versions, comodo found a new pseudo-process called “windows operating system” through which went all traffic. The only solution was to allow all traffic through this process , that is to nearly having no firewall.
Read all the comments in the thread indicated in my previous post. It will tell you more with people speaking a proper English, not like me :wink:
Thanks for your help

If you’re still seeing this problem, you should start a new thread in the help form with some specific details, as it’s most likely a configuration error.

Yes that’s right, i hope in near feature we will see some performance improvements on av side. Thank you all for your reply’s.

Right. The summary screen will return in a few updates. They will push 6 as an update at the end of this month for 5 users they are saying. Probably without the summary screen though.
I have patience and know it sure will be ironed out and cool after a few updates.
But of course everybody wants it NOW…
88)

Hi,

“We have not issued updates to the 5.x users yet. They will be updated in February.”

Anyway to block that update?

Want to do more testing before it gets pushed to all of my users.

Thanks,

Will

You can go into the settings and disable the check for program updates.

CIS will only check and let you know there is an update when you have the check for program updates enabled. Nothing is pushed.

A little glitch that I ironed out already, but just in case others can reproduce the same behaviour:

One day a week ago, a full virus scan suddenly began (not doing so was another setting that CIS does not seem to have carried over to the latest version) and took a whopping 12 hours for 4%. I ordered the software to cancel the scan, but CIS did not cancel and merely went into the background. Repeating the “cancel full virus scan” various times to no avail, I noticed the following:

CIS-related components in RAM:

NAME			CPU %		I/O in kB/sec	RAM in MB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wmiprvse.exe						  2.52 MB	(system component, but invoked by CIS)
cavwp.exe		92.19 %		729.13 kB/s	  3.30 MB
cavwp.exe						 43.68 MB
cavwp.exe						244.78 MB
cavwp.exe						 27.20 MB
cmdupd.exe           			177.47 kB/s      17.35 MB
wmiprvse.exe						  4.13 MB	(system component, but conjured by CIS)      
cmdagent.exe				  6.76 kB/s	 23.14 MB
CisTray.exe						  4.34 MB 
cis.exe							  7.55 MB
cis.exe							 42.40 MB
cis.exe							 31.56 MB
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total CIS 		92.19 %		913.36 kB/s	451.95 MB

Even rebooting did not help, the resource-hogging ‘cavwp.exe’ would always be back. It was necessary to provoke a failed launch of CIS during system startup (the one that provokes a ‘cmdagent could not load’) to be able to eliminate the rogue component in the process manager. Subsequently, it was possible to start CIS manually and from that moment on, with “Full Scan” disbled/unchecked, the problem has not occurred again.

Might just be another weird coincidence, but in case there is really a little bug affecting the “Cancel Scan” button, it cannot hurt to fix it. :wink:

Something else: sometimes programs seem to randomly get sandboxed after some time of running unaffected. First it happened with web browsers, later with WinRAR, although WinRAR had been used to pack/unpack files dozens of times before, both starting it from the list of programs and by double-clicking an archive in Windows Explorer. When sitting in front of the computer it is not a big deal, but when things like these happen while one is away, to components of more complex software suites, trouble-shooting it can take a long time, because one focuses on the affected software first, as it had been running fine for a while with CIS not finding anything wrong with it.

For this and other reasons, the return of an improved “Summary” page would be nice, as other people have suggested before. In an ideal case, the programs that CIS blocked/sandboxed would be listed there, together with a comprehensible explanation of the reason. For instance, “ABC in folder ….… has been sandboxed because it tried to connect to website http://… (IP 123.456.789.012). The rules for this software do not allow outgoing HTTP connections.” Yes, there are log files, but nobody has the time or nerve to read cryptic log files each time they come back from a meeting or lunch break.

As for the help: it makes no sense to have help for a security software online, because the first thing that usually does not work any more when something goes wrong is the Internet. Those among us who are used to the perks and pet peeves of the software might have the right idea and check CIS first, but many people whose browser or e-mail program suddenly does not work any more might have a bad day and lose a lot of time trying to figure out what is wrong with their browser. A software that blocks access to the web – sometimes in an erratic/erroneous manner – should not rely on the web to provide the necessary information for troubleshooting.

For those among us who come to this forum it may not be a big deal, but the average user will swear (and call their go-to guy) in desperation. :wink:

Just my humble two cents, no response required.

You can turn off the scheduled automatic scans but the option is now buried very deeply within the advanced settings. So deeply that you don’t even know that scheduled scanning is set up by default. This is one of the very few issues I have with v6.

same for cloud

Thats why i cant recommend to use anything by default. No matter how easy and silent it might appear.

Not a fan this version at all… is 5.12.256249.2599 still the newest 5.x? I can’t get mine to update any more…