COMODO Internet Security 6.0.264710.2708 Released!

Don’t think that everyone would like to spare sometime to do it… Or How many of those have actually used the version before Or Really bothered to use any advance features and monitored their pc on goings…

For ppl like Us we appreciate the product and given support… :love:
But one has to go from a College Student to Mark Zuckerberg and not the other way around…
v5 to v6 is the other way around in some matters…

I am kinda the same, I have used this security suite for a while, even had the paid version in 2011.

I like the color scheme of V6, and most the looks of it, however I would really like the old first ,main page info back as it was on V5xx. that gave me a lot of up front info I didn’t need to hunt for.

The rest is OK

Yes the new interface is nice and fancy, love it :). The info will return in few updates. So V6 will go in the right direction even for us advanced users :slight_smile:

i don’t think that i will be able to continue to use the cis 6 because of virus data base. it is 120 mb now which is very much problematic for me and for all the slow internet connection users. i find problem to update the virus data base during the first time or manually download the data base. it minimum takes 6 hours to download manually. i reported to the comodo but they don’t bother actually. everyday data base is updating, earlier it was 118mb now after two days it is 120mb. it is very much frustrating to update cis6 during the first time. i can understand that daily updating is very much important. but the data base file is too much long. if this thing continues like this then i don’t think i will be able to use cis 6 in future. :-[

I will have to agree that the DB file is too big. I’m on a 30meg connection and if I don’t turn on my older XP machine for a week or more, it still takes forever to bring the AV db up to date. In fact it doesn’t even do it automatically at boot, it just says it’s out of date and I have to click on the fix button to even start the updating process which then takes about 3 minutes to complete. I can’t see why we need all those millions of signatures. Some of them certainly have to be obsolete and an update should not have to download more than half a megabyte of data no matter how far it’s out of date.

Having said that, I think Comodo also needs to implement streaming updates that happen in between the regularly scheduled ones if significant new signatures are produced.

Comodo has a cloud antivirus isn’t that enough? As long as your connected to the internet the virus database can be updated whenever you want if it’s been a long time.

Yes but as said before, the download required is too big and takes too long to download, apply, and activate.

I don’t know if there will ever be a change to this as it has been a part of CIS for a long time. The same can be said when installing CIS, you start at database number 0 and have to update to the current database version, and that is a little over 100 mb.

What I would do is copy over the database from my pc and import it to the outdated computer.

data base file is too long to update cis for the first time or download the data base manually. :-\

trying to install updated CIS
its telling me uninstall the old version but it not in add/remove programs

Help in simple computer terms pls

Hi hedgehog6865
Try the advice given here.
Thanks.
Edit: Fixed incorrect link.

While not solving the problem of the large signature files per se …

… would it be possible to implement at least an optional reminder in the configuration settings to schedule an announcement that an update will be due soon? For instance, there could be three fields where users can choose how far in advance they would like to be notified that the anti-virus will soon update:
“Please advise me that COMODO will update [1 hour], [30 min] and [10 min] before beginning the update.” In an ideal case, there should also be a possibility to “postpone the signature update […] hours and […] minutes” when the notification pops up.

People who do not like/want the notifications simply choose “never” as the alert period, but the idea behind this is the following: since the signature files are so large and downloading/installing them takes an eternity when not living in a first world country with top notch Internet speeds (or where one pays for bandwidth instead of a fixed monthly fee), this would allow to plan certain activities around the updates. For example, many times the update process will break ongoing downloads from sensible file hosting services with short timeouts or the like, meaning that one might have to wait for another hour before being allowed to try again (if the daily bandwidth has not been exceeded with the broken download).

Signature updates are indispensable, but knowing when they come, one could wait before initiating tasks that should not be affected by them until the update routine is finished.

Oh, while we are at it: show an ongoing signature download and installation with a descriptive animated icon plus balloon message in the taskbar, please, like ESET and others do it. When the machine suddenly becomes irresponsive, one would know that it’s the fr… CAV update again, instead of assuming a frozen application or the like. :wink:

I think a choice should be given as to whether virus definitions are downloade or not.These defintions are for offline users mainly.
The large majority of users are online and the database is in the cloud so a large db update file download seems redundant in my opinion. ;D ;D

However the cloud may be down sometimes and then it’s good with a local database.

Well depending on how long the cloud would be down(not long if at all with comodo. ;D)…that wouldnt help you because then your definitions are out of date and if you browse to a zero day malware then its not detected… :o
However seeing as we are comodo users this would not be a problem as we have the hips etc.
Then again if the cloud were down we would not have online access to the whitelist. 8)

Fairly certain the cloud was down some time a few days or weeks ago (my perception of time passed is not calibrated properly) or perhaps it was just the upload service?

Either way, if the cloud would be down and you didn’t have any local database then no malware would get detected meanwhile if you had a local database too, many older malwares would be detected. So saying that it wouldn’t help at all isn’t correct however that it wouldn’t help against zero day malware is most likely correct.
And not everyone is using HIPS with the latest version of CIS (Since apparently it’s redundant 88)), rather they just use the BB. I do however use HIPS in safe mode and BB set to “Blocked”** so unless the malware is whitelisted I’d have to allow it.

**I wish BB set to “Blocked” would generate an alert whenever something was blocked, did make a wish before but I see it wasn’t something the devs agree on as they haven’t added it :cry:

Your config is the same as mine.purely for comfort i have the hips on even though it is suggested not to,but thats just me. ;D
I am now receiving firewall alerts in the kiosk but have yet to see an av alert.Maybe it truly is that virtual that nothing gets in. ;D

In my opinion fully virtualized should have built in AV, HIPS and FW and I know HIPS is enabled but I mean actually giving alerts, now I have no idea what the hell it is doing. FW is probably enabled too but I’ve never gotten an alert I think? =S I’ve never tried AV though since I don’t download that kind of stuff onto my PC. (I am however looking into getting a laptop purely for testing things like this)

Its the new mantra of security:

Obscurity through Obscurity.

Hello, is it possible to CIS6 enable / disable to show the notification on updating the application databases (not to be confused with notifications for software!), As it was in version 5.12? …If not, then the request to developers to bring this feature! :wink: Thank you. :slight_smile: