COMODO Internet Security 5.8.213334.2131 Released!

Everything is fine here…
Dropbox.exe runs with Sandbox Level=Disabled ; Verdict=Trusted.

Dropbox is in TVL so each new version should be automatically considered as safe.

Nope, as I said this happened after regular restart. It tends to happen after hard reset. CIS database must very picky.

Looks like certificate verification is failing on your system, can you verify your firewall policy and double check if you blocked essential access for Microsoft and CIS components?

Please download this tool and run it in a command-box to verify the dropbox.exe and post the results here;
http://live.sysinternals.com/sigcheck.exe

sigcheck -r dropbox.exe

Again, I didn’t change anything, this happened after regular restart. I didn’t even think about CIS in the first place!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Actually despite my best efforts to have Comodo firewall run with Avast 6 free, its just not working. I cant get my pc started now with both on it, either requires a system restore or an uninstall/reinstall of Avast 6 without restarting it.

I did try Comodo internet security (free), however I find the antivirus a little crude to put it bluntly, for one thing its hard to know what is going on with the av while at least there is a better interface with avast.

I’ll be looking for a new firewall today if I cant find a decent av which will run with Comodo.

The latest stable version of Dropbox is 1.2.48.
Your version is still experimental…

PrivateFirewall is the next best thing. :-TU
I have tested it and for me it’s performing better than Online Armor.

Thanks, I’m going to give this a try today then as this war between Comodo firewall & avast free on my pc is doing my head in!

Just make sure you set it like this for better security…

1. turn off Training mode
  2. turn on “Manual Control” and check both options (Display alerts… and Disable Auto-Response) under Basic Settings
  3. turn on “Always display alerts for new outgoing connections” under Basic Settings
  4. turn on “Enable Process Detection” under Advanced Settings
  5. you can turn off Email and System Anomaly Detection under Advanced Settings if you want to…
  6. turn on “Disable startup splash screen” under Basic Settings if you want to…
  7. raise “Process monitor” setting from Medium to High in main GUI

why not put CIS (it will prevent infection) and then use Avast on demand?

(the key is “prevention” not “detection” for protecting your computer).

I tried the cis suite (not just the firewall) however I didnt feel like I had as much control over the antivirus part as with Avast. I am currently reading some ways people claim can allow avast & comodo to work together, and if this doesnt work I’m dumping Comodo. Really I’d have thought a firewall could have worked with an antivirus without all this fiddling about.

What I am reading atm :

I installed avast! free first. Then – after it was all setup and running (read below) – I first disabled all the shields permanently. Then I turned off the avast! self defence in the settings. This would then let me end the avastui.exe process via task manager. I also went to “Services” and stopped the avastsvc.exe service.

Once this was done I installed Comodo Firewall as Firewall Only then rebooted when asked.

On reboot – I then setup Comodo Firewall (described below).

Only after Comodo Firewall was setup did I re-enable the avast! shields and turn avast! self defence back on.

I have avast! on pretty much default settings (have not changed heuristics at all) except that I have:

• Selected the “Load avast! services only after loading other system services”
  • Gone through the shields and selected the option to scan for potentially unwanted programs (PUP)
  • Gone through the actions for the shields and made it for viruses: repair, move to chest, delete ; for PUP & Suspicious: ask, repair, move to chest
  • Added comodo to exclusions under settings and file system shield
  • Gone through the shields and selected the “All Packers” option

For Comodo Firewall installed as Firewall Only:

• Firewall Settings > General Settings: Set to Custom Policy and selected the options to “create rules for safe applications” and “enable IPv6 filtering”
  • Firewall Settings > Alert Settings: Unticked the “this computer is an internet connection gateway” option
  • Firewall Settings > Advanced: Selected “Protect ARP Cache”, “Block Gratuitous ARP Frames”, “Block Fragmented IP datagrams” and “Do protocol analysis”
  • Ensured that, under the Network Security Policy > Application Rules, that avastsvc.exe, avastui.exe and avast.setup are “Trusted Applications”.
  • Opened, ran “check for updates” etc, and closed every program on my machine in order to create the rules.
  • When prompted – added my network to the “Network Zone” and selected the option to allow other machines within the network to communicate with my machine.

Comodo works fine with avast. Just disable the sandbox of avast (even if the comodo one isnt activated), and dont use the behaviour blocker of avast together with defense+.
I had to experiment a bit, until i found the bad spot which caused freezings. The sandbox.

If you use just the data system protection part (the normal antivirus) of avast together with comodo firewall and defense+, your portection will have a little footprint in ram and cpu useage compared to other antivirus programs.

But the incompatibillities become more and more usual among all the products. This kind of “technical marketing” is more worse than saying “We are protecting 100%”.
If we asked in the past, what will the companies do in front of comodos speaking, today we know the answer. The user must make the choice for a full product, he can often not pick the best things anymore.

We have to decide whose 100% we want to believe.

The danger wasnt reduced by claiming “antivirus only companies are bad”, but it reduced the choices.

Ok, going to try this and see what happens, have disabled the sandbox in Avast, and turned off the behaviour shield, although wouldn’t making comodo a trusted process (cfp.exe & cmdagent.exe) in the Avast behaviour shield also work ?

Who’s claim was this?

In any event, AV-only companies are a rarer breed now (unless you hadn’t noticed). And those incompatibilities you mention are merely symptoms of why there are less AV-only companies (because they now offer more than AV protection) rather than a lack of any specific choice and/or risk (danger).

“Is the AntiVirus biggest fraud in the security world?”
This topic is one of the examples i had in mind.

Yes, this is what i was speaking about, you dont need to explain :wink: .
When someone says, “something else is bad”, why give him the abillity to “co-use” it?
The choice of people to use comodo is rather not made by evaluating its antivirus. Comodo is an additional protection beyond antivirus, and its a firewall.
If you have a good antivirus, you just need to handle a few percent of possibillities of malware with a HIPS. If you dont have an antivirus, or having an antivirus that you need to disable to an on demand antivirus because of performance problems, you have to handle 100% of the possibillities with your HIPS.

You will end up with this silently persisting thought: Have i done a mistake in the times while answering the HIPS questions? Was this svchost.exe, that wanted to send to the internet, the real svchost.exe?
Even if an antivirus would come to late with its definition update, at least you dont have to worry until you make all HIPS rules new; and you dont make unnecessary (known) mistakes in front of real malware.

For the users the antivirus is part of the decision. I wish comodo to have an antivirus that people would choose among others. Because, if everything is incompatible, they would choose comodo too, even if their main concern is the antivirus.

Thank you, Captain Obvious, that is very helpful.

so nothing too hard to consider, just give comodo cis the kind of interface avast free has, allowing more control and more visibility over the antivirus part of whats going on, and people will choose it. I know I would.

Tone it down please, a response like this is unwarranted and possibly somewhat ambiguous to some members. It could also easily be seen as not respecting other members. 88)

Comodo firewall & avast free now orking fine after your advice,thanks for your help. Perhaps someone can pin your advice to a threat for those having probs with avast/comodo.

You welcome! But I have to correct you-I’m only 1st lieutenant in Croatian reserve army.