Comodo Backup Wishlist rev 1

I apologize if this is already in this thread, but myself and a couple other ppl (eg doomscythe) we would like to have a dvd/cd bootable restore disc. Although I have downloaded and installed this product on 1 machine I have yet to test it’s full capabilities.

I’m really impressed with the functionality, documentation, and ease of use! Especially for a free product. Just starting to read through the forums now.

Two things in my wish list:

1. Add .cmd to the Executable Files spec: (.exe;.com;.bat;*.cmd) in the select file window of External Task Options. There was no option to view all file types either. I changed the extension to .bat for now.
    Before I start my backup, I export the backup configs registry settings so that my Comodo configs get backed up as well.
    CODE:
    @echo off
    reg export “HKCU\Software\Comodo\Comodo BackUp\Backup” “%~dp0ComodoBackUpConfig.reg”

2. I rar’d just the Backup program files for personal use (to slim down the install and memory usage) and silently run a .reg file for the settings I like in HKCU\Software\Comodo\Comodo BackUp\Options. I tried to remove the yy mm dd text from the Macro Options using my reg file in a new installation, but when the application starts up for the first time, it overwrites my reg settings and puts back the yy mm dd text, and I have to re-run my reg file.
    It would be nice for me if the application didn’t overwrite existing reg settings on first run.

I stopped searching for a backup utility when I tried this one. It does exactly what I want.

Nice Work. Thanks!

Edit: Testing version 1.0.1.10 now and item 2 was resolved by writing more than just those few registry values. I switched from rar’ing to inno setup installer without lauchpad too (it’s a hobby). New version has backup in HKCU\Software\ComodoGroup\Comodo BackUp\Backup

Here’s an enhancement request for the Backup module: enable SFTP or file encryption when choosing “FTP Server” as destination.

Hi!

Comodo Backup is a security related product, but what I would like to suggest could bring it to the very top of Comodo and other security products. An ability to ‘‘clone’’ a copy of a Windows system. If the protection is on, the system is running on the “cloned” partition and all of the changes made to the system partition are lost after reboot… Any new spyware and/or viruses with it. A kind of a system sandbox, fooling the malware to infect it instead of a real system and thus the real system beeing safe and sound when the protection is on… If the protection is off, you can install new software or remove anything as normal. All of the changes are saved. In the ‘‘on mode’’ CAVS or any other antivirus or antispyware aplication vould probably be a bit less needed, but CPF always. Then again, the CAWS would still be much needed at least in normal mode for protecting the real system partition…

Also the ability to create a system partition backup file that could enable you to restore the system in minutes in case of severe data damages or hardware failure, would even double the system protection.

The bad news is that a program with this two abilitys allready exists and is O.K. at it too. But it is not free as they would want you to believe. It is called the Returnil Virtual System Home, and If you download the install (http://www.download.com/Returnil-Virtual-System-2006/3000-8022_4-10575701.html?tag=lst-0-8) and read the license agreement (first doubleclick on the install and click next), you see in ‘‘paragraf 6’’ that by installing the program you also allow them collection of wieving information. In other words… Well I would consider calling it spyware, how about you?

But forget the program. The idea is awsome…

P.s.: I would also like to se the ability, that CB could let me manualy browse and pick file(s). If I have two *.doc files on my desktop and want to regulary backup just one of them and definetly not anything else… Even if this is possible and I just don’t know how, I bet it is harder than just ‘‘browsing and picking’’ stand alone files in their directorys. Right?

Also file and folder encryption and locking ability (with pasword protection and such) would even enhance the value of this allready priceless product.

Ability to Mirror/clone system partitions … bootable CD/DVD , think that is the most important thing for Comodo Backup

I would like for the Backup solution to be able to set up a bootable usb disk for recovery, thus a “one-button-disaster-recovery” á-Là IBM’s Rescue and Recovery.

If the backup software came closer to being standalone like that, I might replace the RnR application with Comodo Backup. :slight_smile:

//Svein

add Backup of Backup Jobs, to help the user to carry his backup jobs to another computer system.

Hmm, I like the following out of what I’ve seen:

The bootable USB recovery disk (I presume you mean a flash drive, Svein?).

The cloned/mirrored/imaged/ghosted whatever you want to call it, full functional copy. I used to use a product that, alas, was bought out by the major conglomerate Sy***tec and ruined. It would create an “image” copy on an invisible partition, along with a boot disk for full system restoration in the event of a major catastrophe. Once I upgraded my system, it was no longer compatible, and alas, no other version was available either, due to said conglomerate purchase and subsequent destruction by a “ghost.” :‘( :’( :cry: Such sadness. But, I digress…

My $0.02 worth.

Nah, the usb flash drive doesn’t quite cut it for me spacewise as a boot device: For backups I use a LaCie 250GB external usb hdd (which is made bootable by Thinkvantage RnR), wich is large enough to take daily snapshots of my laptop drive (60GB, to be replaced by a 160GB pretty soon).

Problem is that most of these neat tools won’t work with Vista whenever that comes around. The main reason I stopped using Vista RC1, is that the biometric signin software is removed (i.e. I can no longer use the “swipe finger” method for logging in).

Comodo bakcup works in Vista (I’ve tried) as long as you set it up correctly. This is why I want it to be a standalone product so hard. (I’ve already nagged both Lenovo and uPek about the lack om biometric signin software for Vista, they’re working on it)

Anyways.

//Svein

Just reading back through the posts, I would somewhat have to agree. There are many backup programs, and as I do, I simply back my data up by burning it to CD\DVD as data, has worked for me for years. Now with that point, it seems many want more, like partition backing, usb capable, complete restore, hard drive cloning. These are hard to find as a free product and would be excellent to see from Comodo. But on the other hand, I also understand the amount of work it would take to do such a thing and isn’t as simple as 1-2-3. So perhaps down the road somewhere, this may come into play. I won’t pay for Ghost, etc…While having excellent cloning ability, I think being one of the best out there, we get taken advantage of with the price. I’ll do reinstalls instead, until Comodo creates their hard drive clone tool anyway. :wink: :wink: I keep hearing Melih say “Everything starts with a dream” .

Cheers,

Paul

Ahem…

Creating a restore-solution that can run from a PE-environment, aka “MiniNT”, wouldn’t be that much work. This would make the solution “standalone” enough to perform a systemwide backup, and use incremental backups from that point an on. For this to work, RELIABLY, an indexfile would have to be stored on the usb device, prolly in the form ,,,,. The reason for storing both MD5 and SHA256 is that both hashing algorithms CAN be poisoned, but not at the same time, while still having the correct length.

For security, each separate backup can be symmetrically encrypted using a 2048bit key, then store the random generated key in a public/private encrypted file at the root of the archive. The keys themselves can be passphrase-locked and stored as ascii-armored at the root of the backup file system.

The reason for using symmetric encryption for the bulk storage, is that symmetric encryption is a LOT cheaper cpu-wise, infact symmetric encryption can be so fast with the desktop/mobile cpu’s commonly available today, that the bottleneck will still be the USB2 interface for the disk. Public/Private encryption will of course be more secure (theorethically), but aslong as the symmetric keys are created randomly and stored in a public/private encrypted archive this should be secure enough (trust me: You do NOT want your backup to be unencrypted any more than you want to share your entire disks “read only” for the world to read. An unencrypted backup going AWOL is a nightmare)

As for the PE (Preinstalled environment), there are several places to “start”. One of them is Bart’s Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD, another source would be Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment. The last one is what IBM/Lenovo has used for their “Rescue and Recovery” backup solution.

This is lightyears ahead of having to reinstall windows, then having to install the backupsoftware anew, and then being able to restore from backup. Any backup solution that wants to be considered serious should have a “one-button-disaster-recovery” setup, otherwise customers WILL look elsewhere, or even worse: Consider the company behind the backup software negligent towards customer security (Which Comodo IS NOT).

Well, anyways… Rant over. :slight_smile:

//Svein

Support for XP’s Shadow Volume Copy service. There is no other way, that I’m aware of, to backup open and locked files.

Hi Everybody,

When selecting a ZIP file as the compressed backup destination, it would be very nice if you could specify an automatic filename based on the date, such as yyyymmdd.ZIP.

hlb

You can. “Add macro” is your friend.

I wish to move up/down source folder names on “Source” tab.

You can take a look at Acronis True Image, its t3h b357 1337 50f7//4r3 3/3r //\4d3!!!

Probably by adding encryption or password to the backup files would be great…

Great product and does what I want it to do but a couple of things I’d like to have (unless I’m missing them in the current options):

have it automatically run minimized in the task tray on open and

a run on computer shutdown option (rather than the Shutdown Comodo Backup option which works if you ignore the Windows End Now dialog but also because I log in and out as various users quite frequently and have to manually End the program each time)

cheers

Hey all,

I currently use Acronis True Image 9 but I wonder about the feature set of Comodo’s back up. I have been searching the forums but can’t discern clearly the following:

1. Does it image the drive or use some other form of back up?

2. Can I can back up to an external USB hard drive?

In genernal, what would I miss going from Acronis to Comodo back up or would I miss anything?

Thanks,
Max

Hey Max,

Comodo backup isn’t an imaging app like True Image, Ghostor Paragon Drive Backup. It is merely a data backup app. It uses optional ZIP compatible compression and can backup to any drive or UNC available to the system.

Why not add imaging capability to the Backup wishlist?

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile: