Comodo Backup Wishlist rev 1

How about a pet peeve of mine? Windows updates. Or other’s for that matter. When you typically download updates, they sit in a temp directory, install from there, and you may uninstall the updates but rarely are the exe files found. So, unless you actually go to Windows or wherever, and download each update manually, you have to then try to get each one, save it and what a pain. For some this isn’t a big deal but for slower connection users it is. So what I am in fact getting at would be a way to save these files as exe and back them up so if you need to reinstall , you don’t have to download all over again. Would that be possible to do? The backup would intercept updates somehow and save them? Just an idea.

Paul

Heck Paul, that is a brilliant idea. I really love it. I have been at my wits end to mantain everytime I reformat my computer. I have to redownload all of the updates all over again. I would love to see this function integrated into Comodo BackUp.

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

Lol, thanks for the vote of confidence. I wish I had the time and knowledge to build this stuff, I think that would make it easier for Comodo for sure. I am limited to some basic C and a bit advanced in HTML is all. I am learning however and should be taking my C+ class this year. Looking forwad to it.

Paul

Wow, I am kind of surprised that you will be taking some C++ classes. The middle-aged people (35+) whom I meet are usually reluctant to take any classes. I guess learning is a life long thing, eh? (It should be a life long thing :slight_smile: )

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

I currently have one wish for Comodo backup, which is the opposite of this:
Include empty (sub)folders in the backup.
In the version I’m using (v1.0.0.1), empty folders are not included in backups.
This can be a problem when using applications that expect some folders exist.

Um, hmmm uh… gee thanks alot! lolll. I’m 35 , not dead! lol. Actually, you are never too old to go to college. I am always willing to learn. The only time you stop learning is when you are DEAD or THINK you know everything. I always think about that saying, perhaps makes me feel younger, I don’t know.
Anything under , DEAD is younger, lolll. (:NRD)

Paul

Golly!.. Middle aged? That’ll take a bit to digest. You know how sensitive us olde folks get without our pepto. I guess if I die at 88, then this is middle age .

Haha, I think the ‘middle age’ word is pretty hard to define. Some would say (40 - 55), some 40 - 65, but I think I like it better to be 35-55. Hehe.

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

Sorry to interrupt you guys, but otherwise my remark gets lost in all those philosophical posts (:LGH)

So: bump (:WIN)

Lol, you know , I used to like you doom, now…uh what was I saying? Huh, Must be be that old age thing…<drool , drool, > (:TNG) loll. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Take care,

plau errrr. … palu…

Hahah… I was just rambling. :wink:

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

Ahum…

Hi Santo,

Sorry for all of the ‘nonsense’ that me and Paul was on just now.

Erm, you see, this forum is a place for we users to contribute ideas on how to improve Comodo products. Paul, me and you are all end-users who participate in this forum. We are in no way admins or a part of Comodo (although we try to be part of them :wink: ). I believe your ideas is being read by the Comodo admins out there who scan this forum regularly. Therefore, worry not, your idea are looked into.

If I somehow misunderstand what you are trying to convey, please let me know. Or if you don’t really understand what I am trying to say, please let me know too. Thank you.

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

Very well put Doom. Hi Santo, As “Doom” (so I don’t always have to spell the whole thing) said, we are not undermining you and please don’t take it as such. We have currently taken this to the Melih age polls. If you wish to vote there, check it out under general discussion. You are welcome to vote in our Meatball Moderator poll we will be setting up as well. We have to discuss a title\phrase for the MeatBall Moderator voting. Of course we may have to take a poll on the title :wink: Sorry to have made you feel like your post wasn’t important. But in truth , I forgot we weren’t in general discussion here and we will be taking it elsewhere as I stated.I looked up at the forum title and said, oops!

Take care Santo,

Paul

I think they got the message. :wink:

You’ve raised a VERY valid point here - I’ve been stung myself by this in the dim past and had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for raising it. I know that there is a revision of Comodo Backup underway, but I’m not privy to exactly what they’re doing - I suspect an GUI upgrade to tie it more closely in with CPF and CAVS. Hopefully they’re addressing the core issues raised in this wishlist.

I’ll see if I can get some more info and repost here when and if I get such info.

Please bear with them on this. They are a very customer-focussed company, but they do have a lot on their plate at the moment. It may come down to internal priorities and then it’s their call, regardless of the importance we place on our individual requests.

Hang in there.
Ewen :slight_smile:

Yes, and excuse dimwits like me who forget which thread i’m in! duh. (:NRD) <—I need these.

Take care

Paul

Well, it’s not that I don’t want you guys to talk nonsense or whatever (:TNG), but as you noticed in the meantime this is the wishlist thread, not the general discussion list (:WIN)

But hey, I got what I want: Some people actually read my post (:KWL)

Ewen, I’m sure it will be fixed if they know about the issue.
In fact, I’m a developer myself so I know how difficult it can be to define priorities.
I just wasn’t sure they did know about the issue

How about a function to limit the size of the compressed files.

So that there are:

Backup_1.zip 650mb
Backup_2.zip 650mb

You can then easily burn them onto CDR.

Hello everybody,
I too checked the compression option of COMODO with a folder size more than 2GB, When the folder size in the destination reached more than 2GB the job was terminated without any message or error. The comodo people would limit the compression of file or folder size by 2GB, They could provide the appropriate message either in the log area or in a messagebox.

With the CD/DVD as destination. The comodo people are not checking the size of the CD at the begining of the job instead they are checking at the Last. Due to this they are copying the contents of the folder in to an tempropary  folder and then when size of the folder is larger than the CD/DVD they are throwing an ERROR message.

In the options tab they have an option namely split files only in the removale media. As they are providing option to split a file in the removeable media, they have to provide a DLL or some other way to merger the splitted file.

Hello everybody,

The USER INTERFACE of comodo backup should changed and the memory usage should also be reduced to a greater extent, This is because when we install all the COMODO products the memory usage shoots up. So the comodo has to take care in the future releases that they reduce the memory usage of their products.

They should provide a seprate icon in the desktop for the COMODO backup. They provide a option to PAUSE the job during the execution of the same. If they provide this they would be the HERO of backup product in the WORLD.  (:LOV)