Comodo Backup Wishlist rev 1

Please do; I already voted for that myself, and it’d be good to have more… :slight_smile:

Your wish is my wish on the wishlist --Thanks again for the help guys. (:CLP)

I officially request that future versions of Comodos Back up allow users to create an image of a drive.

Did I do that right?

I am using Comodo Backup for the first time as I am writing this, and so far have 3 wishes.

My backups historically have been batch files that straight copied files to my DVD-RAM media (4.7Gb). My batch files evolved to use robocopy.exe (part of the WinXP/2K3 downloadable tools) as it had a “mirror” function that would remove files from the DVD-RAM (destination) if i had removed the files (from SOURCE) off my system since the last backup. It was crude, but slick.

Request #1
For those that do not use the “Compressed File” option, allow for a mode to synchronize/mirror the changes (deletions / missing files) from the source to the destination.

For my 1st kick at making a backup script/job, I started defining the multiple sources like I would need to do in one of my batch files… here is a snippet of 4 of the 19 tasks in one script…

robocopy "D:\[u]Games\[/u][b]Archives[/b]" "E:\Games\Archives"  /s /mir
robocopy "D:\[b]My Downloads[/b]" "E:\My Downloads" /s /mir
robocopy "D:\[u]ZDBENCH\[/u][b]EXPORTS[/b]" "E:\ZDBENCH\EXPORTS" /s /mir
robocopy "D:\[u]ZDBENCH\[/u][b]RESULTS[/b]" "E:\ZDBENCH\RESULTS" /s /mir

But there was only one destination tab for the job… so I selected my DVD-RAM drive letter and ran the script hoping that it would maintain the full path for my files… unfortunately it did not transpose the full recursed path, but rather the “last folder name” that I had selected to backup (bolded above; while what’s underlined is the part of the path that was missed/ignored).

Request #2
For those that do not use the “Compressed File” option, allow for a mode to recurse the full path between the source and destination (drive). (without this, I had to break my job in 19 sub-jobs so that each folder i selected could have a verbose path on the backup)

Another section of my script copies a few files over as opposed to folders. I did not see a way to select a specific file. But after some digging I found that I could select a folder, set the job to not take subfolders, and defined “include” files (or was it extentions?)…

My sub-jobs are still running, so I have no clue if this “shot-in-the-dark” attempt will actually work… but it is clear that there needs to be a way to target/select specific files more easily.

Request #3
Allow the user to easily add specific files to the job (I even tried to “drag-and-drop” a file into the job list… no go)

That’s all for now… I’ll see if anything else pops up by the end of the 19 sub-jobs.

DEEP BREATH

phoooooooo, ok, I know this has been mentioned many times or close. The more I see of back up software the more I truly think Comodo needs to expand on this. Paragon is easily restoring my whole partition to the same as state as when I created it, very nice. While this would be over-blown for typical backups, I think it’s in Comodo’s future to beging working this way. For backup freaks like me, probably Ewen < :wink: and others, I think this would be the proverbial cat’s a$$, only way I know how to put it. For most everything else, I simply run a backup onto DVD, or my other drive. I haven’t had a major loss of info with exception of a few emails. Not only would Comodo back up a partition, but then it’s own software settings as well. Comodo Anti -Data Loss , Comodo Anti-Loss, Comodo Anti-Crash, think of the possibilities! :BNC Ok the actual doing is MUCH harder than suggesting but what a wonderful world it would be to have this…Comodo partition manager, backup daily, image restore… (:CLP) :■■■■ :■■■■

Paul

Request #4
For those that do not use the “Compressed File” option, correct the destination path logic.
Observations:

• Source: C:\Laptop & Destination: E:\Laptop = E:\Laptop[u]Laptop[/u].
  • Source: C: & Destination: E: = E:*.*
  • Source: C:\MyFolder\MySubFolder & Destination: E:\MyFolder\MySubFolder = E:\MyFolder\MySubFolder*.*

So it seems it can handle root and multi-level paths, but not a single level path.

Request #5
Correct the logging logic so that the “copying file” entries are posted at the beginning of the file copy as opposed to the end of the file copy.

It seems my requests #2 & #4 are non-issues… after some playing with the Relative Folder option when defining the Source, I can get it to do what I want by…

Source = C:\MyFolder\MySubFolder
Relative Path = MyFolder\MySubFolder
Destination = E:

… will yeild E:\MyFolder\MySubFolder

It also seems that request #1 is also a non-issue (not that I’ve tested it) as there is a Backup Mode - Copy with deleting other than source files … sounds like it would do what I want.

Please add tooltips to service state buttons.

Like this? :wink:

[attachment deleted by admin]

One thing I would like to see in Comodo Backup is this.

When selecting the destination folder the window that pops up showing your destination drive has not the ability too add a folder, even having the create a folder if it dose not exist selected dose not create a folder automatically and having to go into windows explorer or similar is a pain. Maybe have the facility to add a folder by right clicking on the destination drive.

full windows and windows server image backup please and restore (M)

Hi,

Here are my wishes (hope most are not repetitions of already requested ones by other users :wink: ):

1. add the possibility to copy (ie. clone) a backup job. It is useful when you have 2 jobs that are very closely configured, though with a few differences. Moreover, this is also currently a must while multi-schedule is not available (see 2.), indeed if you want a given job done twice a day, you currently have to create 2 jobs (unless I missed something)
    1. add multi-schedule for a given job, eg. allowing a given job to be scheduled several times a day: morning & evening for instance
    1. improve the “Test” feature, in that it is able to give the expected file count & size of the backup, and possibly to show the files that would be backed up if done immediately, based on the settings (eg. if “incremental” method was chosen). This is not the same as the “Show files” option in the “Source” tab, as this latter shows all the concerned files, without respect to the settings (what is fine keep it).
    1. add a “Next run” column in job list
    1. GUI issues, minor ones but annoying enough to be here:
    • 5.1. in job list, keep memory of changed column widths in any case. Currently it is reset to default each time you edit app settings (Ctrl-S)
    • 5.2. allow to resize list windows like “Show files” in “Source” tab, or “Show full log…”, and keep memory of the size for next time

Anyway, thanks for this yet another very good freeware! Thanks a bunch guys for your hard work!

Sure you missed: Backup → Duplicate backup.

OK, thanks Grzegorz to point it out. However, one would expect to have this option in the contextual menu of the job list (ie. upon right button click), so my wish #1. is now far more simple: just add the “duplicate” option in the contextual menu :wink:

A COMPLETE system back up, so if you change your hard drive, you can restore your windows exactly as it was before from the DVD or external hdd…etc.
Also, being able to restore a certain folder or a file within the complete system backup.

My only wish:

Optimize transfers for remote synchronization of very large files.
Please check rsync algorythm. Rsync finds the difference between 2 files and transfers only the changed part, updating the destination file accordingly.
I make backups of an entire database everyday (2gb file) through the internet, but only 2-3 Mb are changed daily, which means that only 2-3 Mb needs to be transfered when backing up, not the entire 2gb file.

I really like the way Firewall scans the PC and checks for known appliocations. If Backup could do this then it could simply things by having these applications listed as checkable selections in the Backup windows.

To unravel that and explain what I actually mean, Backup would scan the PC and build up a list of your Apps. On one guy’s machine it might find Outlook, on another guy’s it might find Thunderbird.

Instead of each of these guys having to figure out where Outlook or Thunderbird stores its data files, Outlook would appear as an option on the menu in the first guy’s Backup, and Thunderbird would appear in the second guy’s.

Endorsed whole-heartedly.

Browsing capability should be provided for choosing source and destination folders.

Hello,

I am very happy with Comodo Backup. I would like to suggest a new capability. It would be nice if you could optionally uncheck/unselect doing a backup altogether and do a different task (command line) of your choosing or just simply send an email reminder without doing either a backup or an optional task. This would enable a user to eliminate the need for Windows Task Scheduler altogether since the Comodo Backup scheduler works better.

Note: I can do this now by creating a dummy backup that does nothing. The ability to run a pre or post job and send email are already available. By adding the option to select or deselect the backup job, it would eliminate the need to create a dummy backup (in cases like this).

hlb