CIS becoming paid?

You can always untick the sponsor deals during installation. It is one of the first things I learned myself in another decade already.

Neustar DNS was acquired by Comodo. It is not a sponsor like Yahoo or Yandex.

Sure, I don’t mind them being included in installation of Free product and do uncheck them, I was just pointing to another user that Comodo does indeed make money with the Free versions, which is another reason for burying the Free products at main website to not be a professional move on Comodo’s part.

But since the product will remain Free and as it seems this was a bad decision from Marketing department, this topic has run its course and can now be closed if appropriate.

We usually don’t close topics. We let them run their courses unless it is a highly controversial topic that is going out of hand.

The spelling correction was for me. The constant misspelling of the word “lose” is annoying to me. Now you’ll know how to spell it in the future.
You say that you were talking in general, but you weren’t… You said,

if I’d need to quickly deploy an antivirus on a customer pc, I surely won’t go for Comodo since I can’t loose 10 minutes to dig into the website

Anyone who deploys an anti-virus for a customer is someone who is knowledgeable about computers, not a normal user. So you’re moving the goal post right there. The Comodo website is a mess and if you had made that point, I would have agreed, but you didn’t.

If Comodo does stop providing CIS for free, I wouldn’t be happy about it, but $4.99 per year is hardly the end of the world. I would take more offense to it if they did it under the radar where no official notice is given. They’ve had a history of canceling products that way and it’s very unprofessional. It doesn’t create a lot of trust, that’s for sure.

I would like to stress Comodo is not going to stop providing CIS for free.

In fact, by browsing the website for the time being, CIS can be downloaded for free while CAV is not (or at least browsing the website, I cannot find a page where it can be downloaded for free).

But I think that during the installation of CIS if you remove the check from the firewall, CAV is installed.

Correct?

I confirm.

But I think that during the installation of CIS if you remove the check from the firewall, CAV is installed.

Correct?

Indeed.

The website is a jungle. At comodo.com there is only a link for AV under the For Home menu. It should already provide other products as well. Although I can see in a naieve view on security AV is the first thing people and uninitiated managers and other professional people may think about. But Comodo also has an appeal for the more advanced users.

When following the link to the AV we land on a page for the AV from where a free download cannot be found. Under the For Home Users menu there are various products to be found. There even is a link for the free AV but that page only provides a link for the paid version with misleading language. Then the page for CIS does provide the free version.

The website is terrbile and optimized to lead people to the paid versions with misleading clues about free download etc rather than the free versions. :-[ :-\ :frowning:

Hi Dennis,

Since I’m new to Comodo, can you tell us what part did Melih sell? …and who owns the CIS product for instance?

Please see here and here for who owns CIS.

Dennis

So it seems they sold the Certificate Authority division. So how much did that take away from CIS, etc. development funds? How are the free products subsidized… by the enterprise division?

Sorry I do not know, what I do know is there are more Comodo Staff on the Forum than there ever has been.

I will personally take that as a positive that CIS is going to stay free.

Dennis

It amazes me how people continue to speculate / ignore what’s already been said by you and quite a few others already. ???

Comodo makes money through providing security products and services for enterprises, e.g Comodo Client Security with Dragon Platform / Itarian, paid DNS services like Dome Shield, cWatch for enterprises, ethical hacking labs (Dragons Labs), they even have their own CDN called Beluga CDN.

I’d say they have plenty of money for providing free products for home users.

The free products are funded by funds from the enterprise divisions.

It is Melih’s vision to provide good security for free to people using the web. It is part of his vision about the web and he sees good and freely accessible security as a right for all users. Give all that for FREE!!! What’s the Catch? How does Comodo Make Money? shows some of his vision.

I came here to redownload CIS, because I needed to uninstall it so I could do a repair install of Windows, after the recent updates ■■■■■■■ up my install.

What I found were links to buy now, and no links to the free version. Even earlier instructions on this thread telling you which links to click on led me to the paid version, with no free download options. I had to grab it from the announcement thread.

I see someone keeps saying “It’s right here.” Well that’s fine… but what about people who are not going to come to the forum to get their security software? All they will see is that it’s $4.99 a year, and no free version exists anymore.

Personally, I almost turned to a different company right away, but decided to come to the forum first. Had I not found this thread, I would’ve gone with another company that offers a free solution, and I would not have come back here.

This is a HORRIBLE decision by those in charge of the website’s design, and implementation. Very very misleading, when links on a page for a free product lead only to the paid product instead.

If it says free, there should be a link to the free version that is easy to find, and readily accessible.

I mean seriously? This is beyond sketchy, if you ask me. This GREATLY lowers the chance of me recommending Comodo to other users, and that should tell you a lot, because I’ve been recommending this as my #1 security solution ever since the the first time I found it!

I don’t understand, it doesn’t makes sense to me.

Comodo.com → For Home → Antivirus → For Home User → Firewall\CIS

Anyone can explain this mess or is it just me? Why is the link to the Firewall and Internet Security package is located under Antivirus for home users?
If someone looking for Firewall or Internet Security specifically, why would they click Antivirus?

Since Comodo become Comodo Cybersecurity, the entire home page is a mess in my opinion.

Anyhow, if Comodo Cybersecurity would like to shut down or limit the free version it is totally fine with me especially if the paid version cost only $5, but please let us know!

Thanks.

The link is here as previously posted: Comodo Internet Security Pro | Complete Internet Protection Suite

Just scroll down

Having said that - it appears that the new website is a ‘work in progress’ right now! Give it some time

And Also Here> Comodo Internet Security | Best Internet Security Suite for Windows
And also scroll down to where it says “Free Download”

Work in progress? Messy! On my server, I have a test area where I make all my changes, and test them. I don’t turn a live site into a WIP, because it can easily cause messes like this one.

for a WIP, at least make a note (small banner, or notification bar, like a cookie notice?) stating that the site is under construction, and point to the forums for assistance.

Speaking of screwy links, the link to the forums on Comodo’s support site goes to the wrong URL. it goes to forum.comodo.com instead of forums.comodo.com, making it hard to find the forum too. Lucky for me, I already knew where to go. It’s been like that for months. Surprised no one has noticed, or mentioned it.

I appreciate your frustration! Anything you find such as missing or incorrect links, you can post here:

https://forums.comodo.com/report-comodo-forum-web-site-issues-b46.0/

Every bit helps - I hope . . .