ZAP to Comodo??? [Resolved-Switched to CFP]

I’m currently using ZAP. My subscription is going to be expiring this Friday. Part of me is thinking stay with ZAP and keep using the firewall with the subscription expired. I’m currently using 6.5.737 and it works very well on system. I’m leaning this way because I don’t think firewalls needs to updated like AV’s.

But I have question concerning the simplicity of Comodo. I was browsing the Comodo forums the other day and noticed they had a section for setting up firewall rules like for filesharing applications. Isn’t Comodo an application base firewall like ZA. I know ZAP let’s you set up your own advance rules for applications. I’m not a firewall expert and I’m looking for something that will work with the simplicity of ZA. I hope this is the case with Comodo. I like to be able to tell my firewall to allow always if it’s a trusted application. I like this set it and forget it approach. My wife and kids share the same computer and I don’t want to be bother setting up rules for all my applications.

So is Comodo as easy to use as ZA??? Like I said earlier I want to be able to set up my applications with simple checkboxes where I tell the firewall to allow always, ask always, or block.
Will comodo work in this manner with all my applications including my filesharing applications. Thanks.

Any respopnses will be appreciated. Because from what I’ve read removing ZAP from a PC might required the services of a priest carrying lots of holy water. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi gugarci and welcome
Updates usually come in 2 flavours. A cosmetic bug or a security hole fix. I don’t think it would be a good idea to use a firewall that can’t be updated.

But I have question concerning the simplicity of Comodo. I was browsing the Comodo forums the other day and noticed they had a section for setting up firewall rules like for filesharing applications. Isn't Comodo an application base firewall like ZA. I know ZAP let's you set up your own advance rules for applications. I'm not a firewall expert and I'm looking for something that will work with the simplicity of ZA. I hope this is the case with Comodo. I like to be able to tell my firewall to allow always if it's a trusted application. I like this set it and forget it approach. My wife and kids share the same computer and I don't want to be bother setting up rules for all my applications.

Setup for file sharing is the same for most firewalls. Port forward your router and firewall. The faq will step you through the process. The scan for known apps in comodo will set apps such as browser, email, messenger, anti vir etc. For unknown apps the alert box gives you allow/deny with a remember checkbox.

Any respopnses will be appreciated. Because from what I've read removing ZAP from a PC might required the services of a priest carrying lots of holy water. :P

Yes, you will require the services of a priest carrying lots of holy water. If that doesn’t work, go for it with a big stick :slight_smile:
You would be hard pressed to find a better support forum than this one. There are guys here that really know the ins and outs of this product.
Here is a link to an independant firewall leaktest you might like to peruse. This test was done using a slightly earlier ver of comodo.
http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php

Thanks for the response. With ZA for my file sharing apps I have them set to ask me every time I open them up. I just check the box to allow once and they work with no problems. I can download and upload with no need to do any kind of port forwarding for them to work. Will I be able to do this with Comodo? I thought Comodo set up rules automatically for less advance users. That’s how I use ZA. I let ZA set up the rules automatically based on my responses to the warning message about apps trying to go out on the net. I just don’t want to be bother by endless questions and problems from my wife.
Thanks again.

Hi gugarci,

Now it all depends on the level of security you want riight. If you need basic security you can reduce the security level and you will receive less number of pop ups. But if you want to do that why use a firewall? You can use windows firewall right?

For certain applications , like p2p you need to do port forwarding. but this has to be done once and its quite easy. You ll get all the help from the forums.

Why risk the security of the system for some extra bit of time???

Once you train the firewall (by setting rules, it’ll take only couple of hours) it’ll work like a baby…

And make sure you don’t increase the security level to the top…Cuz then it’ll be a pop up heaven…

gugarci,

No, Comodo is not like Zone Alarm, or many other FWs, for that matter. It’s not an application-driven firewall. It’s a network-driven firewall. There’s a basic flow to it, starting from the core:

Network connection rules - defines HOW all traffic is allowed (what types, IPs, protocols, ports, etc). This can be very basic or very detailed.

Application rules - defines WHAT applications can connect, and some details of HOW (protocol, destination IP, port). Again, this can be very basic, or very detailed, depending on your Alert Frequency settings.

Component entries - defines the bits and pieces that make up each application, and whether or not the application is allowed to connect with those components. This is a common place for a virus to try to hijack an application.

Here’s a thread to check out, for more info, all in one spot. https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6167.0.html The entry on Comodo’s layered rules may be helpful to you.

Here’s the basic deal: On an “Automatic” installation, there are default network rules created that cover the majority of common connectivity situations, and are very secure at the same time. By following that up with a “Scan for Known Applications” to automatically create application rules, and keeping the Alert Frequency on Low or Very Low, you will keep your interaction to a minimum.

Without application rules for the filesharing apps, you can just click Allow on the popup (don’t use the “Remember” option) and it will be allowed for that session only. However, you will still need to add a Network rule or two to allow for the unsolicited Inbound connections you will be receiving. That is a very simple thing to do, and once you’ve done it, you’re okay.

Hope that helps; if you have any other questions, just ask.

LM

Thanks I’ll check it out. Although I’m bit worried about it’s reliability after reading some of the other post on this forum.

One thing I really hate about ZA is the updates. I’m an update ■■■■■■. I love when new version of my apps come out. I love to update my software. But with ZA I hate when new versions come out. Updating ZA is like upgrading to Vista. :frowning:

What is concerning you? Let’s get it out there on the table…

LM

So you’re concerned about resource consumption. Aren’t all environmentalists like that? ;D. If it’s about CPU just ask and I’ll promise to provide 10 links or less (unmasked for the jokers out there).

Blackjacks or Russian Roulette?

My biggest concern is that I will have trouble setting up rules for some of my other programs that need them to work properly. I must confess even when I read some of the tutorials I don’t alway understand them.

Also does Comodo work well with XP’s fast user switching? I share the computer with my wife and kids.
Throughout the day there are always three users logged in at the same time. We switch users, not log off, when someone else needs to use the PC. Is this going to be a problem?
Also does anyone know if Comodo gets along with NOD32?

I might make the change this week. ZA is now giving us a pop-up screen every time it loads to remind us the subscription has expired.

That’s partly little mac’s fault because he loves to explain everything in detail so as to ensure that no additional follow-up questions arise, yet it usually results the opposite way he intended. My “tutorials” are straight to the point. 8)

FUS is known to be problematic with security software, and even CFP may be no exception. Again, if you don’t mind mac’s novels then he’ll explain it for you because he’s experienced in this and most other fields.

Never any reported problems (I have it myself). Nod is the best player in terms of compatibility.

You won’t regret it because the only pop-ups with CFP are useful ones including FREE version updates (and maybe, “Would you like a cup of coffee? Allow / Block”).

Fast user switching is very important for my needs. ZAP works very well with FUS. I’m going to have to research FUS more before I make a move. Thanks for all the replies. :slight_smile:

Let me help you speed up your research to start things with FUS:
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,681.0.html
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,4887.0.html
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6441.0.html

Thanks for the links. I looked at them briefly, getting ready to go out, and I didn’t see any problems. Did I miss something?

One thing that ZAP does with FUS that annoys me is that when one person get a popup message and answers it. The message is still there for the other to see once they switch back. You would think once someone answers the message it would disappear.
Thanks again.

What types of programs do you have that need specific rules; if it’s not something that you can simply respond “Remember” and Allow on a popup alert once and it’s done, we can walk you thru manual rules creation one step at a time. Regardless of the tutorial’s confusability, we CAN make it simple.

There are pretty much four things with CFP to help you have a “set and forget” firewall.

1. Install using the “Automatic” setup (don’t go for the “Advanced”)
  2. Run the Scan for Known Applications
  3. Make sure “Do not show alerts for applications certified by Comodo” is checked under Security/Advanced/Miscellaneous (which it is by default)
  4. Keep Alert Frequency (same location) set to the default Low, or move it to Very Low. This way you’ll only get one popup per application, so you can Allow and “Remember” and be done with it.

The “Auto” install creates default network rules that should work without any problem.

LM

Some users have had some trouble with FUS, but not a whole lot, I think. It has been reported, and I am confident a fix will be forthcoming. Comodo’s good about that.

LM

Probably the only apps that I have that are going to need advance rules are Shareaza, Arez and DC++.
I saw the Noob install video and I don’t think I will have any problems getting Comodo installed.
The only step I’m not sure if it’s going to apply to me is the define new trusted network wizard. I use Comcast internet service. I’m not 100% sure if I got to run this wizard also. I think i do.

Right now I’m more concerned about be able to remove ZA with no problems. But I’ve done my research and I’m pretty confident I will succeed. If not I’ll roll back.
IF System Restore can’t save me, I’m sure True Image will.

Although honestly the FUS is starting to worry me.
Thanks again.

The p2p applications are easy enough to set up. I think the tutorial’s are pretty clear-cut on those; any additional questions we can help with. No problem there. Might look here: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6167.msg45504.html#msg45504 Bold Red text is a link to the original topic.

The trusted network thing is ONLY needed if you are doing some sort of file-sharing, print-sharing, internet connection-sharing, etc. Otherwise, it’s really not necessary, in my experience.

ZA removal can be an issue, that’s for sure. This website has a removal script (zfix.zip, I think, on the right-hand side of the page) Site Disabled - FreeServers. Another user here in the forums posted that link earlier, here: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,7369.msg53910.html#msg53910.

Can’t tell you much on the FUS thing at the moment. Wish I had more to offer there. I need to run some tests to see if happens on my system at home. I’ll send me a reminder email now… :wink:

LM

Thanks for the link. That ZA clean-up tool will come in handy. As of right now I’m thinking of making the switch tomorrow or Thursday morning.
I’m hoping not too have too many problems with FUS. But every time I visit the ZA forums I’m constantly reminded that I need to move on. Doing any kind of updates on ZA can be a nightmare.

No problem; a lot of users have had trouble getting rid of ZA, so that may be very handy to have…

I’ll try to test FUS at home this evening, and let you know what I come up with. I’m not really anticipating any problems, but only time will tell…

LM

Okay, gugarci, I have news for you!

I’ve run some tests on my home computer, with XP Pro, and my wife and I both have profiles (she has a User account). I switched to her profile, then back, without any problem.

When I first logged in as her, CFP’s icon wasn’t in the systray. I ran it from the desktop icon, and presto! it opened no problem. All rules, all settings, configured just like I left it in my profile.

So for me, it’s not a problem. Thus, I think I can say that it’s not a definitive problem; it may depend on specific characteristics of each particular system. Which doesn’t help any, and actually makes it harder to resolve any issues…

But there you go. At least one without problem.

LM