Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service

Apologies in advance as I am 84 yo and trying to figure this out.

Comodo Internet Security Premium
Product Version 12.2.2.7062
Database Version 33031

System Event Notification Service failure to connect on 3 different PCs running Windows 7.
Please advise. Am unable to uninstall and go back to previous version.
Three PCs in our home.

Got the new Release last night. After rebooting, I now have have System Event Notification Service failure to connect on 3 different PCs running Windows 7.
Also having problem with Theme Properties and Audio (could this be related to System Event Notification Service failure?).
Tried to use a Restore Point from before the update and it didn’t change anything.
Am unable to uninstall Comodo through Control Panel.
Message says COMODO Endpoint Security Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error.
This is all very confusing.
Comodo works so very well for us.
Please advise.

if you not have installed in windows 7 updates below, try install :-TU

kb4474419 (64bits): http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2019/09/windows6.1-kb4474419-v3-x64_b5614c6cea5cb4e198717789633dca16308ef79c.msu kb4474419 (32bits): http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2019/09/windows6.1-kb4474419-v3-x86_0f687d50402790f340087c576886501b3223bec6.msu

=====================================================
kb3033929 (64bits): http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2015/02/windows6.1-kb3033929-x64_5c56222b0caf43030addc9ad262633fcbddfcd41.msu
kb3033929 (32bits): http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2015/02/windows6.1-kb3033929-x86_927e018113fe51250c57029635d46b89bf235920.msu

sorry my english!

In case you are looking for the installer of a previous version you could use the links in this topic.

Could you check the HIPS and Containment Logs of CIS and see if there is something being blocked related to the COM interface?

I’m not sure your (liosant) reply was meant for my question.

Until the CIS 2020 v12.2.2.7062 installed, I had no problem with System Event Notification Service failure to connect or other-related (I believe) issues. Ever since the update this problem is on 3 PC’s running Windows 7.

I cannot uninstall CIS through Control Panel at all. Message says COMODO Endpoint Security Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error.

I tried to rollback to the previous version of CIS through Restore Point and it did nothing (did not work).

I am looking for what to do to either fix the problems from the latest update, or how to uninstall Comodo.

Is there anyone who can offer help?

Make sure that the Microsoft updates for Windows 7 are installed as Liosant posted above, before you try anything else

Download and run the Official Uninstaller from your system(s) from here:Comodo Uninstaller and follow it through exactly with the requested reboots

Download the full Offline CIS Installer and try the install

Summary: After the Friday 27 Nov 2020 update 12.0.0.6818 → 12.2.2.7062, one serious issue appeared with multiple inter-connected symptoms - Windows startup (and shut down) is much much slower, standard non-admin users cannot log in, receiving “Failed to connect to a windows service - Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service” upon Admin user login, Windows Audio Service is disabled after startup and HDD usage is visibly much more extensive for 10-15 minutes after each startup

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)
Can you reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
100%
If you can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what you did & what happened:
1: Exact steps to reproduce the issue is to start the PC on the newest Comodo version 12.2.2.7062, happens with 100% of startups with this version (previous version 12.0.0.6818 before the Friday update had no such problem)
One or two sentences explaining what actually happened:

• On Friday 27 Nov 2020, Comodo updated from 12.0.0.6818 using a two stage process to the newest version 12.2.2.7062 (i.e. one update, PC restart, second update, another PC restart - just as described on this forum), no errors during update
  • But with this newest version 12.2.2.7062, whenever I start the PC now, it takes considerably longer than before and Comodo is now causing several seriously disturbing problems:
  1. After “Starting Windows” splash screen, a black screen appears for several seconds (previously, it did not at all), then it goes to “Please wait” Windows screen where it hangs for other tens of seconds (previously was only 2-5 seconds max.), then login screen shows up, I log in and another “Welcome” Windows screen appears hanging there for a few minutes (previously was 10-15 seconds only) and Windows startup sound does not play
  2. When Windows desktop loads eventually, I receive a Windows tray notification saying “Failed to connect to a windows service - Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem PREVENTS STANDARD USERS FROM LOGGING ON TO THE SYSTEM.” (so if I was not having Admin rights, Comodo would suddenly prevent me from logging into my own PC!!!) and Audio is disabled (it becomes enabled after about a minute later and Windows login sounds plays breafly); also HDD activity is much higher for several more minutes after this point than it used to be before Comodo update
  3. If I try to restart or turn off the PC less than 10-15 minutes after this point, the screen would hang on empty desktop screen (with no taskbar and no desktop icons, only background image) for 5-10 minutes(!!!) before Windows would actually switch off; if I restart or switch off PC let’s say 30 minutes or an hour after startup, I no longer see any delay with switching off (until the next PC startup again)
    One or two sentences explaining what you expected to happen:
    I expected a normal startup speed as with previous version, without Comodo interferring with essential Windows services
    If a software compatibility problem have you tried the advice to make programs work with CIS?:
    N/A
    Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
    nope, using only Comodo (CIS package)
    Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how you tried to fix it etc:
  • This is 100% caused by some problem in Comodo updated processes (since 12.0.0.6818), because with 12.0.0.6818, everything worked just fine and no other changes been done to the PC at that time except for Comodo 12.0.0.6818 → 12.2.2.7062 update
  • Tried various troubleshooting steps, none helped, so that’s why I am registering to this forum and filling a bug report…
  1. Tried multiple PC restarts, no use, bug still appears 100% of startups; tried to toggle settings profiles, no change, problem still happens the same
  2. Ran diagnostics (on 27 Nov 2020), it said it found issue “which could not be automatically fixed” (file attached), but upon reviewing xml file inside the report revealed there was no big problem detected
  3. Noticed on forum was posted issue with reduced vs. full database after update, so followed recommended steps of renaming the file to *.bak and running AV update, went well, but did not solve the problem
  4. Inspected Windows Event Log and with each startup after Comodo update, the log says “Windows Audio Service hangs on startup”; if I disable Windows Audio Service and restart the computer, it starts just fine with no errors either about Audio nor about “Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service”; however, this is not acceptable solution for obvious reasons; found similar issue posted by UnixBeard already back on 8 Oct 2020!!! (https://forums.comodo.com/bug-reports-cis/after-cis-installed-computer-takes-40-minues-to-fully-load-windows-desktop-t126095.0.html), and he mentioned that updating audio drivers do not help either… however I have no problem with Aero, so it is manifesting similarly, but slighly differently - also a user robpats posted similar problem on page 7 of forum post about previous version release 12.2.2.7036 (https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/comodo-internet-security-2020-v12227036-released-t125668.90.html) with “Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service”, but no real resolution provided by anyone
  5. Tried to do Rollback from Windows Restore point (created by Comodo before the update), but System restore failed (because of Comodo), tried from an earlier Restore point, failed again
  6. Uninstalled Comodo (option “Uninstall but keep option to reinstall again”), did System Restore and it went through successfully (as Comodo was not blocking the process anymore), but even though Windows said the installed version of Comodo was the previously working one (12.0.0.6818), it was missing vital files and Comodo could not start or be unistalled (Failed to locate initialization files); sadly I could not install the previously working version 12.0.0.6818 anymore, as the link to that version on this forum is pointing only to the newest one 12.2.2.7062
  7. Rolled Windows forward (by undo-ing the System Restore), re-installed the newest version 12.2.2.7062 (with only Antivirus option, to see if that would help), but yet again, when 12.2.2.7062 was installed, same problems started again
    8 ) Uninstalled Comodo (this time clean-sweep option of full removal), restarted and problems disappeared
  8. Installed Comodo 12.2.2.7062 again (with AV, Firewall and Internet Essentials again), kept fresh settings, problems started again
  9. Imported previously saved settings from first 12.2.2.7062 install, no change, issues persist
  10. Tried toggling some settings (such as “Check memory upon startup” or “Script analysis”), but no change whatsoever
  11. I gave up and filed this bug report as I cannot install the previously working version 12.0.0.6818 anymore, so I am stuck with this broken 12.2.2.7062…

B. YOUR SETUP
Exact CIS version & configuration:
12.2.2.7062 - Comodo Internet Security Premium (Antivirus, Firewall, Internet Essentials)
Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
Antivirus - On status change
Firewall - Safe regime
Auto-Sandbox - Allowed
HIPS - Safe regime
VirusScope - Allowed
Websites Filtering - Allowed
Have you made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
Only few files/apps added to HIPS/Firewall rules, none of them are any system or essential files/apps at all, never affected/caused any problem
Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 5, 6 or 7?:
No, this was a Comodo auto-update 12.0.0.6818 → 12.2.2.7062
if so, have you tried a a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:
I did - twice, did not solve anything
Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
Yes
if so, have you tried a standard config - if not please do:
Yes, absolutely no change whatsoever
OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
Windows 7, SP1, 64-bit, UAC-never notify, Account-Admin (my only luck, otherwise Comodo would lock me out of my PC), no VM used
Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS, including initial trial security software included with system:
a=None b=None

C. ATTACH REQUIRED FILES (delete this section (section C) after attaching required files)
Always attach the diagnostics file (instructions on how to do this provided here) and the KillSwitch Process List (instructions on how to do that provided here) and put the resulting file in a zip file. Both should then be attached to your post.
Note that additional information may be requested by the processing Moderator.

Diagnostics file attached both when 12.0.0.6818 → 12.2.2.7062 update was done (version from 27 Nov) as well as from today (29 Nov, after clean-sweep re-install of Comodo)
No KillSwitch found in the application (looks like this instruction was valid for some earlier versions of Comodo, not v12)

Sorry for a long post, but I really tried to do every troubleshooting I could before posting this bug, but I really could not solve it myself. Thank you for looking into this and hoping for some resolution to this, as Comodo has always been my choice, but with this update, it makes itself extremely tough to use… :frowning:

Hello, I have encountred the same problem as the post opener. In my case i had the ability to preform an uninstall through windows.
I have also ran Comodo Uninstaller just to make sure it was clean from any traces.
I have used the offline installer to install the new version, and upon reboot the System Event Notification error was still popping up.

I used a link that i found on the forum to revert back to version 6882 in the meanwhile, hope this problem get fixed.

Thank you for your advice. I understand now that I needed to check if I had these updates. I do have them installed.

Thank you for your help. Updates were already installed. Going to follow the rest of your advice for uninstalling now. Want to go back to the previous version for now.

Offline Installers for older CIS V12 builds can be obtained in this topic, 6882 is still a very stable build in my opinion.

V12.2.2.7062 (Firewall only) Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (clean install with all MS-updates)

On my system (as indicated above) I can log in normally using the Admin account and 3 Standard user accounts.
I can “Switch user” between all accounts or reboot and log in with all the accounts.
All accounts (Admin and Standard users) run fine with V12.2.2.7062, no issues.

Thank you for your comment and sharing what you did. I was also able to finally uninstall the new release and revert back to Version 6882.

Thank you for your help. I was able to finally uninstall the new release and revert back to Version 6882 on all 3 PCs.

V12.2.2.7062 (Firewall only) Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (clean install with all MS-updates)

On my system (as indicated above) I can log in normally using the Admin account and 3 Standard user accounts.
I can “Switch user” between all accounts or reboot and log in with all the accounts.

Hello,

Got some issues on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

First I installed new release via update. Everything looked fine during installation. No error messages. Just requesting a normal restart. After rebooting, I saw System Event Notification “failed to connect to a windows service windows could not connect to system event notification service service”.

I have got installed:

kb4474419

kb3033929

KB4490628

I uninstalled CIS at all and after that my Windows worked fine. But when I installed new release of CIS again I have the same System Event Notification like before… :frowning:

I have been used CIS for many years and it worked fine. But now I am very disappointed - it is something wrong with this new release of CIS itself.

Please help.

Not that much of help but just to let you know that CIS works on Windows 7:

I am having exactly the same problem as ender73. Using windows 7 Home Premium. Windows 7 was always kept up to date until updates ended.
So same request for help

Please use search and not clutter the release topic when there is already a topic on the issue, hence I have split and merged all post regarding the issue into this topic.

Unfortunately a fresh Windows install is the only way to solve this as I too had this issue on an old Windows 7 machine that started to happen since CIS 12.1 was installed and once I did a re-install clean wipe of Windows and installing all available updates, the issue went away. The other workaround I tried before that also helped was to add the Windows\System32 folder to Don’t detect shellcode injections in these applications