Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service

Hi feofife,
It seems this problem is resolved for user when he used v6408:
https://forums.comodo.com/bug-reports-cis/cis-10016223-failed-to-connect-to-windows-service2229-t119259.0.html;msg869383#msg869383

May you please try latest v6420 and share feedback if you still see problem?

Thanks
-umesh

@umesh
In the change log/fixes of v6420 there is no word about fixing that issue with the service error :o Can you recheck/confirm please

We could never produce it, just wanted to see if any unintended changes fixed it.

yep, exactly as described by OP and others in this thread: lock symbol, aero theme turned off, audio service starts late, unable to reboot or log out cleanly, only by hard reset.

quite strange, because I’ve seen this behaviour on EVERY windows 7 machine I installed CIS 10 on. that’s like about 5 out of 5 machines.
will try the new version.

quite strange, because I've seen this behaviour on EVERY windows 7 machine I installed CIS 10 on. that's like about 5 out of 5 machines.
well i do have windows7 machine with CIS10 (not the very latest version but the previous one) and did not have such big problems as you discribe - only a long boot process on "please wait" and desktop + lock symbol in the task area. But no reboot/log out by hard reset, and about the audio problem I didnt observe it. Maybe all this has something to do with the CIS settings - i do have auto-containment disabled and virus scope is on. Other components are enabled. I use only the firewall modus of CIS

maybe try this settings on your win7 machines and report

cska133, same settings here, autosandbox off, viruscope on.

by the way, it’s been already a few reboots with the new v6420 and it’s all good so far, but it’s too early to assume all fixed, the bug is especially annoying at its intermittency!

Well, it’s been already almost a week and everything’s running smooth, at least on my own machine (had no chance to test any other). I guess that 10.0.2.6420 does fix the bug in question indeed! :-TU

A. CIS Slows Down PC
Can you reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
Always (five reinstalls and judicious use of ciscleanuptool_x64)
If you can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what you did & what happened:
1:Clean install
2:Reboot
3:Log-in
One or two sentences explaining what actually happened:
No problem with a full clean install, but after reboot and logging in the screen blanks for a time with the with hard drive running full bore. After 5 minutes the desktop appears very slowly with icons taking over 10 minutes to display, desktop theme looks similar to safe mode presentation and with no audio service running. A further 40 minutes and audio might return and it might also be possible to run an app.
One or two sentences explaining what you expected to happen:
Not Applicable
If a software compatibility problem have you tried the advice to make programs work with CIS?:
Yes
Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
No
Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how you tried to fix it etc:
Note that previous versions of CIS have run perfectly except after 2017 update kept requiring both AV and Firewall to be selected after reboot.
Uninstalling CIS allows the PC to run perfectly well, running test software shows the OS files to be OK.
CIS diagnostic report excerpt as follows…

<CisDiagReport Status="Failed" Error=“0x000000b7” Version=“12.2.2.7036” OS=“6.1.7601 SP 1.0 64 bit”>
-//-
<Network Status="Failed" Error=“0x0000007a”>
<FLS Status="Failed" Error=“0x00000000”>
<TCP Status="Failed" Error=“0x800705b4” State=“ERROR” Hostname=“fls.security.comodo.com” Port=“4448” Protocol=“TCP”/>
<UDP Status="Failed" Error=“0x800705b4” State=“WARNING” Hostname=“fls.security.comodo.com” Port=“4447” Protocol=“UDP”/>
<KeepAlive Status="Failed" Error=“0x800705b4” State=“WARNING” Hostname=“fls.security.comodo.com” Port=“4448” Protocol=“TCP”/>

<AvDb Status="Failed" Error=“0x80072ee7” State=“ERROR” Hostname=“download.comodo.com” Port=“443” Protocol=“HTTPS”/>
<BinaryUpdate Status="Failed" Error=“0x80072ee7” State=“ERROR” Hostname=“download.comodo.com” Port=“443” Protocol=“HTTPS”/>
<ChromeSignatures Status="Failed" Error=“0x80072ee7” State=“WARNING” Hostname=“download.comodo.com” Port=“443” Protocol=“HTTPS”/>
<UrlFiltering Status="Failed" Error=“0x80072ee7” State=“WARNING” Hostname=“download.comodo.com” Port=“443” Protocol=“HTTPS”/>
<CMC Status="Failed" Error=“0x80072ee7” State=“WARNING” Hostname=“cmc.comodo.com” Port=“443” Protocol=“HTTPS”/>

B. YOUR SETUP
Exact CIS version & configuration:
Version 12.2.2.7036
Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
Default installation
Have you made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
No
Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 5, 6 or 7?:
No
if so, have you tried a a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:
Not applicable
Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
No, used ciscleanuptool_x64
if so, have you tried a standard config - if not please do:
Not applicable
OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1, Administrator
Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS, including initial trial security software included with system:
a=Not applicable b=Norton Internet Security (uninstalled)

Hello UnixBeard,

Thank you for reporting.We will check this issue.
Could you please check your inbox via PM and share us the requested logs & details for further analysis.

Have a nice day!

Hi Dharshu,

Thanks for your reply and requested additional information to follow…

Hello UnixBeard,FYI I didn’t get any of the details.Please check that and update us.
Have a nice day!

Hi Dharshu

PM sent.

Hello UnixBeard,

Thank you for providing the requested logs and we are checking in it.
Have a nice day!

Hello UnixBeard,

Could you please check your inbox via PM.
Have a nice day!

Kind Regards,
PD

Hi Dharshu,

PM sent regarding information.

Kind regards
UB

Hello UnixBeard,

Yes, I got your logs. Thank you.

Continuing investigation as to why revision 12.2.2.7036 installs but will not allow the PC to run correctly. A non-admin user cannot get past login!

Uninstalled revision 12.2.2.7036 and ran ciscleanuptool_x64 to clean system. And to remove any doubt about hardware and associated drivers, firstly tested all memory using memtest86 tool, tested HDD for errors, tested windows system files for corruption. All tests passed. Ran windows repair software. Disabled windows defender and firewall and checked how long the system took to produce a useable desktop for a benchmark reference. From logging in, the desktop was ready in less than two seconds!

OK, reinstalling version 12.2.2.7036 resulted in the same issues. Uninstalled and cleaned again.

Tried installing free versions of Zone Alarm, Avira and others. They all worked fine! Uninstalled and cleaned using respective tools provided by the companies concerned.

Installed Comodo CIS version 11.0.0.6802 and this also worked fine! After an hour or so this version automatically updated itself to revision 12.0.0.6818 and still works correctly. Have tried many reboots to confirm I did not imagine that it was successful.

Even though CIS is set to check and update the application every day if applicable, version 12.0.0.6818 does not update any further. I might be inclined to leave it at that.

With revision 12.2.2.7036, Could the problem be there is an issue with administrative rules?

U B

Please check with 12.2.2.7062 beta thanks.

Hi futuretech,

Release 12.2.2.7062 beta does boot up much quicker and can obtain a desktop display in about 3 to 5 minutes, much improved in this respect from 12.2.2.7036.

I still have ‘Failed to connect to a windows service’ and no Aero display. On inspecting event logs, Windows audio also failed to start. Temporarily disabled Windows audio service then rebooted and to my surprise the system produced correct Aero display and no error messages! Updated Realtek HD audio driver to the latest 2019 release but made no difference to long start up time when audio service was restarted. One other issue that occurs is that Comodo has to be manually enabled after desktop has loaded.

Looking at event logs for Comodo there are four entries produced by cmdagent. The description is for Event ID 0. WMI Failed to register the provider. myRegistrar->Register returned 0x800706BA. I am currently looking into this problem when time permits but any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
F B

Needed to uninstall comodo to test something, but I think just having the new version is killing something in windows 7. I’ve been having windows services errors which at the very least results in a grey task bar. These issues only began after the update, and I didn’t add any other programs so comodo is the likely culprit for now. Need more/longer tests.

Also been having issues with installing/uninstalling resulting in absurd shutdown/restart times (had to use the tool to remove comodo and even that caused a shutdown freeze).