Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service

Thank you futuretech,

Probably a fresh Windows install is very good solution for many troubles… But my computer is old, my Widndows is old and I’m quite old too - we all have better and worse days but usually we work quite fine :wink: I don’t like fresh starts - with time I have got collected many other programs connected with this old Windows. CIS is one of them - till last update there was no troubles with it. I like CIS and I think, that it has helped my Windows to stay alive for so long time. I tried to add the Windows\System32 folder to Don’t detect shellcode injections in these applications as you advise- it helped! After restart I didn’t see System Event Notification “failed to connect to a windows service windows could not connect to system event notification service service” and everything seems to work fine again… I hope that maybe after next release CIS could work as before without this special solution :wink:

For now - Thank you very much futuretech for your help,

Kind regards,
ender73

I can also confirm the “hack” with injection exception helps and system runs normally again, no more System event notification error. Also Audio now plays at startup again as expected and Win startup time is back to normal too. Awesome, thank you very much! :azn: :-TU

I would say the culprit would be some more system-hungry processes that the Comodo is running on system startup since 12.1… which is probably causing certain Windows Services to timeout at start. Eventually, they would start, but only after Comodo ends its power-hungry and time-consuming startup checks. With 12.0.0.6818, this has never been the case. (btw, both of those Win updates were already installed in my system quite some time ago)

Also my machine is quite old too, 10+ yo HW and probably 4+ yo Win installation, so this could also be contributing. But nowadays, going through another fresh Win install was not a solution for me anymore, same reasons as ender73 mentioned, it’s simply very exhausting to go through all the programs re-install and re-setup again throughout many many days, just to fix Comodo…

Sorry if this has been a duplicate post, but before I created this bug report, I really went through recent bug reports and there were none like this, so that’s why I wrote it. Maybe the other posts were in different sections of this forum, I don’t know…

But thank you guys again, especially thanks to futuretech for a vital resolution tip. :-TU

A Thank you from me also, futuretech.
I removed the latest version of CIS and installed the earlier version and all went well until the program updated. So I tried your instruction to add the windows\system32 folder to the don’t detect shellcode applications etc, and so far this has worked.
Thanks again.

I’m wondering if this fix doesn’t make Windows 7 core functions more vulnerable to potential (like buffer overrun) malware attacks?
Wouldn’t one not be better off to use the previous CIS version on Windows 7 for those who encounter this issue on Windows 7?

I have same problem (on Windows 7 64bit Home Premium). I used COMODO free CIS and have to uninstall it. Does this old version work for free? 6882 is only premium (from link), but I am not sure if it contain free version.

Btw. don’t detect shellcode applications for windows\system32 folder is still better then not using COMODO antivirus and firewall.

Yes, 6882 is free version. You can find download links in Reply #16 and #23 on page 2 of this thread.

All versions of CIS are free, unless you purposely buy the Pro version, which is functionally identical anyway

Thank you for the workaround @futuretech.

CISuserCZ, chedoane and all others,
Sorry for the trouble.

@CISuserCZ,
Thank you that you took lot of effort to explain the problem in detail.
We have asked our development team to check this issue, we will reach you through the Private message to get required logs.

Hi CISuserCZ,

Could you please check your Inbox for PM and provide the requested logs.

@All,
Our developer would like to join a remote session to check this problem. Please let us know you opinion.

I have same issues over 2 months on 3 different Win 7 PCs.

Everytime I had to boot windows 7 Pro x64 in safe mode and run Windows recovery/restore to an earlier state.

I would like Comodo to fix this without I have to reinstall Windows and go into the windows roots, in which I am incompetent.

My only other solution is to completely uninstall Comodo after running it for more than 15 years continously, to use different internet security software instead.

Please follow up on this.