Why do you use a security product (AV/HIPS/BB/FW etc.)

The options in the poll are not very good. Although I have never been infected since first coming on line in 1999, there have been at least a dozen times when my security software at the time has prevented an infection attempt. I also now do all my banking on line since my bank has no other option. I do a lot of online shopping as well and I use the Kiosk of Comodo plus the Dragon browser for added security. I do a lot of online gaming too with paid accounts which I don’t want getting hacked.

My opinion is that everyone should use at least a good AV product along with the Windows firewall. Additional things like being behind a NAT router and using a good security suite that has a two way firewall in addition to a modern AV are obviously more secure. I am not a fan of HIPS like products and things like no script that require user permissions for everything. I prefer my security to be as silent and automatic as possible and I find CIS 6 in mostly default settings to fit my needs perfectly. The only things I have changed are turning off auto-quarantine, enabling Firewall alerts for unknown things that get sandboxed (safe things give no alerts and create no rules), and cranking up the Behavior Blocker to the Untrusted level. Everything else is at the default setting.

Same reasons as you. Only I run CIS 6 with default settings & dont play games.

Well that’s pretty clear now :wink:

I save resources of my brain by using security things,
no un-necessary worries.

And i save resources of my computer by using my brain,
no super-plus-automatic-big-brothers installed.

I never needed a security (apart from firewall),
but i install the reasonable
to know that :smiley:

There is no option in the poll for me. Close to these:
Because I keep all my private info on my PC” - Though I don’t care much for my personal information as I care for my PC to be in good working condition.

Because the Internet is scary” - Though the dangers for my PC are not only from the Internet, they can be from flash disks as well.

I would choose

• if Imaging and Snapshot technologies apply to it

and

because

Hi clockwork,

Am I reading incorrectly, I just see a hint of contradictory?
Thanks.

Translating tenses into english is contradictory i guess :smiley:

“If i had found a virus, i would have submitted it.”
Better?

The main point is, no machine got infected here. But since i use an antivirus and a hips and a sandbox, i know it.

Edit:
Your quoting wasnt capturing the meaning of both posts.
Like:

Are options 1 and 3 necessarily different?

From the options i really wasn’t sure what to pick. I suppose for me I want my personal information to be secure. I also want to prevent malware from deleting/encrypting my files or making my computer unusable. Productivity is also important.

Hi clockwork,
I took it to be in one quote that you only use a Firewall and no other security applications, the second quote to be that you also use an Antivirus as well.

The wires got crossed somewhere in my interpretation.
As you say it could be due to translation, I do apologise for any misunderstanding. :slight_smile:

Thank you.

F/W - I use a firewall to control incoming and outgoing traffic using comodo default rules and was well as a few rules of my own.(For this current computer that I’m using). I like my computer to be resistant to port scans and be more invisible on the network and online

Hips - I like it because it lets me know if anything unusual is going on especially unknown stuff that will require my attention

av - while it’s basicly a blacklist detector, it reduces the pops up that I need to answer which saves me some trouble right off hand
of having to investigate it

I could go on but thats just the bare basics of why I choose to use it

Just lately i heard of an incident where “an antivirus product” notified
“trojan blocked and q`ed”
but the computer got locked by the rogue though.

Thats why you need a hips (which asks), and a virtual sandbox to delete a drive by.

Without a hips/virtual sandbox, “any” valid notification of an antivirus would let me reinstall (apart from just a file detection).

I use reasonable security (low resource profile, logical layers - closed circle) to know when something is wrong, or to auto delete things that i did not choose to reside anyway.
Dont want to see it by aftermath.
Dont want to swing the brush for an applications fail.

I use security products because I do have so personal documents I need protected, and incase I get an infected patch for adobe, Java, etc.

I am using it to whats going on in my PC… maybe no virus or trojan I never faced them… Security product makes me feel safe while using the PC

i use security product because i strongly believe that it is necessary to use while i use pc or laptop. 8)

And for me, it needs to do it as silently as possible.

I use no additional security products. :slight_smile:

CİS is the complete product for security :-TU maybe we can use an on-demand scanner product like MBAM or HitmanPro

With “no additional” I mean that I use no security product that is not part of my system (Ubuntu). So I use the built in firewall (ufw), the sandboxing-features in the Linux-kernel – which my browser makes good use of (overview) – etc. :slight_smile:

got it :smiley:

saves me the trouble of having to reinstall.