Why did you uninstall CIS? Please help us improve by telling us why.

I had uninstalled CIS for some time because of this ideas:

1. to have multilayered protection of several different products is better - finally I’ve got into such a mess with my comp that I was hardly able to find valid CTM snapshot to return - there happened to be CIS Pro - I’ve been using it now.
  2. when one studies ratings usually he finds that CIS is worse then other widespread free avs in false positives.
  3. CAV can’t disinfect files, it removes them unlike some other widespread freebies.
  4. from my own experience - when something wrong with OS (which are not so evident in behavior of other progs - may be not all necessary windows updates installed, or there were some injuries to the system by other progs etc) CIS can behave in rather weird way - once it got stuck at scanning not on a file but on some ip (there was .NET Framework or some windows componets missing)

On my PC: CIS = slow machine, Outpost = no problems.

Maaaaan, you wasted your money for a weaker protection......not good!
According to Matousec? :) May be, but saved time and nerves. I don't care about 30$. Any time CIS won't slow down my PC I'll back.

Your choice, bro!
It seems that it was isolated problem…otherwise there would be hundreds of posts saying CIS slows down systems…
Maybe you could try to reinstall it…that wouldn’t hurt, right?

May be left overs of previously installed security programs are in the way. Try using removal tools for those programs. Here is a list of removal tools for common av programs: ESET Knowledgebase .

No, according to that I can easily infect a computer with Outpost in 5 minutes and I still haven’t been able to do the same using CIS

I can infect my computer in 5 minutes even with CIS :slight_smile:

Yeah…only if you are smart enough to allow pop-ups… :wink:

Of course you can infect a computer running any combination of anti-malware because no security software will ever automatically provide 100% protection because 100% detection is impossible. The best security software detects and blocks known malware as it is downloaded or copied to the computer, and generates warnings about potentially suspicious behaviour of unknown programs when they are executed. Unfortunately this relies on the weakest part of the entire security setup - the user - to make the correct decision for every warning. There is also the possibility that a completely new type of malware may not generate any warnings at all.

This is why just after I installed CIS v3.8 I also I installed Sandboxie which was recommended here on the Forum. Sandboxie drops the rights of all programs and in true default deny fashion and confines them to a virtualized space and lets nothing run that the operator does not specifically allow and everything else can be either deleted or overwritten with CCleaner or any of the powerful algorithms in Eraser.

~Maxx~

It uses too many resources (+100 MB memory in Win7 32 bit and + 150 MB memory in Win 7 64 bit). On top if this you just get insulted in this forum if you say anything negative. NEVER had such a bad experience.

Who insulted you?

Are you talking about the working set memory, virtual memory, or private memory?

Negative experience with the service

the software (java based) dont’ work with defense+ active

I uninstalled CIS basically because I just feel that Outpost 7.5 is a better product…Very light on the system and I have no slowdowns on the programs that I use.

How do yo feel it? it what Outpost do you feel is better?
I tested Outpost 7.5 and the bot time was slower than with CIS

• continual quality issues, every release has too many of them.
  • functions at the expense of reliability / quality.
  • despite several re-installs of both CIS and the OS, i get corruption of explorer.exe with CIS on one particular machine.
  • increasingly resource heavy
  • too many prompts for system and svchost for normal users
  • AV still weak
  • proactive defence is a great and necessary concept, but CIS implementation leaves too much overhead for the user, CIS needs better algorithms and auto configs.
  • due to all the above, replaced with Privatefirewall, Malwarebytes pro, MS Security Essentials, Trusteer Rapport. Altogether quicker and arguably more comprehensive protection than CIS (and Melih never did take my recommendation of buying up Malwarebytes rather than frigging around the hard way and still not getting it right!)

Probably less hassle, not so many manual configs / interventions required. I tried Outpost and would have continued to use it had they chosen a better AV supplier to integrate with.

Which ones?

Like what?

So must be a problem of the machine or something installed not a CIS problem.

Every release the AV is lighter, the rest is transparent to the computer, any proof?

MSE is a joke and the target of all the malware, many malware is able to kill and or uninstall MSE
The time that I was testing PrivateFirewall I didn’t found it lighter than CIS (without AV)
Also private firewall on x64 is a joke is not even able to pass the most simple leak tests, on 32 bit systems is good enough.

My experience with Outpost is that the whitelist not as big as the Comodo whitelist.
About popups, well Outpost does not include a sandbox so I again my experience is that produces 4 or 5 popups for the same stuff while CIS only show one. Also is true that Outpost by default is configured in a way a missed a lot of popups in detriment to the security while with CIS that does not happens.

Loraiden, you are out of order! This thread is an invitation to users to say why they uninstalled CIS, and what I get in reply is a highly defensive, even childish reaction, sorry to say.

I repeat in my experiences, and from what i see on the threads, my observations are entirely valid. I want to CIS succeed even more since it has a great ethos, but particularly quality control is a massive, general issue for the company, and not just with CIS but with several other products which I have used over the years.

For IT professionals and very keen amateurs with plenty of time to experiment CIS may be a great choice, but for the people who need a less interactive and more reliable security software CIS is not as good choice as several other products, but I hope it gets better, and that is my motivation.

This thread is about CIS not about “several other products”
One thing are observations and another facts.

I was just asking for curiosity but now I can appreciate how is highly defensive to answer…

Are you really telling me that Private firewall is for “people who need a less interactive and more reliable security software”?.
Of course there is no premium security for ultra noob users, and there is no need to be an IT professional to use CIS, my mom is using it, she just need to understand the workflow of sandbox+HIPS
Why CIS is not reliable? did you found any malware able to bypass it?
Which quality issue have you encounter while using CIS?

As you have found many issues related with quality and reliability is an easy question. Maybe we can even report a bug

You can say what ever you want about CIS I was just asking about some details, if you don’t want to answer don’t do it.