Why did you uninstall CIS? Please help us improve by telling us why.

I had to uninstall CIS 5.10 of my new system with windows 7 64 bits because CIS created a lot of problems… For exemple, it locks some of my application making them impossible to open and that even tough I place the folder in the exclusion of the AV and in the Trusted file of Defense + and sandboxe… I try a clean uninstall and reinstall with no luck :cry:

I will wait for version 6.0 and hope that the numerous problem I had with version 5.10 will be gone :wink:

Once I proudly installed CIS on my friend’s comp. I was expecting praises from him. He uninstalled CIS the same day because there was some minor problems with the firewall, but he wasn’t keen on adjusting it. He just installed Eset back - this prog does everything on its own.

Well, here is a mine set of “why”-s.

I’m a long time prophet of a good old idea “the best AV must contain the brain.sys driver” so last few years In’t use any AV but a SuRun + HIPS (Malware Defender) chain and Sandboxie or VM sometimes. I’ve trying CIS many times starting from a late 3.x versions IIRC but constantly unistall it and returns to this combo. So, well, my top of a stupid questionable (this opinion is based on a long-time multi-year experience) things.

1. CIS “configurations” is a ■■■■■■■■ – it didn’t allow to easy switch between different protection levels because every time when I switch to a previously unused config I need to re-create all rules starting from scratch.

CIS “Sandbox” is very hard and (mostly) stable, and “Auto-sandbox” works good enough but it miss two important things – here is no any way to…

1. …“transfer” a running app out of SB – the one only way is to relaunch it completely;

2. …“transfer” a sanboxed app data out of SB – while it’s possible to copy out a new/modified files here is nothing to do with a new/modified registry settings.

Firewalling in CIS was one of the best for a very long time but… Hey, devels! It’s the 21 century today! And CIS networking, to be more precise – addressing – looks at least “ancient”, to not say more. It’s a bunch of private/mobile nets around the every corner today and this nets uses the same addresses (like 192.168…) very often. And both of mine-best-friend-home-net trusted net and mine-favourite-pub public networks can use the same 192.168.1.x making all rules (and especially “Trusted networks” paradigm) absolutely useless at least and may be dangerous.

1. Netwoks addressing scheme in CIS FW rules refers to a net/mask only and didn’t allows to make a different rules for the same addressing

And last but not least

1. CIS UI goes more and more housewife-oriented and looses small but very usefull features like a tiny button to call a Process List that been placed on the “Home” Tab and almost hidden too far away in the last versions.

Proposals:
  1. Put out [a user-created] app/net/hips rules into a separate config “area” allowing to reuse this rules with a different configs (mark an every rule with a “mark” pointed to a config under what it was created if you really need it).

2. While a CIS drivers intercepts almost every kernel/OS functions calls there is a only one little step to go: realise an ability to “unhook” apps (freeze process, modify its internals to point to a real functions, unfreeze).

3. “Transferring” of not-runned app out of SB – it’s extremely simple and here is nothing to say – just copy files and merge registry.

4. Networking addressing should take into account not only address/mask but an other data too – for example Def.GW and/or DHCP DNS etc. IP and/or MAC etc. – like this planned in the Win7 “Net Detection” but more smart and not so ugly.

5. Make somewhere in Options a [deeply hidden] option “I’m not a blondie” “I’m power user” that unhides all useful UI elements (like above mentioned “Processes” button) that was removed during 3.x → 4.x → 5.x “redesigning”.

I will uninstall Comodo because of a known issue with AVAST whereas maliscious programmes can gain outbound access.

This is a shame as I have used Comodo for some time and never had a problem.

However, I feel in this instance it is Comodo’s ‘responsibility’ to update their codecs. Avast use newer ones.

I hope this will be a temporary thing but the two programmes clearly conflict with each other.

If this is solved by Comodo I have no hesitation to return using the programme.

I am by the way a user of the free version and would like to thank Comodo for a superb programme that has served me well in the past.

regards

There is a preview version of CIS for Windows 8 that tackles the problem you are facing. It is based on v5.8 and you could consider using this version (remember to disable the program updater).

Stay tuned for CIS v6 which will tackle this problem. We are expecting a public beta late August-early September.

I love the CIS and the idea behind it, great protection and detection and easy to use. Just one problem I have a some what older machine and the cmdagent.exe runs really high sometimes as high as 99 CPU when I run most programmes. It calms down after the initial loading of the programme but noticeably affects performance of the loading of the programme or the system while it runs that high, otherwise practically perfect PC protection in my books ;D

I uninstalled CIS 5.10 because it had to many memory laps every time I tell it a software on startup was safe it had a memory failed and if it wasn’t on your white list would block it from starting up on my boot up.

Thank you very much for the tip. I will have a look at what the safety implications are of reverting to 5.8 and very much hope version 6 will resolve the issue. I certainly will use it again if it does.

regards

the main two reasons are as follow:

f1) it’s good to submit suspected sample or program auto but it take long long time to feedback

i all ready submit some infected sample manully to see how much time it will take to analyaz but i diden’t have the feedback after a week although it is infected… realy dispointed

1. in the firewell when you show the programs that are connected to the internet , when you chose one and right click if you chose search about it every time dosn’t give me correct result while if you chose submit, it will give you directly massege as already submit and green icon as safe ?

i tested with server for some hacking program such as bafrost as remamber and it give me safe already submit also !!

You will get no feedback for malicious samples…only for false positives. :wink:

ok i know that ;D

but after a whithin a week, i was scaning the infected sample every day …

and it was not detected !!

thats means the sample hadn’t analyaz … and the antivirus data also hadn’t update …

as a result the infected file hadn’t deteected for a week :-\

because …
i’m downloaded 240 viruses for anti viruse database test
but comodo only detected 198 viruses
i think you should release better database for comodo AV
kaspersky : 236 items
emsisoft : 238 item
f-secure client security : 228 item

This kind of test is just useless today…

yes , comodo is a powerful suite but comodo without firewall & defense+ have very low detection rate

I don’t agree with you. Comodo has really improved its engine since 4.x versions. And I hope with v6 we’ll have the best suite ever.

All

This topic is meant for users to leave their feedback as to why they uninstalled CIS for Comodo. Nobody needs to agree with their reasons, but only appreciate that they took the time to post the feedback. There is no need to challenge the feedback.

Thanks…

you can test it yourself
i can send u link of my viruses for download and test

Now Comodo AV is at par or even better in the AV market.

as Kail says citation needed.

As for me I can prove quite opposite statement: av-component of Comodo is on a par with the best avs by detection:
Lets take Shadowserver Foundation - they check only signature-based detection, not protection:

So you can see it’s really among the best at detection and is improving.

in 1 year average is number 1 windows AV.