What do I think about Comodo?

Valentin, I’m not sure Bob allows the disclosing the contents of a personal message.
Anyway, Bob’s feelings are within it.

Not Eric. I thanked you for some of your interventions and thank Even because of his.

I have already say sorry (reply #74).

Eric, seems that I can’t say a word and you see second, third intentions.
I don’t know what to do or post about that.
Do you really think in Bob’s case you could achieve comprehension?

Melih, any thoughts about this? Thanks.

what aspects of it?

Avoiding:

1. Fake samples.
  2. Duplicate samples (the huge increase of samples).
  3. The necessity to share samples asap and not with a small delay (after processing them).

By the way, afaik, one of the companies that shares “excellent” quality samples is a paid one: ESET.

Why would a trusted AV company give a fake sample to the other trusted AV company?
Duplication: its a simple sha1 check…
Once u process…u know if its malware…if u know its malware…u share instantly…

Makes sense.

But in case of million of samples?

Is it done this way? How long does a company take to share the sample?

if you share regularly…u won’t have millions of samples to share…and sha1 is totally viable even for millions of files…

how long company takes to share a sample: longer than a malware needs to do its damage!

Well… not really. The practice of deception is not limited to explicit claim. :wink:

But back to my point…

In leading by example, what virtues are on display in a snide taunt such as: “how much are they paying you?” What is implied in that question that couldn’t or wasn’t said in a much less innocuous and far more trenchant manner? Melih, what do you have to say to the subject of tact (not to the subject of whether Comodo should be defended, nor to the subject of whether you should be involved)?

I was thinking you’ll say two or three days… Which is much already.
I think av companies just want to say: “Hey, we’re the first (or the only) to detect this and that…” and that is the problem. Indeed it could be too late.

I have already say sorry (reply #74).
Eric, seems that I can't say a word and you see second, third intentions. I don't know what to do or post about that. Do you really think in Bob's case you could achieve comprehension?
After you said you would provide us with examples in the future you repeat a similar complaint without corroboration. That explains my reply. That's not assuming second or third intentions.

If you question my moderating there is the report this post button.

Edit by EricJH: fixed a couple of quotes

I’m not. I know I can use the report button, but I don’t think it is the case.
I’m not complaining.

Are you referring to this phrase as a complain?

Do you really think in Bob's case you could achieve comprehension?
It's not a complain, it's just a question that could make we improve. Peace :)

This sequence of event is what I was talking about. Timeline:

That’s laudable.

No corroboration.

It's not a matter of money. Why do you think people that moderates for free will do it better if it is for money? Why do you think working for free is the passport to work worse or not having "fabulous demands"? Indeed, if I don't have "fabulous demands" for Comodo forums I would already logoff :)
In this reply to ss26 there is an underlying assumption that mods are not doing their work properly.

I think people should be more tactful and not come here and attack Comodo :slight_smile:

Yeah. Ok. Me too.

But once again my point, which I think after explaining several times would be pretty clear, is cast aside and responded to with the thematically-nearest narrative of your choice. Is that intentional or do you really not understand what my point is?

Intentional…because I think you are being rude calling me tactless…So i was giving you the opportunity to stop going down the path you were…

You weren’t giving me an opportunity. You were being equally rude in return, and, (drum roll) passive.

So I’ll take a page out of your book then Melih…

It is totally factual that you asked Bob how much avast was paying him, right?

Does this excuse my rudeness? Does this make what I’m saying dead-on accurate? Of course not. And neither did the same line of reasoning for you. And mind you, I’m not the one self-proclaimedly leading by example.

I did have the decency to explain why I feel the way that I do. And put as much emphasis on instance as I could over conclusion. The manner in which you dealt with Bob was genuinely disheartening to me.

You should realize Melih, that side stepping someone’s genuine concerns goes a long way toward escalating, assuming they don’t immediately give up and leave. So it’s a bit unfair that you should begin casting me as an attacker.

Bob made a false accusation and when asked to back it up, he failed to do so…this is called shi* throwing…

Yeah. I know.

Anyway…

In leading by example, what virtues are on display in a snide taunt such as: “how much are they paying you?” What is implied in that question that couldn’t or wasn’t said in a much less innocuous, and equally or far more trenchant, manner?

Wow, talk about a ‘tempest in a teapot’. :stuck_out_tongue:

You say you were ‘genuinely disheartened’ by the treatment of Bob. Really?
I suggest you go read all of Bobs posts (there’s a link to it a few pages back) and then maybe you won’t feel so sorry for him. They certainly changed my perception of him.
Bob likes to come here and snipe; he’s left 30+ posts over the last 4 years and they are 90% snarky; every other word is ‘fanboy’ - meanwhile he’s the biggest Avast fanboy ever. So much so that Avast contacted him and asked if he would like to come out of retirement (yes, a 70 yr old who uses the term ‘fanboy’) and become an Avast ambassador and run ‘Avast security seminars’, so one would suspect they paid him.

I’ve been reading about Corporate Astroturfing. Basically corporations pay people to ‘manipulate perceptions’.
Basically these shills go to - say, Amazon, and spread bad reviews about the competition, while writing glowing reviews about their employers. They poison google searches, they go to Youtube and flame and troll and generally rain on their competitors parade. Kind of like a modern day ‘whispering campaign’.

The OP says Avast didn’t tell Bob to come here (or pay him to post here) and I believe him. But before he assured us of that, I suspected that Bob was a paid astroturfer. He fit the MO

Can We put Bob out of this otherwise I will make with title “Let’s talk about Bob1360” ?

Regards,
Valentin N