Virtualization (Returnil)

Upon installing Returnil there’s the option to create a partition where data can be stored if you only have the one partition/drive available.There’s no facility to save snapshots or sessions in Returnil free,it’s just a basic system virtualisation app.The premium version allows file changes to be saved under the ‘advanced settings’ option.

Hi Guys

I have the pro version and I have read the instruction manual and I still could not figure it out. To me, it is a headache software. The reason I said that is because I do not know how could windows update successfully with returnil as well as security software updates such as anti-virii and firewall. Every time I update my security software after reboot the update is lost. If I cannot figure this out I will definitely give deepfreeze a try. PLEASE HELP.

Peace to all. Including the Emperor. :wink:

If you have Returnil on - any change you made will be gone. I think you should stop playng with it and try Sandboxie instead. Much less of a trouble. :slight_smile: Such apps as Returnil are great in schools, librarys and such, but not so very comfortable to use at home or work. And that constant rebooting when you want to actually save something was driving me nuts ;D

To save updates etc. the options are limited to saving the entire session to hard disk,(under advanced settings)not really a perfect solution I know.I think I read that they’re refining this to allow a far more granular configuration in the next version.To be honest youcan run an unvirtualised session on ‘patch tuesday’ to get the Windows updates and your firewall will be sufficient protection provided you only run WU and don’t surf any other sites at the same time.If you’re really paranoid you can always save rather than run the updates while virtualised then burn them to cd or save to a usb key etc. then install them offline.The AV updates can also be downloaded and saved in the same manner,Softpedia or Download.com host updates for all the main AVs.

out of interest: how does our DiskShield latest version compare to returnil? We put the ability to store session etc.

your views would be appreciated
thanks
Melih

Hi Melih

I really did not know that. I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

Peace.

It compares quite favourably feature-wise to Returnil Pro,which considering DS is free,is looking good.A couple of things that’d be useful to add to it would be
A:The ability to create a permanent storage area for files,for users with only the one partition and
B: A few more options with regards to saving sessions,for example saving bookmarks or software updates,rather than just ‘all or nothing’.

Even as it is though it’s a good little application :-TU

Commodus Returnil is making me so much of a nut right now >:( that I do not have any hair left on my head, sort of. ;D

Peace and Be Kind To Your Subjects

It’s still in beta as yet Jaki but hopefully not for too long.

TRIPLE +1 on the A&B Features, And yes putting CDS latest beta & Returnil Pro in a boxing ring would be quite interesting. :wink:

Josh

Hi Melih

I have a question for you. Will I be able to save for example windows updates as well as my firewall and antivirus updates after re-boot with COMODO DiskShield. Please Help.

May the peace of God be upon you.

yes… thats what the session saving feature does…
you do all your stuff… then reboot… then you have a chance to decide whether u wanna keep it or not…

Melih

Hi Melih

Thanks for your prompt reply however, I have one more question for you. What if I do not want to save the entire session but only a folder or even one simple word document for example, would I be able to do that?

Peace.

You can create a virtual drive where everything you put there will NOT be deleted.
so the two features we introduced were these features where you can create a section where no matter how many times u restart the information will persist and the other is session saving.

Melih

Hi Melih thanks again and currently I’m at work and I will try Commodo Disk Shield tonight after the VP debate !ot! Go Biden !ot!. Also is there an user guide for diskshield?

Peace.

My bad,I completely missed that when I trialled DS (it was at 4am though!).I didn’t get any prompt as to whether I wished to create a permanent storage area or not,perhaps you could include this as an option during installation ? However this makes Diskshield a very attractive alternative to Returnil Pro.Also I’d presume from the ‘block advanced disk access’ option that this is fully hardened against ‘killdisk’ type malware? :-TU

Thanks for this info, Melih.

I will look at the final version of this when the help-guide is available, and hopefully I won’t need a VM Anymore. :wink:

Josh

yep!

Melih

I’ll certainly recommend DS as soon as it reaches a full release status,it looks as if Comodo has hit the spot with this one! (V)

Thank you!

Melih