V3 and BSoD [Merged threads]

Running on a Toshiba Satellite P205-S7476 laptop.

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1 RC (32 bit) and all recent updates

Anti-Virus: AVG version 7.5.516 with current definitions

Security: Comodo Firewall v3.0

Apparently when I press the function key (FN), which brings down a heads up display of all the function key settings, CFW causes windows to blue screen with the IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal message (dump file attached). This happened once before, using an early version of CFW v3. Uninstalling CFW allowed the FN key to work as designed. I thought maybe the recent update to CFW v3 would have corrected this. I hope the information gathered from my dump file will help you to fix this problem, or perhaps allow you to provide me with some sort of fix.

TIA

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nothing? Am I doomed to use Windows Firewall?

:cry:

I have the same MBoard m2n32-sli deluxe wireless with the realtek rtl8187 wireless 802.11g 54 Mbps usb 2.0 network adaptor,with the wireless able to run in windows zero config or in the MBoard supplied ASUS WIFI-AP SOLO(which takes control of the windows zero config).
I have tried different versions of the wireless network adaptor drivers with different versions of comodo firewall and everything i have tried has resulted in a bluescreen error and shut down of my pc during the wireless detection and enable process after doing a fresh install.
I also get the bluescreen when the wireless is being initialized after i have it all installed.
If i install comodo firewall on a fresh system it installs fine and works great,right up to the time my wireless kicks in and starts,then its bluescreen again.
If i install my wireless and get it all setup and working on a fresh install then install comodo firewall i get a bluescreen and shut down during the kernal install of comodo firewall.the last 3 versions of comodo were tested along with the latest version.
I have installed The comodo software on my system with windows xp pro x64 and x86,windows xp home x86 and x64,Vista business edition x86 and vista ultimate x64 and have the same problem on all of the operating systems tested with comodo and my wireless adaptor.I have tinkered with this MBoard and Comodo for 2 weeks or so,installed my apps in different orders after doing fresh installs,I have installed comodo after getting my windows updates and before doing them as well,before and after other software i use.
The only time i have the bluescreen is when i have comodo installed and working and my wireless adaptor tries to start(initialize) ,or i have my wireless adaptor in and working correctly and then try to install comodo(the BLUESCREEN and shut down ALWAYS occurs during the kernal install).
I can install and run comodo and my wireless and both of them work great,JUST NOT TOGETHER at the same time,and i cant install comodo after i install my wireless adaptor.
My bluescreen error says: IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL
and tells me to remove any newly install software(which would be comodo or my wireless adaptor),the most common cause of this error is misbehaving drivers.

My System:
ASUS m2n32-sli wireless deluxe mboard
amd 64 athlon x2
2 gig sli ready mem
nvidia geforce 8800 gt alpha dog edition
asus wifi-ap solo wireless
realtek wireless rtl 8187 adaptor
3-320g sata harddrives(not on raid setup)
benq dvd player
liteon dvd burner
verbatim cd burner
hp external dvd/lightscribe burner
epson stylus c84 printer
usb mic
belkin 4 port hub
logitech 5.1 true surround system
usb scanner
belkin nostromo n52 speedpad
netgear rangemax wireless router

I didnt install in safe mode,I tinkered with my wireless adaptor in safe mode tho.
Didnt matter what i did or how i did it,Comodo firewall will not run on my pc at any time if i use my built in wireless adaptor to connect at the same time comodo is running or installed.Comodo will run on my system if i disable my wireless adaptor and dont use it.

thanks for that rloyed youve been the most helpful here, but a firewall to work without internet is completely pointless and senseless to have so i guess i gatta find a new firewall, outpost i didnt like, jetico was ok, i dont like tht norton stuff or kasperskys firewall, zone alarm no longer does x64 support,anyone know anything else i could possibly use

thanks

Hi rloyed - Do any of your drives use an eSATA interface? That appears to be a bug that has not yet been fixed yet. Since you actually had a Blue Screen, you should have a .dmp file with the details of the crash. It would be valuable if you could post your last message in the bug reports thread:
https://forums.comodo.com/bug_reports-b106.0/
and attach your .dmp file (Assuming that you have logging on) in a zipped format to the post.

I havent got any esata connected drives…
I use acronis for easy restore feature to a fresh installed image when i get my tinkering done,if the log file will be of any help i can restore back and reinstall comodo to get the .dmp file for ya and then post it.ill restore tomorrow after work and get it posted…
As far as firewalls go in windows xp x64 there arent very many of them that allow total user control over what apps connect to the internet(im sure there are some of us out there that dont want certain apps to connect to the internet!!),and outpost is the one with the best features and controls until i can get my comodo back in and working right…This outpost firewall im using is a result of several weeks of testing various firewalls and coming to the realization that comodo wasnt gonna work right now,so it is a temporary thing for me.
Symantec Endpoint Protection provided good protection but the firewall doesnt work right in x64 windows xp,and i couldnt connect thru the wireless until i disabled the firewall.For some reason they built the software for administrators systems and it doesnt have CLIENT protection and configurability any more…
I did use the ghost firewall for a minute and took it out when i couldnt figure individual program access.
Zone alarm is 1 that i didnt test this time around,i did some beta testing on it some yrs back and didnt like it so i havent put it back in.
This outpost is okay for now,give it a fair shake b4 you guys condemn it altogether,at least it works with everything and has some good features…It is good for a TEMPORARY fix till we get comodo working even if i cant update it.
Kaspersky wasnt too bad,nod32 was good but you have to pay a yearly price,and symantec client security doesnt support x64 systems…
You shouldnt go out and buy a firewall right now or pay for a subscription to 1.Im sure Comodo will be fixed very soon to work with our hardware.I know the people at comodo are working on it and i am tinkering with it at home and doing a lot of reading.Hopefully it will help when i get my logfile to them and they will know where we need to start working to get it fixed.

i hope, because i dont think anythign compares to comodo

I have copied my post and posted my .dmp file here:https://forums.comodo.com/bug_reports/system_crashes_when_connecting_wireless_adaptor_with_comodo_3_final-t17809.0.html;msg121575#msg121575
I installed comodo after restoring to a fresh install image,i made a copy of my .dmp file when i got the bluescreen after installing comodo,and i made a new copy of my .dmp file after install when i started my wireless adaptor,then i disabled comodo and started my wireless and when it connected i started my comodo again and made a copy of my .dmp file after that bluescreen.
I have 3 copies of my .dmp for ya each copy was made after a bluescreen that i got from doing this install and initialization in different manners.Hope it helps with the troubleshooting.

Thanks for that rloyed. I’m just another user of this stuff and code level stuff is just Martian to me.

Hi.
Due to fact, that I have a new notebook (Lenovo 3000 n100) with Windows Vista Home Premium, I have decided to try latest Comodo Firewall as my Internet security software. Then I have installed the latest version of Avast Home Edition.
The problem is, that after reboot I got a BSOD with something like:
IRQ_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL and some other information(it is missing anyway because of automatic restart of hardware, so I don’t know much more about it).

This problem with BSOD can be avoided when Defense+ will be disabled at all, but in fact it is a feature I would like to keep active all the time.

Are you going to release some patch for this strange behaviour?

I’m affraid that such big incompability between Comodo and Avast is not the only one and even if I uninstall the Avast, similar problems will occur anyway, due to some other incompabilities with some other software.

If you browse the forum, you will see that CFP3 is not incompatible with Avast! under VIsta-there are a great many Avast! users running CFP3 under Vista with no problems, including me, so we need to find out what in your configuration is not compatible. As far as the BSOD, right click on my computer, select properties/advanced system settings/startup and recovery and uncheck “automatically restart” so you can see the error message and tell us what it says-is it Avast! or CFP crashing?. Then check your firewall log and D+ log for messages generated by Comodo. Are you using any other security software? Are you using a fingerprint reader for security-I have seen it called out for interference problems elsewhere on Lenovos. Do you get the same BSOD if you just boot again? What modes are you running the firewall and D+ in?

Ok, so there is some more information about the issue.

1. I don’t have any other security software except Comodo Firewall and Avast Antivirus. Both pdated to latest available versions. I have also downloaded all available fixes for my Vista from Microsoft web page.
    I didn’t install Service Pack for Vista RC1.
    The standard Windows Firewall is turned off. Windows Defender is on.

2. In fact I have installed some software for fingerprints reading, it is OmniPass, version 5.00.12, build number A86020218.

3. The other software you might be interested in is a Lenovo support for the notebook - named Lenovo Care. In fact the most important part of it are Rescue and Recovery, version 4.10.0315.0 and Acces Connections, version 4.42 for Windows Vista, build 7RCN38WW.

4. Defense+ has been set to “Clean PC Mode” every time I tried to run it.

5. Message of the BSOD (except the information about seeing screen first time, running windows in
    safe mode etc.) It is the same message all the time.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000016, 0x0000001B, 0x00000000, 0x81C281C6)

1. Firewall (from Comodo) settings does not matter in this issue - the problem occurs with firewall enabled or disabled. I have tried to modify Defense+ settings and the only case I can start up my system is to turn off Defense+ at all (Defense+ Security Level set to Disabled).

Would you like my minidump files? I save few of them, so I can share it if you’d like.

For further information in your BSOD, we would appreciate you going to https://forums.comodo.com/bug_reports/bsods_please_add_your_minidump_files_here-t14909.0.html and sending your latest minidump file and information so the developers can take a look at it and see what is happening. If I understand correctly, you already have CFP3 installed and working, and when you try to install Avast!, that works fine too, no error messages, but when you boot to complete the Avast! installation get a repeatable BSOD even with multiple reboots? And in item 6, when/how do you disable D+? Before installing Avast!, before rebooting, or ?

Well, the whole procedure was as follows:

1. I have installed Comodo Firewall. Then made some configuration. Then reboot.
  2. With running Comodo I have installed Avast Home. Then reboot.
  3. After reboot the system crashes.
  4. I have run safe mode, and disable Defense+ in Comodo. Then reboot.
  5. System has started, Comodo Firewall seems to be working, as the Avast Antivirus.

Every time I try to increase Defense+ settings, the system hungs with BSOD. Every time I disable Defense+, system with all other stuff is working fine.

I will put my dump files in thread you linked me to.

I did a search, but couldn’t find any threads relating to my query.

I don’t like using just the built in Windows firewall, I like something that’ll allow me to manage what’s coming in and out of my system. I used to use Sygate Firewall, but it won’t work in Vista. I’d also like to try something new.

That’s where the Comodo firewall comes in. I’ve heard nothing but great reviews of it, and since it’s free, why not try?

I downloaded the latest V3 from downloads.com and was eagerly waiting to install it. When I started, I got the usual Vista questions, clicked yes and it started to install.

Everything went OK until about halfway through the “Installing Firewal Kernal” part. It stands still for a few moments, and then I get a blue screen of death saying something about a “dumping memory” and “kernal dll” something. (Sorry for the vague description, it happens rather quickly.)

The computer then restarts itself, and when I get to the Vista login screen, it happens again!

I had to revert to my last good configuration.

I’m running Vista Ultimate, all vista security features are turned off except for the built in firewall. I’m also running AVG Antivirus and Lavasoft Ad-Aware, however Ad-Aware isn’t running.

I have had Zone Alarm on, but deleted it a couple of days ago. (Didn’t like it at all!) Maybe that has something to do with it?

My Vista installation is about three days old.

Any help getting Comodo up and running would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Taelus

I’m having a similar issue, but enough about me…
When you say “deleted” ZA do you mean uninstall?

Yep, did a standard uninstall.

I’d really appreicate some help here. I feel as though I want to unplug my wifi adapter and ■■■■■ using the internet until I get some sort of firewall in place. :frowning:

Currently, my router has it’s firewall on and the windows firewall is also on. But it’s not the same as having a little firewall program that I can click on and configure in and out going transmissions.

So, like I said, any help would be greatly appreciated! (L)

First, right click on “my computer”, select properties/system protection/advanced/startup and recovery/settings and uncheck “automatically restart”. This will allow you to see what the BSOD message is. You can submit your BSOD dump to the developers to evaluate by following the procedure at https://forums.comodo.com/bug_reports/bsods_please_add_your_minidump_files_here-t14909.0.html . Check your download version and make sure that it is 3.0.15.277 and is the full install, not a patch. Take a look at https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/comprehensive_instructions_for_completely_removing_comodo_firewall_pro_3_info-t17220.0.html and be sure you have removed any remnants of the failed install. Then try again. For installation problems like this, I usually recommend you go to MS configuration and temporarily turn off all of the startup programs, then do a boot and a clean install. Then, assuming it all works, you can turn them back on again after the installation reboot and boot again. Taking an image of your system with the Vista backup before you do all this might be a safe thing to do also. Have not heard previously of installations stopping in the middle, but have seen some loading related problems.

Thank you very much for the reply Sded.

Will do it first thing tomorrow when I get home from work.

Taelus.