Update to 3.13.125300.577

I have 2 PC’s and a laptop and got messages on all of them today about an update which failed to install.

This isn’t some chess program where updating will give me few new features and solve some bugs I don’t have.

This is darn security software. If you have to wait a few days to ensure an update is safe before updating your anti-virus or anti-spyware program, or ANY other piece of security software, it is pretty much USELESS. Sorry Comodo but this is unacceptable. I got a few good months from you guys but I’m going back to Avira and Zonealarm.

Perhaps learn how to use Sandboxie, and ditch the rest.

Pretty much USELESS because you might have to wait a few days? Don’t forget to take your pills.

Tell me, how many program updates are there on a yearly basis?

I wounder what .577 was suppose to fix?

I still like the firewall part but the AV has slowly worn out users’ trust in Comodo.

What bothers me almost as much is that there is no official statement as to what the problem is or even to just acknowledge it The longer you go without saying anything the worse it becomes, just ask Tiger Woods!

I think this release was supposed to fix this issue, its possible it was/is supposed to fix some other issues as well… I guess we know for sure once they releases it… :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT:: NM.

What price “Creating Trust Online” now
Clearly Comodo AV can’t be trusted.
I moved to Avira Premium a few weeks ago,thank goodness…
Never mind.It is the season of goodwill
Happy Christmas everybody

I’m now moving to MSE.
Merry Christmas to everybody too

These releases are usually meant to fix several urgent problems.

Everybody is anxiously curious to know what the update was about and why it was withdrawn. May be it will be told with the new release.

Merry Xmas everybody from the Central European Timezone.

3.13.125300.577 still available at Softpedia. ???

Ralph

Softpedia actually redirects to one of Comodo’s mirrors, on which the standalone build is still available. I’ve just tested it briefly on Win XP SP3 installed on VirtualBox. I had no problems with installing it, rebooting VM or scanning files with CAV, but I wouldn’t dare to install it on my real system just yet. It’s weird that there has been no word whatsoever about this release from anyone from Comodo though.

I am amongst the users who love CIS but are disappointed at the upgrade / update process. So I am using the firewall and D+ but I have switched to Avast for the AV side of things. I hope that CIS 4 upgrade / update will prove more reliable.

Well yesterday I uninstalled CIS with the intention of trying the combination of PC Tools Firewall and MSE. I was unable to install MSE because it kept saying my XP wasn’t genuine. When I followed the link to validate it, it said it was fine but MSE still said it wasn’t. Therefore , I tried the combination of PC Tools and Avast. I noticed much more system slowdown from Avast and PCTools was just as hard to set up to get games and Utorrent to work right. Utorrent was harder since I had to manually allow the forwarded port in PC Tools, which I don’t have to do with Comodo. Avast scans a lot of things it really doesn’t need to and that slows you down. It has no stateful mode like CAV either. I also noticed more lag when playing World of Warcraft even though both Avast and PC Tools say they have full screen detection which I had turned on. The first attempt at getting into WoW resulted in a hard lockup of the machine and the need to hold down the power button to restart.

The bottom line is that after about two hours , I uninstalled both of the new programs, cleaned out everything that was left behind and reinstalled CIS. It has it’s quirks as well, but I have learned how to work around them and it does not impact my system in any noticeable way other than the bootup time which is to be expected. I believe it is the best security solution you can get at this time and I’m waiting now to see what v4 is like.

I missed the .577 update just like I missed the AV update a while back thet ■■■■■■■ things up. Just lucky I guess. ;D

Just wanting to say that I’ve tried them all. Comodo Firewall works best for me. Not only is it free, but it runs amazingly light - I don’t care how much RAM it uses (it uses very little anyway) but it causes no perceptual slow-down of ANYTHING, period. Remember that what we actually perceive is most important. Amazing stuff from Comodo. I hope version 4 continues to be as light and effective.

Season’s Greetings!

I am not using Comodo’s AV and most likely never will…( the reasons can be found I other threads… that is not very important, though), but here are few comments if I may…

First, please do not take it to close to your heart – the intent is neither to discourage using CAV and to abandoned it , nor to give you any advice to stick to it because it is the best. No!

I do understand that many are disappointed by the recent “update-event”.

At the same time why would anybody so easily make a decision to switch?

What is the point? If one used CAV and there were so many excitement around – it is hard to understand that the mistake (simple, or not so simple) … or whatever happened with the recent update caused such drastic reaction by many ???

The point:

It really doesn’t matter what AV solution you are using currently.

Sure, that should be, according to major Tests and public opinion one of the top 4-5 (I don’t want the discussion about the relevance of those tests and AMTSO here – that’s dangerous :slight_smile: kidding, but True… God forbid, please don’t start)

What about the mistakes made over and over by other security solutions, which have more severe impact than the quick withdrawal of the alleged update?

Those mistakes include many known vendors and mistakes made by users themselves in the 1st place.

Was the fast withdrawal really worse than the systems being crippled by False Positives many times over the years by many security vendors?

Avira? … well that is actually brilliant AV. But what about

• its periodical updates failure?
  • modules being unsigned?
    it’s periodical silent crashes of the Guard (I personally requested that and the problem is still present for some OSes (2000 and XP; that was not notices though running win 7 x64 yet for 2 weeks of use)

A-squared? – the best detection rate for several years… but it has a problem with big Ikarus file update since introduction of the second engine. That is currently improved and most likely will be changed because of cooperation of two companies;

Avast? Please look at the recent horrible failure due to FPs and removal of the Software running on users computers.

Sure the later is a 99.999% users’ fault, since many are still using “auto-” quarantine/delete/healing … (how dumb is that?) but anyway…

And the decisions to move to MSE …hmmm… good luck to those users, who will do that.
As far I know, MSE with it’s not up-to-shape yet detection rate and the default heuristics will consider any high risk detection (by their opinion) as the one that must be quarantined or deleted - there is no option to set it just for notifying – which is the only safe option that one should use.
That’s my own opinion for ages and tat never failed yet, but you have all right not to listen & concur with that.

So why is there such a rush towards changing the vendor?

None of the top ranked AVs will save you from zero-days&hours ever.
All of them have their bugs and glitches and that will never end

Why would one using CAV would switch so easily and “punish”, so to speak, Comodo developers for this mistake?

Believe me - you will face the similar or rather much dramatic bugs with other security … just wait.

Finally, for those who decided to change the Firewall as well “because of” … - that is a definite mistake. Sorry, for being so blunt…
The AV …well… I don’t care much about any … but the Firewall ???

Cheers!

I have been using several free AVs in the past, including that of Comodo.

At least, one thing I noticed, there are just very few AV companies that can truly admit their mistake. Sad to say…

Comodo is NOT ONE OF THEM.

I know an AV company that owned the mistake immediately after their updates flopped BIG TIME. It didn’t take them days. Just hours.

In a world of trust, where we place this on our AV, the company’s behavior in some situations, can cause people to lose that trust. I am glad, I didn’t stay long with CAV.

Maybe they are off for Christmas. Everyone needs a break occasionally.

Hi Mikos,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not one of those people, who will scream out laud that some users made just a few (or only one) posts but staring with “strong critical” remarks.

At the same time, what you just said is not true and, rather wrong… no matter what.

Thanks.

Do you really think we switch the AV just because of this SINGLE mistake? ??? The decision is made because of cummulative faults in the past months.

I use and trial CAV for months before making the decision. I just feel you made your comments on the other AV so easily without using any of them for period.