Summary: System Status - COMODO Application Agent is not running!

I get this message with with a big RED X and the advice to run the diagnostics utility to “fix the problem”. When I run it, no problems are identified.

I can’t find anything about this component in the Help file.

Any suggestions?
Running Comodo 3.0.13.268
Windows XP SP2 all updates.

Regards … Alec

You may have had another security program interfere with the installation of CFP. Try uninstalling CFP, shutting down any other security software and then rebooting. Then install CFP again before restarting your other security programs. If that fails, let us know what security software you are running, the version of CFP you are using and whether you are using any Startup manager or tray manager software. I seem to recall another problem like this that had no resolution despite our best efforts. You may want to try installing the bug fix version - see:
https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/please_tell_us_if_v3_didnt_work_for_you_here_you_can_get_a_test_version_look_at_the_poll-t16546.0.html
for the way to get it.

You may have had another security program interfere with the installation of CFP
Thanks ... I uninstalled, rebooted using MSCONFIG so nothing else was started, reinstalled and (after reboot again) everything is normal, no error indications in control panel for COMODO.

I spoke too soon … I noticed today when I opened the Comodo Summary window that I am again getting the COMODO Application Agent is not running! error indication.

AFAICT everything is working correctly though.
Question - what IS the “Application Agent” and do I need it?

Cfp.exe is the interface application that you were looking at. Cmdagent.exe is also necessary for the operation of the program. Just to check, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and open the Processes tab. Check to see if cmdagent.exe is on the running processes tab. If not, what other security software are you using? Something may be interfering with cmdagent.exe. You could try the latest release:
https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsannouncementsnews/comodo_firewall_pro_3014276_has_been_released-t17010.0.html
to see if that helps the problem.

Cfp.exe is the interface application that you were looking at. Cmdagent.exe is also necessary for the operation of the program.
Just to check, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and open the Processes tab. Check to see if cmdagent.exe is on the running processes tab.
It is not.
If not, what other security software are you using?

'm running AVG (free) but I have Resident Shield turned off

I’m also running two programs that I see in the Defense+ Logs accessing memory of cfp.exe:

• WinLogAssist (logs total time spent in each program)
    Process Lasso (GUI)+Process Supervisor: this application reduces priority of programs “Consuming too many CPU cycles” and then restores them to original priority.
    I added cfp.exe and cmdagent.exe to its exclusion list

What other programs fall into: “security software”?

Something may be interfering with cmdagent.exe. You could try the latest release
I got that - used the patch version per notes I saw about needing to do so.

After reboot (once CFP reported it had finished initializing) I got the message about “Application Agent” not running.

Again tried the Diagnostics: This time it said it found a problem and resolved it - reboot MAY (?) be necessary. I rebooted anyway, again got the Application Agent not running - this time Diagnostics reports no problem.

Anything else I can try to resolve this?

Latest version was not a patch, in spite of some comments by those who have not (yet) experienced problems. It is a complete program replacement, including new settings. Have seen reports of various problems solved by simply reverting to a clean install-guessing there are some settings incompatibilities; at least there are significant changes to the settable data.

sigh …
I ran Comodo CFP_Setup_3.0.14.276_XP_Vista_x32.exe twice.
First time to uninstall the patched Comodo 3.0.13.268, second time to install it.

Same story … cmdagent.exe is not running.

From your first reply:

If that fails, let us know what security software you are running, the version of CFP you are using and whether you are using any Startup manager or tray manager software.
I'm running both StartupCopPro (PCMag) and WinPatrol. Neither of them is preventing "Comodo\cfp.exe" -s from running.

I just realized that cmdagent.exe is a service. Its status is AUTOMATIC but Stopped.
I tried to start it from Control Panel/Services and got this error:

Services

Could not start the COMODO Firewall Pro Helper Service service on Local Computer.
Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no .

See above re “disabled” - Its AUTOMATIC,but I don’t know what “enabled devices” it should have “associated with it”?

FWIW: I don’t see anything in Event Viewer that appears related to Comodo.

I seem to recall another problem like this that had no resolution despite our best efforts. You may want to try installing the bug fix version - see: https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/please_tell_us_if_v3_didnt_work_for_you_here_you_can_get_a_test_version_look_at_the_poll-t16546.0.html for the way to get it.

I assume the “test version” referred to there is superseded by Comodo 3.0.14.276?

How close are we getting to: “no resolution despite our best efforts”

Question: what functionality is COMODO providing/missing with cmdagent.exe not running?

Edit fix: full error msg above s/b:
Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

There are two possibilities. First, Startupcop or Winpatrol may be preventing cmdagent from being installed properly. You can test that by uninstalling CFP (Again!) and turning off Startupcop and Winpatrol (reboot may be necessary?) and then re-installing CFP. The other possibility is that you may have turned off some System services that are needed for CFP to run. I am not sure what the list of services needed to run CFP includes and we’re still waiting for info about that, but perhaps you recall setting some services to Stopped? I don’t really think that this is the problem, or you would be seeing other problems, but I don’t know what turning off services might or might not do.

I have exactly the same problem. I have installed CFP the newest version like 3 times, and every time, the same problem.

(I have vista 32, cfp, and kaspersky antivirus 7.0, xpl linkscanner pro… )

I tried turning ALL services ON and then disabling those not required per http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm and then attempting to compare to those in use on my laptop. I was never able to get it to work on my desktop. When I found that the Comodo installed on the laptop was blocking LAN access from my desktop I just uninstalled it from both machines and went back to trusting the blocking capabilities of my Linksys router and Windows Firewalls. (If some “bad guy” program manages to sneak on to my system and phone home I guess I’ll never know about it :'()

Another One: did you get anywhere on figuring out what might be preventing the agent service from starting and/or what services it requires? FWIW nothing showed up when I checked its dependencies in Services-Properties??

Still no definitive list of services that need to be running to support CFP (last post there on Dec.12). There is a newer version currently available - 3.0.15.277. It is available on the Downloads page:

If you have this trouble again, try the procedure found here for starting the cmdagent.exe service:

Have you run a virus scan? It occurs to me that a virus might want to prevent cmdagent.exe from running. It would have to be a pretty new virus to target cmdagent though.

Hi,
I’ve got the same problem. When I’m running comodo 3.0.21.329 without any other security program on winxp sp2 32bit, everything goes perfect.
The problem starts after installing Nod32 antivirus (3.0.630.0 and 3.0.645.0 too) and reboot.
If I uninstall Nod32 and reboot, comodo works fine again.
To make this a little bit more complicate, I have to say that I’m using comodo 3.0.21.329 + Nod32 antivirus 3.0.630.0 in my laptop with vista home premium 32bit without any problem.
Any suggestion?
Thanks,

A couple of questions - did you have NOD32 installed before installing CFP? Did you have NOD32/CFP turned off when installing the other one? The installations might have problems if you did not have the other security program turned off first.

If you are happy that the installations are good, then perhaps try putting CFP on the NOD32 exclusion list. NOD32 may have a conflict with the CFP processes since CFP processes are protected. The attempt by NOD32 to scan CFP processes in memory might lock up one or both of them.

Those are my first guesses…

I used v 3.0.13.268 and I had that application agent not working would act up almost every day (it just started for the first time a few days ago). So I downloaded v 3.0.21.329 and so far (it’s been two days) no issues. :BNC

I’d first installed Comodo and it worked fine before the installation of Nod32.
I didn’t turn off CFP when installing Nod32, so if this can be the source of the problem,
I’ll try to install it again turning off CFP.
I’ll tell the forum the result of this manipulation.

It’s been about three days and it’s acting up again.

Works fine now… (:CLP)
I have to disconnect the firewall when installing an other security application like nod32.
That’s all.
Thanks for the help.
Hope this will serve to other CFP users.

I got the same problem and I fix it following the steps bellow:

1. Run services.msc
  2. Right click on “COMODO Firewall Pro Helper Service” and choose properties
  3. Select “logon” tab and enable the service for the hardware profile
  4. Select the general tab and start the service
  5. Go to directory “C:\program files\COMODO\Firewall” and run cmdagent.exe
  6. Close CFP on tray and start it again

After a month struggling with this problem, I found this forum and followed jrdorock’s 6-step cure. Someone please promote jrdorock from “newbie” to “expert.” At the risk of speaking too soon (many in this thread report relapses after cures), jrdorock solved in 30 seconds what I could not in 30 days.

Thanks jrdorock.