SoftPedia -> Adware in CIS ?! [merged threads]

See the license / price line. It says “Adware / FREE”. I’m not sure where they’ve seen adware.
Except by the fact that it offers Pro version during first CIS start. But thats not adware by definition, just an harmless offer.

Good pick up! Thanks. I’ll see that someone contacts them, but they may very well define adware as the one-time promo for CIS Pro.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

I’ve seen that too. Softpedia rating standards are very wierd. CIS is rated as adware(as you mentioned because offers pro version during install), but Avira Antivir free is not!I aks why? everyone using their program has to look at ad popups during update every single day!

Reasons why this program is marked as adware:

· The software is trying to install COMODO SafeSurf Toolbar, is trying to change your default homepage and search engine. However you can uncheck this at installation.

Do they have bloatware warning as well? ;D

I’m not referring to CIS now, and sorry for the !ot!

My two pence worth…

I think C.SafeSearch installer should be removed from CIS installer as CIS now has built in B.O. Protection and C SafeSearch not needed as part of CIS installation. Perhaps have it as a standalone product or part of another installer.

E

Comodo is trying to generate a bit of revenue through users using searchers through ASK.
Although I don’t like it… It’s perfectly understandable why comodo does it. SafeSearch Toolbar with BO is not needed (Does that component still provide the useless BO protection? it’s already a completed component in CIS) The normal toolbar is okay though is users OPT for it… not needed with new CIS though.

I think it’s obvious that users don’t want a toolbar, So there is no point taking a vote against it :stuck_out_tongue: lol. Surely we can all put our heads together and figure out another way?!

I don’t understand why it’s put as adware. It’s optional whatever you want to install it or not. I would only define it as adware if it wasn’t possible to uncheck it during uninstall.

It’s quite simple to understand the reason why it’s license is tagged adware.

Upon installation, it is asked to the user he/she if wishes to install COMODO SafeSurf, which provides protection while surfing - At first, I thought it was something like WOT, Finjan, LinkScanner… But, I was wrong. -, and if users decide to install it, then will also, automatically (opt-in), install Ask.com toolbar. Something not needing for COMODO SafeSurf to protect it’s users, which I later found it is related to buffer overflow protection.

But, then again, such protection is already offered by shell code injection protection, part of Defense+. So, why is SafeSurf still bundled with COMODO’s suite?

And, Ask.com is not optional. It’s installation is forced, if users decide to install COMODO SafeSurf. Later on, for what I could find out, it’s possible to uninstall Ask.com toolbar. But, not everyone is that techy.

And, why force people to install an additional security module, which brings no additional security, for the sake of Ask.com? I say force, because, upon installation it is said that it will protect users while they surf, so, why wouldn’t they want such protection, right?

While I agree that the ASK bar is no longer required, there may be contractual reason why it is still included.

Dunno for certain - just hypothesising.

This is how Softpedia defines Adware software:

Adware is generally defined as software that includes third-party components unrelated to the program's functionality but intended to somehow generate income. Hence, it is often referred to as ad-supported software.

Most adware products notify the user about these components during the installation process and offer the option of skipping their installation. There are cases, however, when the adware components are hidden or advertised but not optional (enforced). The standard Softpedia policy is to avoid adding such software to the listing at all or to remove already existing such programs.

A software product is deemed as adware if it falls into at least one of the following categories:

(1) Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime
(2) Attempts to change the homepage for web browsers installed on the system
(3) Attempts to change the default search engine for web browsers installed on the system
(4) Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function
(5) At program startup/shutdown , opens web pages featuring advertising or similar income generating content
(6) Creates desktop or start menu shortcuts for items unrelated to the program’s functionality

Adware programs are clearly marked by Softpedia with the “License: Adware” label. Additional information is often provided about the program’s behavior or the included adware components. Furthermore, adware products do not qualify for the Softpedia “100% Free” or “100% Clean” awards.

So yeah, it must be the search bar.

Wonder how Avira Free sidestepped point (1)??

Not finger pointing - just asking a serious question.

I see no reason why Ask toolbar should be problematic. Ask.com is a legit company, toolbar is completelly optional (i’ve never installed it). Also, what gives with all the programs that bundle Google Toolbar?
Why aren’t those treated as adware supported programs?

Buffer overflow is not useless.

“Does that component provide redundant BO protection, as BO protection is now available as an option within CIS” may be a better way to word it.

I personally don’t like the toolbar, but can also see the reason behind it - a revenue raiser for Comodo. Maybe it remains in CIS because of contractual arrangements between Comodo and Ask.

As I said previously, I don’t know this for fact, just thinking out loud.

Cheers,

Yes.

Because of ASK TOOLBAR.
But CIS’s ask bar is better than NERO’s one.
;D ;D ;D
Some of AV tools catch ASK TOOLBAR in the NERO.
Yes it’s an adware.(some people say it’s a spyware)
Our search Words and Results go to their server.
They are gathering those Words, Results, other things.
It makes your system unstable including IE.
It has been targeted for vulnerability attacking.
(ex. Buffer Overflow attack)
Buffer Overflow attack is very dangerous, why?
The hackers can hook your memory.
What happens then?
Thanks.
The hackers take your ID/PASS or every loaded information on your memory.

Everything~~~~~~

Google (and possible all search engines) keep track on what you search for. It’s possible for any website to record what you do during your visit.

Do you have any proof that it makes your PC unstable?

All software, even your operating system is possible to exploit. Not a valid point.

This is most likely why CIS is flagged as malware:

(4) Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function

The funny thing with ‘(1) Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime’ is that they should flag every single web browser. By default, all browsers will display ad banners during their runtime. 88)

Well, they would classify those programs as adware too. If not then they have something again Ask.com.

I think the difference is that Avira is just trying to get you to buy the paid version of the software. At least that is the only advertisement I’ve seen. I think it’s a bit different trying to push your own wares as it is to push someone elses.

Comodo is by default trying to get you to install the ASK toolbar, which is adware as well as changes to your browser setup. I understand they likely get revenue from ASK and they are offering CIS for free, but seriously, it’s a bit hypocritical for a malware application to try want you to install adware on your system.

I personally feel these install options should be removed from the installer, but at the very least, make them opt-in instead of the current opt-out. In other words, the user would need to tell the installer they want to install these instead of the current method of having to tell the installer not to install these. The way it is currently configured, unless the user is paying attention during the installer, they may actually get more than they are expecting which is always viewed as a shady practice. It’s a well known phenomenon that a large percentage of computer users simply click ‘yes’ or ‘next’ without actually reading what they are agreeing to when installing.

Didn’t you know about that?
Possible?no… not possible.
It’s the truth.
All of searching results, IPs, times, are recorded for the purpose of Statistics.
All of portals record them.
Why?
There are 2 big reasons.

1. common statistics.
  2. to give the informations and statistics to sponsors for advertisement
    followed by IAB(Interactive Advertising Bureau).
    You may know ‘Overture’.(YAHOO’s)
    Sometimes it’s used for the crime investigations.(police, FBI etc)
Do you have any proof that it makes your PC unstable?

Lots of people install various toolbars by mistake.
Sometimes, toolbars mess up your browsers. As a result of that, it makes your PC down.
Have you ever experienced toolbar conflicts?
If you haven’t, use ASK TOOLBAR whatever.
What about 10 kinds of mixed toolbars?
Sounds great~ ;D

All software, even your operating system is possible to exploit. Not a valid point. This is most likely why CIS is flagged as malware:
lol Everybody knows it. You don't need to explain it. Ok, you can have more vulnerabilities if you don't care.
The funny thing with '(1) Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime' is that they should flag every single web browser. By default, all browsers will display ad banners during their runtime. 88)

Kidding me?
Don’t compare with web browsers. It doesn’t make sense.
Your logic is TOOLBAR=WEB BROWSER.
What kind of logic is that…
That’s totally unreasonable.
Toolbar is not the browser, it’s just one of the add-ons.
Don’t you know what is BHO?

You are killing me. ;D :-TU

agreed +1 :-TU