Say what you think! [COMODO to keep COMODO Memory Firewall and BOClean]

Hi schwartr,

You do have a good argument, however your argument is based on BOClean getting a lot of users to justify keeping it on its own, or Memory Firewall for that matter. Reality is, people get CIS and install both Firewall and AV. Our majority of users now have both according to our stats. Then its followed by people who just install Firewall and then AV. The number of users who just install BO or CMF are relatively small compared to CIS numbers. Hence the argument of it doesn’t justify spending valuable R&D resources to keep these seperate for not many people.

We want to offer Protection to our users, majority of our users rely on us for all their protection and they don’t want to be bothered figuring out what to choose, what to install etc. They just want us to protect them period. That is why we have to make sure we have CIS doing it for them at every level.

Thank you for your understanding and as always… we always listen to you and all our users.

Melih

Agree & Understandable. Considering these products are free, if they were paid for products then yes things are messed up. But the facts you mentioned are true, And so far, The poll agrees too.

I personally have no problem with what Comodo is doing, Let’s face it, As Melih said - Majority use CIS. It’s what’s best for the 15 million base of CIS.

Cheers,
Josh

Well, can COMODO, during the installation, offer the following:

1. Install AV (including BOClean and Defense+), or

2. Install FW (including Defense+), or

3. Install Memory Firewall, or

4. Install the bundled CIS

Memory Firewall independent of Defense+ will benefit a lot of users who won’t use Defense+!

Many have done as you have asked but yet you still feel the need to dispute and debate with them as if to try to change their mind. You’ve made your point and just as everyone else is entitled to their opinions you are entitled to yours. If you didn’t want opinions and simply wanted everyone to agree then why didn’t you say that instead?

Personally, I would think it would be nice if the products remained individual but I would not be upset or angry if they were only available, optionally installable, via a single installer.

Further - why not just keep using the last available update for each of those products you want to use? Is there specific new functionality in the components you want or specific bugs you’ve been experiencing that prevent you from doing so?

As others have pointed out, the overall download really isn’t that much larger. If you haven’t noticed the actuall installer code on many applications is actually larger than the installed application in many cases. This is particularly evident when applications offer a “portable” option as a zip file as well as a full-blown windows installer option. If you want two out of four applications, it may not be more efficient to download the two of them separately as compared to a single installer.

You’ve made your point, but you did ask for others’ opinions so why keep debating with them?

+1
Though I’m using CIS now, I’ll be glad to have options to select my favorite products from various vendors.

I use Comodo Firewall from ancient times. Even when D+ came followed by AV I still use only firewall.
But after reading a lot of post here in forums from latest version of CIS I decided to run all suite. That’s it, Firewall in Safe Mode, D+ in Clean PC and all options checked and AV. I guess that is was a good decision because I don’t have any annoying pop ups, no slowdowns, no problems with Vista64 SP1, no nothing. Smooth like silk.

I understand that’s a free product with an incredibly amount of work behind so I don’t comment on what should I want to install or not. For me it’s OK like it is now.

All I can say is a BIG Thank you Comodo team for bringing for free probably the best combo on the market for prevention, detection and cure a PC.

I voted NO because I see it like this.

The whole vision of Melih and Comodo is to secure the world for free. They are determined to provide us with the best available internet security and I am convinced that they are getting there fast.

To do that each component of CIS will be constantly developed to work best with all the other parts. To expect resources to be given to how these work with other products I believe to be unreasonable, why should Comodo have to support individual programs in the future just because various people like to choose their own mixture?

Most ordinary users just want the best security they can get in one easy package don’t they? They do not want to change each part of their security setup every time some testing site announces a new top scorer. All they want is for their computer to be safe and free from unwanted rubbish.

They do not want to be asked what to allow, because they do not know how to answer, which is why installing the whole of CIS with default settings now gives so few pop-ups. Installing seperate parts requires different defaults, so there will be more questions asked of the user who will not then realise how quiet CIS can be.

cough… I have to admit. I’m a bit sick and tired of this thread, but for some reason I can’t stop reading it for all the different views and perspectives. But seriously, Comodo is giving all of these resources for FREE!!! The product/products keep getting better and better every update. The idea of there being one security suite or a bunch of little bits and pieces to download is completly inconsequential. To be honest, we really don’t have anything to complain about at all. Either way as far as “rights” or “privileges” is also another moot point because you can download this product for FREE. Who really gives a rip about if it’s in a bundled package or a single program. All I can say is that for the majority of users (end users), they want to set and forget and trust that they are FULLY protected. I know that I (a fairly experienced user) hate having a pish-posh of programs running on my computer because every time another solitary program is added I’m wondering if it is going to conflict with something else. Comodo has not taken any “right” away from you with your security, it’s still there and fully at the tip of your finger tips. However if you do not like what they are offereing then you have the “right” not to choose it and choose another program or suite. Please stop all the whining and accept that this is the way it is going, but be thankful that it is still a fully operational and completly FREE security suite that seems to have more thought, care and consideration of both the programs within the suite and the customers that use the software, which is more then I can say about most companies out there. Turn off the water works, take a seat, turn on some Enya if you really need to chill (:TNG) and just be happy you are even offered any of this at all. I know I am.

Cheers! :■■■■

I don’t vote :-\

Personaly I want to choose freely from all security aplications available, Comodo or something else, paid or not, that doesn’t interest me. Since about a year now, after discussions with ( ex ) Mods here, I know Comodo mainly wants market share from Norton and McAfee because “thats where the beef is” he Melih. And that is defenately not the way I want to go, and was also a reason I kept off CIS and a Mod offer. But I was convinced BOClean would stay for the near future, so recently I thought about giving CIS a chance afterall. But now I think it is maybe better for me to look for alternatives. And why not, there is so much good security software out there. And I can always test CIS later when it is a full grown package, and see if it is an alternative for the Norton and McAfee users :wink:

Greetz, Red.

You said it all :-TU , I agree 100 %. Comodo is making a secure world for “ordinary users” for free , it is simple great . People who want to play with security tools hardly need these crazy combos anyway.
Comodo is just making the better for us and for theirselfs with this decision ( economic issues). :comodorocks:

Duskao, you’ve pretty well summed up the majority of what I gather most users 63% feel about Comodos stategy concerning CIS and I feel nothing more needs to be added to your post :-TU
Unless Moonblood feels slighted by Comodos generous offering of course. 88)
Xman 8)

So, are you admitting, that, after all, this all thing about security should be a right and not a privilege isn’t all peaches, uh?
So, only those using CIS will be having the privilege of such protection (BOClean and Memory Firewall)?

Was this what Melih meant to say, when he first thought of sharing his (once) great philosophy? That security would be a right, with COMODO, but only if in the future all users would be using their suite? Was this what he had in mind? It seems so.

Don’t get me wrong. COMODO is not obligated to do a dang thing. No one forces them for nothing. But, as I already mentioned, Melih trapped himself in his own philosophy.

Otherwise, let’s see. As you well said, there are plenty (millions) of users who make use of different antiviruses, firewalls and HIPS. But, who also made use of COMODO BOClean and COMODO Memory Firewall.

Now, according to Melih’s new vision, these users will only have the right to that security, by only making use of CIS.
So, basically, what Melih’s saying to those users of who do not use their firewall, antiviruses and HIPS, that they don’t have the right to that protection.

It won’t be just COMODO BOClean, but also the technology provided by COMODO Memory Firewall.

And, I’m not demanding anything. Again, Melih trapped himself in his own philosophy.
Perhaps, he should never started it. Or, should clearly have stated - Note, in near future, only those running our future to come COMODO Internet Security, will have the right to such protections. Not anyone else.

At one point, security was a global right, perhaps? Now, is it just for those that only run CIS? A restrict universe of users.

I guess Melih’s philosophy now will become - Security is a privilege and not a right.

This is nothing but a marketing move. And, if you want my opinion, the wrong one.

I really would like to see Melih to stand for this philosophy once again. I used to respect the man who had the vision that security should be a right and not a privilege. But, now, this right has become a privilege for those running CIS.

And, I’m a COMODO user. Now, I’ll be talking as a merely user and not as an IT professional.

I make use of COMODO Firewall PRO. I don’t make use of the antivirus. But, I also started to use COMODO BOClean, and like me, I guess many others also have it that way. Why? We make use of one other antivirus. Don’t we no longer have the right to use BOClean? Will it now be only a privilege if we just use COMODO Antivirus as well?
Won’t we no longer be able to use BOClean, just because we don’t want to use their antivirus? Is that the position COMODO is making?

What if all some users use is the firewall without Defense+? They won’t have the shellcode injection protection. They still are COMODO users. Don’t they have the right to still have that protection, regardless of not making use of Defense+?

I really would like to see those questions answered by who can answer them.

It’s with sadness I see COMODO choosing this path. I don’t just say it as an IT professional, but mainly as a long user of COMODO Firewall PRO.

Regards

P.S: And, if there is some inconvenience on keeping stand alone versions, then make the installation of each module individually possible. That’s not asking too much, is it?

Ditto Xman

“Duskao, you’ve pretty well summed up the majority of what I gather most users 63% feel about Comodos stategy concerning CIS and I feel nothing more needs to be added to your post Thumb Up”

I’ll never understand the moaning and groaning when there are so many options. If you don’t like what COMODO is offering (free), simply stop using it and move on. It’s that simple. Why waste everyone’s time in a senseless dialogue just to hear yourself talk. (unless that’s the objective),

regards Jim

That is exactly what I am thinking about, I am already looking for alternatives for myself and a lot of users I help :slight_smile: It doesn’t matter for me if it is Comodo or any other vendor. So please stop complaining that people have an opinion :-TD

Greetz, Red.

I agree with the O.P. I do think it is a little bit underhand to switch from having stand alone programs to having it all in a suite, as I am sure most people do NOT want a suite they would like to pick and choose what they want on their computer. After saying all that I do have CIS but I totally understand why people are upset about this issue but they again you pay your money (or not in this case) and you make your choice.

I think Supertramps song “Take the long way home” sums up the OP by Moonblood, CIS with its current install options is considerate IMHO as it is now and anybody who would rather go ‘sightseeing’ when it comes to having what will soon become the most powerful “Free” security offered to date should rethink what they are about to abandon. Note, that I truly believe that they will be back in time because no other security application currently existant will come knee high to what Comodo has graciously offered them. How many compagnies and CEOs of current security offerings do you know of that will actively involve themselves in their “users” concerns, expectancies and wishes…
None that I know of offhand. Enjoy the alternatives for what you’ll get and especially for what they are worth.
Regards to all and cheers :■■■■
Xman 8)

If there’s something I am not, is a ■■■■ fanboy.

No, I do not like what has happened to COMODO Firewall Pro. Ever since the first CIS came out, it came full of bugs. Some very annoying. One has been reported months ago, and not fixed yet.

What they did instead? More code into CIS, before solving the problems with the existing ones. The latest version, well, is just amazing in what comes to bugs. As soon as it comes out, crashes, slowdowns, etc.

Again, COMODO rushed things, in the sake of marketing. Well, it’s free and is cheaper to release a Release Candidade as Final Version.

I was a free user, so I can’t complain. But, those who use the paid service, perhaps, they deserve more consideration? After all, they’re paying for a very buggy security application.

Sometimes, even for just going to the active process list, the ■■■■ firewall crashes. Out of nowhere, stops responding.

My IT department stopped recommended COMODO Internet Security. The troubles are more than the gains. Within enterprise environment, what COMODO brought out, even for free, won’t cut it.

We moved towards one other direction. We’re very pleased with it. At home, I already removed CIS from one of my systems. The others will go that road as well.

CIS has never been nowhere near COMODO Firewall Pro, and I don’t see how it will ever be, with all this rushes, in the name of marketing.

I have reported a few major bugs, and one of them, after insisting a few times, I was told the issue wasn’t understood. Instead of asking for more details, as it would be expected, they ignore it. Great way of dealing with such problems.

As if this, in an IT professional view, wasn’t enough, many people who don’t know, will, for example, install, in this NEW version of CIS, still install COMODO SafeSurf, which comes bundled with Ask.com. Considering the way these folks work to get more users to use their toolbar, well… There’s an interesting interview to Edelman here http://blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/?p=858

And, before, when SafeSurf was useful, because no longer is, regarding shellcode injection protection is offered now by Defense+, people had to also install Ask.com toolbar, masked as being COMODO own’s toolbar. Some unknowledgable user would think it was great to have a COMODO toolbar to protect them, while it’s all BS, and all it’s happening is thay those users searches were being redirected to Ask.com.

Now, SafeSurf still comes bundled with CIS, and with SafeSurf, still comes bundled Ask.com toolbar, and again, masked as COMODO’s own.

Redundant protection, just for bundling Ask.com. Such addition to CIS will bring no additional use, no additional protection.

All because of a deal done with Ask.com. Funny is that, before this deal, COMODO BOClean used to flag it. I might be wrong. But, I strongly believe that I am right. Never happened again, since the deal was done. Interesting in it’s very least.

And, this deal, is in it’s least, quite surprising, regarding Melih said they would never charge users. It’s true, they don’t, but, make them install such dubious toolbar, by a dubious company

Now, COMODO starts to kill each individual security components. Those using BOClean, no longer will. Those using COMODO Memory Firewall, no longer will, as it’s useless to use a non-upgraded version and buggy one.

As a user, I don’t care if COMODO kills BOClean, if kills COMODO Memory Firewall (I never used it.). As an IT professional, I only see all this as a bad marketing.

Not even an option is given for such installations, at the moment only shellcode injection, to be an optional component, just like COMODO Antivirus, so that users could just pick that protection.

What would be the inconvenience of making such modules, available as optional, so that anyone could just install the module one wishes?

One installer is fine, as long it gives people the chance to choose the modules they want to use.

But, as I said somewhere, at least, I’m glad that other security vendors don’t do it and never will. They’re aware that it will kill business.

Bottom line, I always liked COMODO Firewall PRO. I never liked the approach COMODO took afterwards. The end result is what I see now, unfortunately.

I would rather see COMODO start making paid products, than see it turning to this.

I’ve exposed my vision…

I’m done with it…

Goodbye.

Hey Moonblood, I’m not a Fanboy, I’m just aware of what’s what, contrary to yourself I’m appeciative of the heartfelt efforts and purpose on the behalf of people who REALLY CARE!
Bye :■■■■
Xman

Why does this thread ask Comodo to bring back Memory Firewall, when it is still available?
http://www.memoryfirewall.comodo.com/download.html

I’ve personally never actually had to report any bugs or negative feedback regarding ANY Comodo product.

I know there have been bugs reported, but isn’t the same to say for any security product? Name me one major security product that has never had any reported bugs (:WIN)

As for Comodo releasing the product to early, again, isn’t the same to say for most other vendors?

Why do you think there are always bug fixing releases for pretty much EVERY software? Because they are released too early in the first place!

Thats the problem with modern business. It’s always a rush to get your product out first.
Personally I think Melih and the Comodo team do a fantastic job, and hope they continue as they’re doing.
(V)