Say what you think! [COMODO to keep COMODO Memory Firewall and BOClean]

This thread is discussing (not really anymore, its turning into a one-sided flame war) the fact that Comodo WILL be killing off CMF as standalone, as well as BOClean when its integrated into CIS.

Human trial and error has and will always be part of discovery and so it is and will be for better or worse till we all dissappear from the face of this planet, and this is a fact of life and progress generally, some people because they are hard to satisfy don’t always realize that time=change in nature and in all things that surround us, go figure ???
Your thoughts are my own JamesFrance :-TU
Xman :■■■■
(:KWL)

Xman :slight_smile:

It is fine that you like everything Comodo does, but could you have some respect for users who don’t because they care too ! I have recommended Comodo software to a lot of people, helped a lot of members here, and offered my help two times with the forum !

Besides if a CEO never gives me an answer on an explicite question if his employee is aware of the situation that the software he created will be discontinued, and I have to find out that that employee has to hear it from me, that gives me a very bad feeling.

Greetz, Red.

Who’s flaming who? You’re making people believe I don’t care about COMODO.
If I didn’t, do you know what I would say/do regards it? Nothing at all. Absolute silence and move forward. I’d wave COMODO goodbye.

All I said mentions no lies. I dare anyone to say that every line I wrote in this thread are lies!

I’m basing my position in true facts.

1st and most important fact! - Melih’s principle that security should be a right and not a privilege. This, unlike some say, is not only meant for free products, but also for paid ones. Let’s imagine that a X paid security product would now be bundled with something else, that most wouldn’t use. Then, it would only be a privilege to those who also were going to use such, as a bundle.

2nd fact - COMODO makes users install unecessary software, which will provide no security, and that it’s dubious in it’s very least.

I’d to know an estimative of how many users are, actually, using Ask.com along side SafeSurf, knowing they’re doing it so? (I guess it would be hard to know for sure. It would be merely speculation.)

3rd fact - COMODO is killing their stand alone security products, one by one, making those users who use them, not be able to use them anymore, unless they install their suite.
Not even an installer, containing all modules, offering separate installations, is provided. The only exception is the antivirus module, which they bundled with COMODO Firewall PRO, in the first place, because is no match for any other top notch antivirus. It will take them time to achieve such. It’s not clapping your fingers, and voilá. Not like that.

All I asked, and DIDN’T DEMAND, like some say, was for COMODO to reconsider, either to provide stand alone versions, or by just allowing users to choose what to install in the installation setup of CIS.

Regards

With all due respect, COMODO isn’t evolving.

It’s like dinosaurs, actually. Aparently, they evolved into birds, right? Guess what? They get eaten.

Perhaps, COMODO should reconsider their approach. It’s what I am asking and not demanding.

And, I’m basing my words in real facts, real situations. So, please, don’t say I don’t know what I am talking about, just because you only see COMODO in front of your eyes.

Moonblood I’ve got respect for you and Rednose and everybody else who has an inkling about what Comodo is trying so hard to accomplish I just wish that (being a sales person in industrial plastics) that people would make up their minds as to WHAT THEY NEED and NOT WHAT THEY WANT, eveybody I know of expects everything out of life, but they fail to understand somewhere that “It’s you can’t always get what want but if you try sometime you might find you get what you need” (The Rolling Stones) Life is this way and if you really care Mooonblood keep critizing to be heard cause your concerns are as important as anybodys elses here at Comodo, but above all do it with respect to whom it’s directed, you’ll get more respect in return and more than likely results, patience is a virtue afterall… :-TU
Cheers dude :■■■■
Xman 8)

Hey Moonblood. You said that no other company has bundled all of it’s software into one suite… Ummm. AVG comes to mind and they are still one of the top used security softwares out there.

As far as your “right” vs “privilege” thingy. You have the right to choose comodo for free or not. Thats really a moot point and just trying to flame an ideology, and with that a person just because you don’t necessarly agree with him.

Once again. The Ask bar (which I don’t agree with by the way) is another choice. You do not “have” to install it with the installation of CIS and as far as I know it has never been manditory to do so. I have used CIS since it first came out in beta and have never installed the Ask tool bar.

If you are unhappy with CIS… don’t use it and quite crying about the injustices of it all. Just because you see it one way does not mean that everyone must see it your way.

I don’t even want to get started on your “IT professional” and “marketing” talks because they really have nothing to do with each other and that is why every company has different departments for both IT and marketing. I would not listen to someone in marketing tell me about IT so why would I listen to someone from IT tell me about marketing. They are completly seperate and should not be treated as if they are. Sorry, I did get into it.

This thread should be closed. It is no longer a thread that is accomplishing anything other then creating animosity.

As far as I’ve seen, Melih has never been that specific in his statements that “security should be a right, not a privilege”. I also think he’s got a very good point here and it kind of explains it all:

I have no further comments, I understand and I accept Melih’s reasons. A fanboy would accept Comodo’s decisions regardless what the decision is, more or less. Me, however, I only accept what I can agree on… and this far I don’t disagree with anything. I’m supporting Comodo’s decisions because I think they make sense.

I believe you’re talking about AVG Anti-rootkit and AVG Antispyware. Personally, I was also against such.

But, like what is happening in COMODO, I can only give an opinion. Nothing more I can do.

But, what AVG isn’t also doing, is to put all in one suite, and kill all other security apps, free or paid.

The “right” vs “privilege” thing, is not my thing. Is Melih’s thing. Sorry.
And, based on that, I asked if no longer is the case. Seems not to be.

I’m not flaming an ideology. I merely asked, if the person who made that ideology, no longer stands by it.

Let’s clarify it. Only with the recent (first and seconds releases) release of v3.8, COMODO implemented the protection offered by COMODO Memory Firewall in COMODO Internet Security.
So, until now, anyone wishing to have the buffer overflow (shellcode injection) provided by SafeSurf, also had to install that Ask.com toolbar. Afterwards, it would be possible to uninstall it (and still is) and still keep COMODO SafeSurf. But, that the installation of Ask.com, while installing SafeSurf, is forced, it is. And, in no way, you or anyone else can deny it. It’s a fact. Not a lie.

So, if something is wrong with a security tool (in my case COMODO Firewall PRO) you’ve always used, instead of telling it straight forward, you’d rather not say it, and, doing it so, not help to achieve something better?

It’s your choice. Not the way I do things. If I see that something isn’t going in a right direction, I try to explain my view. That’s what I did and all I can do.

You’re absolutely right. Marketing departments should keep their noses out of the IT department. Only, after something great is achieved, then it’s their job to make one hell of a job to help that/those product(s) stand out, and not kill a great project.

If anyone else agrees with your vision, then, I’ll close it my self or even delete the entire thread.

[at] m00nbl00d

Who's flaming who? You're making people believe I don't care about COMODO.

Having re-read my post, I’ve concluded that it was too harsh, and somewhat of an exaggeration, and for that I apologise. I never intended to cause offense, and I’m sorry it turned out that way. :-[

I can’t see why no one else can see why it is wrong to do what will be done. The free vs paid products makes no difference because even if you paid for the firewall if the CEO decides to merge 2 or 3 produces into 1 there is still nothing that can be done about it anyway. If the CEO can do something like this I wonder what else he can do…paid software or getting rid of home users all together. After saying that I do understand why he is doing it but I still think it’s a bit creepy.

Moonblood, with all due respect, I understood your concern from the up start, but now you’ll have do do some serious soul searching as to where your priorties lie. Do you want to offer the best that’s currently available or don’t you? This friend is all it comes down to, cause you know deep down that you will be selling yourself short in the end and I feel your frustration concerning Comodos reasoning, but tell yourself somewhere that it is with purpose because they really do have our and their best interests in mind in the end. Tu comprends? Understood?
Xman :■■■■
(:KWL)

Well I think the thread should stay as it contains some fair arguments for both sides! Would be sad to see it gone…

Its up to comodo in the end… But if comodo is going the democratic way BOClean will be dropped since a majority (59.1%) has voted NO to keep it as standalone. Also Melih and the DEV team seems confident that this is the best way to do this. We have to respect that COMODO as others are limited by reality, MONEY, time and so on. If comodo feels that maintaining a separate BOClean would be too much of a hassle, I will support the decision to drop it.

We have to wait and see, hopefully both BOClean and CIS will benefit from this… :-TU

I think they will… I just hope this Kevin guy approves this too, as he must be a hell of a coder, being the original developer of this great product and all… :slight_smile:

Red. I don’t specifically like what Comodo is doing, I rather admire and above all respect what they are trying to acheive with CIS and that’s all I’ve got to say on the matter at hand
Xman

G’day,

No additional opinions, just clarifications of a few points that have been posted.

Fact:
The quoted reference to Edelman’s article was from 2.5 years ago and was prior to Ask admitting it did install their toolbar without user consent. Ask have subsequently changed their business practice and the Ask toolbar now requres conscious assent from the user before it is installed.

Fact:

So, until now, anyone wishing to have the buffer overflow (shellcode injection) provided by SafeSurf, also had to install that Ask.com toolbar.
While the above quote is true, it fails to point out that buffer overflow protection could be obtained without the use of the Ask Toolbar/SafeSurf combo. System-wide Buffer Overflow protection had been provided by Comodo Memory Firewall long before the creation of SafeSurf or the bundled Ask toolbar. CMF provdes buffer overflow protection for the same vulnerabilities as SafeSurf. SafeSurf did not provide additional protection to that provided by CMF.

Thanks to all posters, regardless of their leanings in this topic. It’s a lively and interesting (mostly) thread.

Advice to all current and future posters:

Please stick to the topic.
Please leave personalities out of it.
Please consider that the opinions of others are based on their preferences, their environment and their practices. We don’t have to agree, but we really should be civil to each other and acknowledge that others have an equal right to the contrary opinion.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Let me apologize for my words. I will make no excuses for what I have said because what’s said is said. I do however hope that nobody has taken any offence to any of my statements.

Duskao

NP.

My words of advice weren’t aimed at anyone in particular. More like everyone in particular. :wink:

Just to clarify that I didn’t say that buffer overflow protection wasn’t possible with COMODO Memory Firewall, and only with COMODO SafeSurf.
But, the truth is that, upon CIS installation, even with the current release, nowhere (unless I missed) is said that COMODO SafeSurf will protect the users from buffer overflows, amd moreover, that it will do the same as COMODO Memory Firewall. It only says that it protect users while they surf the web, and is ticked by default, the same way Ask.com toolbar is. Also, no single, clear, warning is given that a toolbar will also be installed. After installation, if a user is aware that, indeed, such toolbar got installed, then, if he/she knows can uninstall it. But, trusting COMODO, they will leave it, as in their minds must be there for additional protection while surfing. Also, and I was forgetting about it, it also sets a homepage, supposely belonging to COMODO. I never saw any mention to Ask.com. The Ask.com toolbar, itself, also gets masked as being COMODO’s own. Why not simply leave it to say Ask.com? So, practically, if the user has no idea about Ask.com toolbar being there, and trusting COMODO (Why shouldn’t they?), they will be using it, without knowing it. That’s a very simple and true fact.

Anyway, enough with this off-topic, but when I first started it, was to show that, in the way I see it, COMODO is going in an unwanted direction.

Regards

I was at a friends place, she had over 5 ‘toolbars’ installed on her system. She didnt care, heck she didnt even know what they did. And of course, she had zero security. People who’ll install the toolbar without knowing and trusting comodo dont give a cra*s ■■■ about toolbars.

And people who do (like you and me) dont install it off the bat… and dont have any toolbars etc. Dont get carried away protecting people who dont want protection.

And where is comodo heading? Look at the main forums page. some crazy amount of software in development. some of it really bad but others (like CIS) the best there is. i am all for security suites… but very well tested security suites. and by testing i mean tested in labs not by releasing it onto the people(3.8 was kinda like that-the masses are clamouring (for salvation) and her cometh the …). grin. that said, 3.8 is the best there is in the world right now.

Security suites are perfect. Makes life easier. Of course the fact remains that its one layer of security in its own right, whereas multiple programs are by definition multiple layers. So if the suite gets destroyed you are toast. move of comodo’s apps are very specific, the end user would benefit greatly from an assimilation which is in progress. way to go.

good topic. thought provoking.

Equally, multiple programs are multiple possible entry vectors, multiple possible vulnerabilities and multiple possible incompatibilities.

I’m not saying they, just that they might be.

As I see it, one of the main advantages to a suite (if that’s what they call it) is that it has a single unified acrhitecture, underpinning multiple layers designed to work together (this applies to other suites as well, not just Comodo). Sometimes, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. :wink:

good topic. thought provoking.
It sure is. This is one of the main reasons I like these forums - once you get past the emotions that inevitably pop their heads up from time to time, there's a lot of thinking behind most of the posts here.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile: