Problems with scanner in v3 [Merged Threads]

trying to do a scan with on demand scanner in latest cfp 3 and it stops here?

screenshot

[attachment deleted by admin]

This does not look like it has frozen - I had the same initial thought when I did a scan. It still says “Scanning” but when you look at the top it has actually finished.

:SMLR

[attachment deleted by admin]

your right i didnt even notice that.thanks appreciate it

Are you two sure you don’t have less than 1000 files or a 6 GHZ CPU? Maybe it was just blazing fast.

Never mind. Dumb question. Coincidentally, you two have the same # of files: 20507.

must just do a basic scan of the system(no archives) because when i scan with avast with standard scan no archives it scan count is 25,000

No surprise. Melih stated before the release it’ll only be a basic AV scanner. This is only the beginning…

As you can see the above image is a print screen of the firewall Comodo. I press “scan” and it’s been 10 minutes now that the window is ‘not responding’.

I am using Vista 32bit. I had no problems with Comodo in the past but when I always click scan for viruses it either freezes or it’s completely off the hook?

Could this be a Vista problem? My notebook is in a fresh state.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

It’s a problem with CPF and Vista. If you want to use the built-in antivirus scan, you need to temporarily shut down CPF (be sure you’re behind a router or disconnected from the Internet first!), then right-click on the CPF desktop icon and select ‘Run as Administrator’.

Okay thanks. Will do…

Hopefully Comodo will fix this issue for Vista in the next update.

Also when I installed the Comodo fresh and update it. I go to the MISC tab and click “about”; this is what I get:

Does this affect my updates? Because it says the license key is invalid.

Is this also a Vista issue with Comodo?

Hi

When I click on “Scan System” in Defense+ the link is “dead”. Nothing happens. I wouldn’t have shut this off knowingly, possibly I did so unknowingly. Is there anyway to turn this on?

Thanks,

Dave

What OS are you running in XP it has to be run in a adminstrator account will not work in a limited account.
Dennis

Hi

Thanks for that quick response! I am using Vista Home Premium. I only have one account set up that I know of and I believe it has full priveleges.

Dave

Hi

Very interesting. I shut down Comodo and then right-mouse-clicked and started it again as the “administrator.” The scan started immediately when I clicked the link. So your diagnosis what spot on! Is there any way that I can set the firewall to start in this mode when I boot the system?

Dave

You might still have to close CPF3 down right click on CPF3 link and select Run as Administrator for the Scan button to work problems with UAC.
Dennis
EDIT
I don’t think you can. You can stop UAC working and you return to the same protection as XP.
EDIT
I think if you right click on the comodo files in there folder and select properties in one of the tabs you can tick a box to run as administrator.
But this might cause a security risk?
A Moderator might be able to respond to this question above please.
Dennis

This appears to be one of a series of issues that CP3 has with UAC. There are a bunch of programs that don’t work right with UAC on, and I have turned it off permanently. The same protection as XP plus the additional protection of D+ is enough for me. But Comodo may still fix these issues in the future. ??? And marking CFP3 as “run as an administrator” under Vista causes it not to load completely for some people-like me. :wink:

Well Okay.

I am a bit lost at this point. What, pray tell, is UAC?

The other question that now comes up is, will I forfeit optimum protection by starting Comodo as the admin by right-clicking on that option as I did just now?

Thanks,

Dave

UAC = User Account Control
Dennis

Right, thanks.

Lots of things in security software need to be run as an administrator-ordinary users do not have the privileges to change many of the security settings. You have the usual Vista additonal administrator responsibilities because of having additional system control. Once you get CFP3 set up, you may be able to log off and log on again as an ordinary user, but will not be able to fully modify the CFP3 functions. But most of us just run as administrators without problems. :slight_smile:

Well, I only have the one account on my system and it has administrator privileges. I was, however, unable to start a scan until I specifically started the application as the administrator by right-clicking on that option.

The link opened the scan window, but didn’t go anywhere. No files were scanned. It looked like it was scanning, but after 10 minutes I shut it down as the number of files scanned was “0”.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave