Please feel free to ask any questions to learn all about Computer Security.

lots of good info.

When I install a program do I need to turn off CPF if I do then when uninstalling a program conversely do I need to turn CPF off.

Hi stillen.

Unless you’re installing another security program like HIPS or anti-virus that you trust in order to avoid potential conflicts, it is recommend that you leave CFP enabled because what if that program happened to perform suspicious activity like connect out and phone home? This applies to also during the uninstallation process if you can believe it! As I’ve personally seen them phone home as well :o

I’ve never turned off the firewall, and do not believe I have had any conflicts that way. I do, however, recommend turning off active AV (or at least the On-Access part of it), any active HIPS, or other active protection programs, as they will frequently cause conflicts while installing and uninstalling. It seems that even if they just cause a slight delay in the process due to you responding to a popup alert, that may be enough to cause trouble (which the result is not known/realized until later, when stuff just doesn’t work right…).

LM

Thanx Soya and LM for the info just wanted some clarification

(V)  stillen

I have a problem where Comodo asks me if I should allow WinWord to access the Internet, and it tells me that this or that trojan or whatever might result. If I click Deny, (and the security bar is mostly red) then I can’t access the internet with gmail.

I have written Comodo and they write back and ask for a print of a screen and exactly what it says. I do that, then I don’t hear back from them. Meanwhile I have to restart my computer, lose email messages that I write, because I may be pasting something from Word and/or attaching a .doc file, and then I am disconnected, although I am on wireless, from the Internet.

Parent applications can be gnotify, gmail or IE explore. If I always click allow am I inviting worms into my computer?

Sucer
Please reply

Hi sucer, welcome to the forum.

Without knowing what those alerts are, perhaps this thread would be beneficial:
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6908.0.html

A program can have many different parent programs (ones that start it). It depends on your needs to decide whether to allow/deny them. If you know what they are then it’s safe to allow, as a general advice.

The only thing I’ve noticed about comodo firewall that scares me is that there has been no attention paid towards advert blocking, a fact that most threats derive directly from website advertising campagnes.

After many years of placing an enormous amount of trust in norton firewall, have I come to realise that at least norton peronal firewall (For all it’s flaws) blocked advertising almost completely. Perhaps not a unique aspect to add to comodo’s firewall but a worthy investment in realtime protection.

Ad blocking is a little too far off from what a real firewall is responsible for. Anyway, for those interested here is a poll that includes such a plugin (no promises that any will be implemented in future versions): https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6216.0.html

Hello, just downloaded the firewall, as against the windows one, with some trepidation, as a self taught computer person. Seems good, as I allow programs to go out (which is unusual to me), but I seem to have a lot of trouble - slow - with downloads. Will this improve as I become used to the firewall?
Cheers,
Peter.

Now I can’t even get online. Is there a connection???
Thanks,
Peter.

Peter,

Check for a rule in the Application Monitor, showing a Block on svchost.exe

LM

Since I can ask anything about the firewall here, I have a question. I recently installed a battery back-up (UPS) for my computer, to protect it against power black-outs, so it’ll shut down when the AC power fails. It works via a software program, and the battery back-up unit is attached to a USB port so Windows will see it and accept it as hardware. Yesterday the AC power DID fail and my computer did shut down as expected. BUT----though the software program is supposed to work as follows: The program interrogates the battery to find out how much run time the battery will provide before it has to shut down the computer—The software program could not communicate with the battery unit for some reason, so the program shut down my computer immediately, which is what it is supposed to do when it cannot determine how much run time is left on the battery before it loses all its charge. My question is: Did the firewall block the software from commincating with the battery (which happens through the USB port)?

goofy60,

CFP doesn’t monitor USB ports. Unless your UPS is a “networked” device with an IP address… which I’m pretty sure it’s not. Mine works fine.

ONly thought is, IF the application uses the localhost loopback 127.x.x.x for internal communications, that would be blocked by the FW, even tho’ it’s internal (since it relates to an IP address). Check your log. Some blocked Outbound violation; either Application or Network.

If you find such an entry in the logs, post over the Firewall Help board, and we’ll walk you thru getting that working properly. I know we’re in the FW Help board now; so I mean for you to create a new post in Help, rather than in this topic (which is more for theoretical questions, rather than direct issues with the FW).

LM

Hey. (:WAV) (:SAD) I was wondering if there was a way to get CPF to block ads on the siteS I visit.

Sure. It’s called, “use Firefox in conjunction with CFP.” ;D Just kidding, really. At present, it is deemed that pop-up blocking is a browser job, rather than a FW job. That said, there is not a mechanism currently in CFP to block pop-ups or other ad types from websites. Browsers such as Firefox do offer than functionality though.

LM

Oh, well that’s a bummer. I’m using Opera and I don’t think there is any such functionality.

I beg to differ. In fact, it’s thanks to Opera that I’m able to block ads and unwanted sites: Ctrl + F12 opens Advanced Options > Advanced tab > Content > Blocked Content… This is where you can specify sites and even use the asterisk * wildcard. Also, by default, Opera is already set to block most unwanted pop-ups (Advanced Options > General tab > Pop-ups). I really can’t remember the last time I ever received unsolicited pop-ups (if ever because I also disabled the notification pop-ups being blocked, which is in the Advanced Options > Advanced tab > Notifications setting).

I know about that feature, and it works great for me too. But I want to block ads directly on a site, not individual pop-ups. I attached a screenshot of what I’m talking about.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I’m a Firefox user myself with the Adblock Plus extension but I also use Proxomitron (it is free). It is a local proxy that pretty powerful at ad blocking (plus) with a lot of filters supplied with it, plus you can create your own filters if your computer savvy enough.

Opera Browser Wiki/ The Proxomitron
The Proxomitron website

Opera can do that with its Block Mode option, but the problem is it’ll only block those specific files and sites. That’s why the Blocked Content option is better because it’s universal with wildcards. I customize all these convenient options through my right-click menu instead having to go through CTRL + 12 … Also, your 2 screenshots show ads by Google. If you right-click on the ads and check out its url, you’ll notice it’s pagead2.googlesyndication.com… (So to block all ads from this domain it’ll be something like googlesyndication.com) The fact that you did not realize it’s by google meant you haven’t fully utilized Opera’s ad blocking system yet. I can even provide you with my own list through PM - all you have to do is edit the url file in one of Opera’s directory to “import” it.