Please feel free to ask any questions to learn all about Computer Security.

nevermorestr

I'm a Firefox user myself with the Adblock Plus extension but I also use Proxomitron (it is free). It is a local proxy that pretty powerful at ad blocking (plus) with a lot of filters supplied with it, plus you can create your own filters if your computer savvy enough.

Just out of interest, why do you use Adblock and Proxomitron? Prox will do everything Adblock does and more…

Probably because Prox is harder to use.

I share my neighbors wi-fi connection with his permission and help pay the bill. No I am not doing it without him knowing. He deals with his Netgear router his settings and etc. I have not access to settings there and he leaves it unprotected without a password needed because we live in a secluded area. Now on the CPF logs I get medium and occasional high rated activity that I am having a hard time understanding.

I have deleted my wireless adapter several times about 9. Last prefix on just about all logged activity has changed from 192.168.0.1 to .2, .3, and up to 9 etc. the last number I am talking about. Most of my logged activity contains these numbers that were access denied

anyways I am just wondering how port scans, inbound outside IP addresses are not showing on my logs, only the 192.168.0.? series

thanks

If there are Internal IP addresses showing in the logs, it’s because the traffic is coming from within that wireless network. Does your neighbor have several computers, or other devices connected to his router as well?

LM

(L) On my old computer I was running XP Pro, I purchased a new computer and want to run Comodo Firewall Pro. Trouble is I have Vista Ultimate and it will not let me install Comodo, even when I go to compatability, run as XP Pro. I am very disappointed with vista, a lot of my software will not run on vista. So is there a version of Comodo for Vista?

Not yet. See this thread: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6927.msg50682.html#msg50682 - version 3 will have it.

LM

:THNK It seems Vista is making me Pay for new software versions, I can wait for the next version of Comodo Firewall, I guess this applys to the virus software from Comodo as well?

Yes. Same with CAVS. Not Vista ready yet. If you want to continue this topic, please post in this thread: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,8320.0.html

I have a home LAN with 2 PC’s. The Comodo firewall is blocking communication between the two PC’s. If I turn off the firewall, the two PC’s can see each other. How do I set the firewall to allow communication with the other PC?

You need to run the TRUSTED NETWORK wizard. This is found in SECURITY - TASKS - WIZARDS.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Do you prefer that all questions about CPF be put into this thread?

Is there a tracer, backtrack add-on that is available? (R)

Actually, Lavarat, this thread is more about general security-related questions, rather than specific questions/issues with the Comodo firewall. Specific Help-related questions would be better posted in the “Help” board of the Firewall section of the forum.

No there is no tracer function, but it is on the WishList.

LM

Going back on what I suggested previously, Norton doesn’t just block popup ads, yes browsers do perform that task especially with SP2 installed.

What I was originally suggesting referred to the blocking of gif and flash banners, and the like.
Which slow down page loads and consume user bandwidth bad if on a capped service.

Click here for the full adblock list supplied by Norton firewall

I believe the method used by Norton firewall is to re-write the browser page extracting all blocked content & blacklisted types, and displaying the revised page instead of the original. Judging by your recent user vote, many people want advert & banner blocking, which is not successfully achieved properly by windows or Firefox intergrated popup blockers.

To create one for CPF would be a major feature addition, and not just a simple popup blocker.

You know, Puniksem, if you’re using FF, you can control images and other content, to keep them from loading, if the standard popup doesn’t do it for you. Add NoScript, AdBlock (or AdBlock Plus)… What banner? What popup? ;D

LM

Another way to control SOME DOM scripting, in firefox, is by adding some code into your user.js file:

/*----------------------
 *   Dom section
 *----------------------*/
user_pref("dom.allow_scripts_to_close_windows", false);
user_pref("dom.disable_image_src_set", false);
user_pref("dom.disable_open_click_delay", 1000);
user_pref("dom.disable_open_during_load", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_flip", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_move_resize", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.close", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.directories", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.location", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.menubar", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.minimizable", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.personalbar", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.resizable", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.status", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.titlebar", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.toolbar", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_status_change", true);
user_pref("dom.event.contextmenu.enabled", false);
user_pref("dom.popup_maximum", 3); 

Little Mac

Add NoScript, AdBlock (or AdBlock Plus)... What banner? What popup? Grin

I really must spend some time comparing these two with Proxomitron. I guess to get the full effect, I’d probably need to add greasemonkey as well.

Here is my Google as seen through Proxo.

[attachment deleted by admin]

In Comodo Firewall Pro V3 there is “HIPS”

But i allready have “HIPS” in my antispyware program (SpywareTerminator)

So does it make any difference if i use the HIPS in the firewall, or the HIPS in my antispyware.?

and if it does make a difference, i would like to know why.

Here’s the difference: ST’s HIPS is an application-based HIPS. You set the level of intervention you want ST to take (which defines which file extensions it will trigger on), then for every instance, it will give you a popup when a file tries to run. Obviously, you can tell it not to bother you on each one, for the future. But you, the user, are still the one with the finger on the trigger. You have to decide whether d3dim700.dll is safe or not…

The v3 HIPS is more an application/safelist-based HIPS. Its encrypted safelist contains more than 300,000 applications, and is growing every day. If an item is on the safelist (ie, it has an exact cryptographic match) it will be approved automatically. If it is not on the safelist (or doesn’t have an exact match), the user will be alerted to approve or deny (just like with ST).

The v3 HIPS should be a much stronger HIPS. The key would be to disable ST’s HIPS, run v3’s for a while, and see the difference.

LM

(:SAD) Unfortunately I have some bad news about my experience with the CP Firewall…

I have had to uninstall CP products because of increasing system instabilities as a result of Comodo’s presence on my system. I have uninstalled CPF and it seems that all has returned to normal now.

However I shall list here my findings, in the hope that someone may have an idea as to why this is happening…

My system is an AMD based Compaq Preserio 1100Mhz CPU. with 1Gb 133Mhz SDRAM which is well in excess of requirements to run any comodo products.

1. Randomly windows would freeze while CPF would HOG 100% CPU resources.

2. Windows media player would stop mid-play and close unexpectedly when CPF hogged system resources. (most annoying mid-film)

3. Following any of the resource hogging sessions, windows explorer would crash completely forcing me to restart the computer.

4. Inherantly windows would then restart & display a series of errors as a result of these random siezures/crashes.

5. Since the removal, and the installation of an alternate firewall & anti-virus, all activity seems to have returned to normal, and has so far remained stable.

The only Comodo product that has remained stable and reliable on my computer is the Password manager, even so while saying that, during startup, it hangs until windows applications are fully loaded.

Can anyone shed some light on these problems, I have noticed that all the problems seem to relate to CPF hogging all available CPU for ages (this has also been reported by other CPF users), then suddenly all tasks and clicks that follow all happen at once after CPU resources return to normal ratios, and then for windows explorer to immediately crash afterwards. Why??

It’s a shame because I have had so much faith in Comodo products until now.

Hi. Please bookmark my FAQ sig link. CPU hogging issues:

Version 2.4 - cpf.exe and High CPU https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6819.0.html https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6933.0.html https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6943.0.html

Version 2.4 - cmdagent.exe and High CPU
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,5499.0.html
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,5972.0.html
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6160.0.html

This is off topic but here it is.

My Dlink 4100 router is set to gateway does that mean I need to in to network connection setup home network and connect through a gateway.

Or is that meant for a residential gateway router modem combo.

thank stillen