Online Gaming and how to enable Comodo firewall for it

Answers pls :slight_smile:

Well this is a bit general question.
The first thing to do is to find which ports the game uses for going on line. After you have founded the ports you can open them by following the bittorent tutorial which can be found here:

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,411.0.html

ps. it will not work if a game uses the UPNP feature of windows (in this chase the games uses multiple and frequently changing ports). The only way that I can think of, is adding a temporarly rule like this:

Action = Allow
Protocol = TCP or UDP
Direction = In
Source IP = Any
Remote IP = your IP adress (or “Any” )
Source port = Any
Remote port = add a range from 0 to 65000

but remember to use this rule only temporarly( UPNP is one of the most dangerous feature for on-line security)

NO! NO! NO!

In the rule you’ve defined (see below), you are allowing ALL traffic from ANY adddress access via ANY port. Deleting the BLOCK rule would have exactly the same effect, as would turning the firewall off.

Action = Allow
Protocol = TCP or UDP
Direction = In
Source IP = Any
Remote IP = your IP adress (or “Any” )
Source port = Any
Remote port = add a range from 0 to 65000

I’m not aware of any games that require UPnP. All the one I’ve ever come across have dedicated send/receive ports, and these ports are the one that need to be explicitly setup in a rule. The required ports are usually outlined on the game manufacturers website.

Ewen :slight_smile:
(WCF3)

Neither I know any game that uses it but I have not played all games out there. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for what you say about this rule you are quite wrong. It is not the same as deleting the default block rule and it does not allow all trafic (at least not all the protocols).

I have just finished doing varius tests with this rule on position #0 and my computer is completed stealthed. Just take a look at one of them made on http://www.grc.com

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2006-06-12 at 02:19:37

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed

1056 Ports Stealth

1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

Right now I make a stealth test at pcflank for the range 8000-9000. I will post the results when the test finishes.

ps. I never reply or suggest a rule, if I have not tested personally and be sure that it is safe to be used by the others :wink:

And here is the result from pcflank

Port: Status Service Description
9000-10000 stealthed n/a n/a

Pretty impressive. Right? :smiley:
(B) (J) (L) (M) (R) (S) (V)

Glad to hear it, but I don’t understand how it’s different? If this rule is allowing all traffic from all IPs to any ports, how can it block? ???

P.S. Shields UP ain’t the test it should be, and Steve Gibson ain’t the expert he would like you to believe. He’s clever, but he’s a better hype artist / journalist than propellorhead. :wink:

P.S. Congrats on making 200 posts!
(WCF3)

Thanks ;D
A TCP/UDP rule allows traffic for TCP and UDP protocols but blocks the attacks because from the version 2.1.0.1 and later if a port is not being currently used by any program CPF stealths it. :wink:
It is different from a rule that will allow all traffic where Protocol = Any (this last one will allow netbios and other kind of attacks).

ps. I have also checked the vulnerability on pcflank, symantec and other sites. It took me about 2 hours for compleeting the tests. And on every single test my computer was stealthed.

Sweet. This is quite similar to Firewall1’s adaptive stealthing. Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Are you going to watch the Aussies tonight against Japan? How do you think we’ll go?

I just installed Pro Evolution Soccer 5 ( to re-enact the WC games) and noticed that it uses UPnP.
It is available as an option and can be disabled and a specific port used, so it’s not really required.
Interesting either way.

And I think we’ll win 3 - 1 after a very painful first 84 minutes.

Interesting. IMHO, UPnP is a solution looking for a problem. The worst bit about it is it’s pervasiveness and it’s potential for the service being compromised. I usually turn UPnP off and I haven’t suffered from the lack of it.

You predicted a 3-1 win after 84 minutes?? OK Nostradumbass, what’s your tip for the next game BEFORE IT HAPPENS??? :smiley: :wink:

I reckon Brazil by 2-1 or 2-0.

cya
Aussie - (WCF3) (WCF3) (WCF3) Japan - (WCF17) OI OI OI!

You, smart techies! :wink:
Good luck to (WCF3) in world cup!

Egemen,
(WCF15)

Next game (in our group)
(WCF6) 1 - 2 (WCF4)
then
(WCF3) 1 - 1 (WCF4)

I must admit that these won’t solve the problems if people are starting the game from different locations, some examples: Desktop, Total Commander, command prompt, etc. I hope learning the parent is working with them if not the users mightn’t see that commodo asks Allow/Deny as the game is usually loading with full screen.
For this reason maybe comodo should activate it’s window on top of anything (a switch would be good).

Little help for online gameing:

[tr]
[td]Game:
[/td]
[td]Starport GE
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]IP:
[/td]
[td]64.70.39.50
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Ports:
[/td]
[td]7000 TCP
7809 UDP
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Files:
[/td]
[td]Launchher.exe
HEClient.exe
[/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]Game:
[/td]
[td]Shattered Galaxy
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]IPs:
[/td]
[td]64.124.47.70/64.124.47.71
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Ports:
[/td]
[td]3000 TCP
2054 UDP
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]File:
[/td]
[td]SG.exe
[/td]
[/tr]

Please look here

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,668.0.html

Hi,

I play alot of games with all sorts of different ports, is it safe to use this allow all tcp/udp permanently (while still keeping the block rule for other protocols), excluding all the open ports found in a full portscan (which I will do later with one of those network protection checking apps so that it gets all ports), I have allready excluded the common ones like 139 and stuff. I might ask a friend to run it from the internet side just to make sure it picks up everything exposed by the router (I am DMZ, even with the block rule alot of ports are closed rather than stealthed)

I am pretty good at knowing what to allow or deny when getting inicoming connection request so that shouldn’t be a problem

Also, how do I block the MAC address from being transmitted as I know this is an absolutely huge security hole! I won’t use this idea until I find out how to block it.

The reason why I am not using the router firewall is because it is annoying having to open ports for individual games, it would be less annoying with comodo because you don’t have to restart the router, but still extremely annoying.

Regards,
Antcodd

(L)

EDIT: Ahhhhhhhh… I didnt notice shields up also says that I am exposing private names through netbios, I thought blocked ment blocked! There can’t be that many ports I need to set up. as most should use directplay, I don’t feel at all secure enough like this, I will just use this rule temporarily if I really have to (as suggested)

Okay so how should I configure Comodo in a best way for online play with Guild Wars?

Thanks for the answer!

RakuPL (V)

Edit: No suggestions? Because it sometimes disconnected last time while using CPF :frowning:

first I’d like to mention that absolutely no game in this world uses upnp. I used to play games on the net long before I ever activated upnp on my computer. Upnp, as far as I’m concerned, is mainly used for file transfer operations through MSN messenger or Skype, or any other instant messenging program that needs the computers to appear clearly on the network. And of course it’s not safe. But you can safely deactivate upnp and play online games. The other thing is that normaly a proper firewall detects automatically the ports needed for a specifical game, and shows a popup for you to allow it to run or not. I’m not saying that Windows integrated firewall is a good firewall but it does that perfectly.Its just that it forces you to get out of the game after a first launch to give you permission. Sygate used to show a popup “on top” of the game screen, without forcing you to alt-tab or quit the game first. I don’t know if cpf does that cause I have not played games for a while, anyway not since I have cpf installed on my PC, and that means recently. I’ll probably give it a try…oh yes I just rember now that in order to be able to play the game Flat Out 2 online with cpf loaded, I had to grant full internet access to the game, otherwise it wouldn’t connect.I saw an alert from cpf the first time I got out of flat out 2, but that was too short and I did not have the time to allow anything, I launched the game again, got out of it, and no alert at all. So I decided to grant the game full access from inside cpf. That was not the best choice, and manually allow ports for each game I play…well I find that boring, nothing to do with internet security. A firewall should definitely handle that automatically.

So is this solution safe? Opening all ports, seem risky… and what if at any one point a user in the game launches a trojan using the game’s port?

of course it’s not the solution. But you can always switch to windows firewall during online gaming, that will automaticaly open the necessary ports for your game, and that should be safe enough for an online session.