NIS 2009

yes Sir I think that will be the case… As far as I know the company Pc Tools purchased by Symantec will be an individual part of Symantec Corporation this includes employees and their products…

Did Symantec buy CA (Computer Associates)? There was a company from Beaverbrook called PCTools. CA purchased them years ago. PCTools went downhill from there.

Yes Symantec bought both PC tools softwarecompany (read: maker of spyware doctor) and a long time a go it bought Central point software, this company produced utilities similar like Norton Utilities back then, the software of Central point software was called also: Pc Tools…

But I do not think Computer Associates is being bought by Symantec Corporation…

You’re right, it was called Central Point.
At the time Windows '95 was coming out. Central Point had the best utilities for Windows 3.x/DOS 6.0, at that time. They never did produce a decent Win’95 version of their software.
I know CA bought them because as a registered user, I was given a special promo offer as part of the purchase deal. I did predict (to their staff) the sale of the company would be its downfall. I believe I was proven correct on this.

That’s good news if that remains the case.They’ve allowed Altiris to continue unhindered so there’s a good chance. :■■■■

so far, so good. Nice and light^^ and vettetech your coping me, i already posted that picture in this thread (:TNG)

Don’t know about the Internet Security Suite, but the AV had good results on av-comparatives. One thing that I do know for sure is that it very light. If the tests result are accurate, then I guess Symantec is going on the right track.

But then again, eset nod32 latest version only got an advanced, if am I not mistaken. Gdata had an advanced+ and the funny thing is that it reported alot of FPs. How can an AV that has so many FPs be considered one of the best? The best AV is the one that offers a pretty decent detection and few FPs. And on that Eset is one of the best, if not the best.

Anyway, it was just my thought of the day ;)…

Best regards

Come on, please give Vette a break. He has the right to change his mind. As a matter of fact I’m pretty glad that he has changed his mind with respect to NOD32, since NOD32 does not have self-protection. To me NIS2009 is great and at wilders it is all praise. Symantec has done a wonderful job and I have to applaud them for their efforts. To be honest NIS 2009 could be the only suite that could compel me to use only one AV. Currently I’m using both Avast 4.8 and F-Prot 6, with no conflicts, slow-downs and other headaches. NIS 2009 is already doing well in testing. It tested well at Av-test.org and it also tested extremely well at av-comparatives.org.

Virus Bulletin :: AV-Test release latest results

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/report19.pdf

In conclusion guys cut it out, >:( give Vette a Break.

Peace

And I’m using no AV at all since one year (just CFP 3). :o

I’m sure you’re right when it comes to NIS 2009, it’s a great product, but I can’t see why it would be the only AV that makes you to use just one AV… that’s like saying “Norton AV is significally better than all other AVs”.

LA

+1. But I been using without an AV for 5 months. :slight_smile:

Josh

I think Jaki was referring to the complete package including firewall + antibot rather than singling out the AV component,which although good isn’t the very best.

I can see the attraction of running without an AV for the experienced user that can interpret what’s going on with their system with regards to D+ warnings,especially if system resources are an issue.I consider Avira as just a safety net rather than my front line protection. :■■■■

Andyman35 is right, NIS 2009 is complete package. Therefore, I like it. As a matter of fact, to me, it is pretty effective. Low system resource usage, Anti bot, from zero-day to live with in-the-cloud technology, fast scan, great detection etc… Once again NIS 2009 could be the only internet security solution that could compell me to use only one anti-virus.

By the way However computer savyy your are you are bound to make a mistake some day or you could misread of Commodo firewall warmings and virus could get in your computer. I think it would be better to have layer approach when it comes to computer security. However, you have the right not to use any anti-virus solution.

Peace.

And I'm using no AV at all since one year (just CFP 3).
+1. But I been using without an AV for 5 months.
Is this like a mod disease? I'm not using anything either... (yeah, not even Comodo for the moment 88))
I think it would be better to have layer approach when it comes to computer security.
:BNC another one who understands. But I don't believe in an approach from 1 product only... I would use another one. If you want a really good protection try this one :
  1. Firewall : Comodo
  2. Antivirus (on-acces) : Avira/Kaspersky
  3. Antispyware (on-acces) : Superantispyware/Ashampoo antispyware
  4. browser : Opera
  5. sandboxing
  6. on demand scanners like Malwarebytes antimalware/bitdefender free/ A-squared

Xan

Hi eXperience

I have a better one for you

What about going out there naked with only returnil or deepfreeze. ;D. As matter of fact that’s probably what I’m going to do. :slight_smile:

Peace

Nice move Jaki ! ;D From 2 antiviruses to none :slight_smile: Sweet :-TU

Tonight I’m beside myself I do not know what I’m saying ;D.

Peace

I’d not advise you to go naked with only one of those,since you’ll have no protection from single session infections.

Be carefull though as some malware are designed to escape from there (not much, but there are some)

Xan

What about going online without anything at all except a good browser and intelligence ?

Some people are going “naked” but most of them “dont need to” cause if you can add other layers of protection without lowering system performance… you have nothing to gain my going naked! (:KWL)

Seriously, Put some underwear on - it wont hinder your mobility :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh my god, underwear :o

But I don’t want to use any system recources… I even hate explorer for taking 10.000 kb >:(. All counted together it takes 6% of my ram >:(

Xan