NIS 2009

That was making fun of people who used 20 layers of security and change on a day to day basis. Read my post completely instead of making assumptions.

Ok uninstalled Comodo,Avira and Sandboxie. Cleaned out the registry and rebooted about 3 times to be sure I was clean. NIS 2009 installed in minutes. I downloaded and ran the GRC Leak Test and it failed. So I looked in the settings and I clicked Advanced Settings under Smart Firewall. Then I found that Automatic Program Control was on by deafult which is like a learning\trusted\training mode. Under this mode everything will be trusted without alerts. Then I shut off Automatic Program Control which in turn makes Advanced Program Control turn on. I deleted the GRC Leak test in the program control and ran it again. Now I got an alert to allow or block. I blocked and the GRC Leak test said passed. My pc is very speedy. All programs open up very quick with no delays even after an alert to allow or block. BTW I can install something without using so “install mode”. Check out the mem usage. Extremely low. My pc never ran faster.

[attachment deleted by admin]

So when you ran COMODO and Avira, you didn’t trusted them and also used Sandboxie. But you fully trust Norton 09 ? :slight_smile: Great !

Norton would be in my “Worth Using” list if they make it even smaller and fix that “Folders Everywhere” problem.

I dropped Sandboxie for now. I never used it till about 6 months ago. I might add it back in but not now.

Vette, Disk Shield is quite good also… It’s still in beta though.

Hows norton going?

I tried Disk Shield and it slowed my pc way down and had other problems like those mentioned by others. Norton running great. There is a new feature that scans for trusted programs to speed up your pc. If it knows its a trusted program then it doesn’t scan it. Its called Norton Insight. It also has a transparent skin option with color changes.

[attachment deleted by admin]

That’s a pretty cool feature… Finally Norton is where it should be! :slight_smile:

Fortunatly for me diskshield works :slight_smile:

Another cool feature is Slient Mode. Also there is no entry in “msconfig start up”. But in services.msc its there as suto.

Another uncool feature of Norton is that it requires .Net Framework to be installed and running. And on my vLited Vista the installation would not be even possible :-TD

90% of programs out there require .NETFrame work. Whats the big deal.

KIS doesn’t ;D And it’s not 90 % :wink:

LOL. You love to argue Comm dont you. Still have NIS Installed?

I ran Norton Systemworks for 5 years and used to think back then that Norton was in the top 3 for anti virus protection, and then the paid version of Zone Alarm was my firewall.
At least my thought at that time was Norton Antivirus was one of the top 3 in protection and removal.

Then I started getting frustrated with their support.
One problem in particualr they always ignored, in their replies.
Speeddisk Nortons defragger the first 2 years listed green in the color legend showed defragged, and Speeddisk worked bvery well and displayed green areas in the final results
The last 3 years I used Symantec Systemworks the color legend stayed the same, but even after running Speeddisk 5 times in a row final results never showed any green.
Symantec support would answer other questions but for some unknown reason, any questions about the Color legend and results shown were never responded to during the last 3 years I used Systemworks…

When I started having crashes not only Norton but with other programs; the common and Only fix from Norton was uninstall and reinstall Systemworks.
In analyzing the crashes of the other programs Norton was always involved.

One time I decided to manually check how many registry keys Norton installed. Of the many programs available to install in Systemworks, I only used 4 (really liked GoBack over System Restore, but because of cpu usage and memroy uninstalled it), and did a search for only 3 keywords Symantec, Norton, and Systemworks. Did not search for Nav and a few other obvious words. I found thousands of keys. I forgot the exact number of registry keys that were foud but the number was well over 3500.
How many keys would there be if I had installed additional featires of Systemworks ?

Possibly Norton Internet Security 2009 is faster and uses less resources because less registry keys are installed ? ? ?

I hope Norton works well for all those that use it, but for now I am using the Free Avira and patiently waiting to the 1st Beta of CAVS 3.

Interested to see if and how many “major” bugs were missed.
But you couild have a thousand beta testers, and some items just get missed.

In the beginning I expect great scan speed, detection and prevention.
How quickly the Comodo team can create removal software for new malware found will be the key.
The first two betas will probably fine tune what is coming out. I am hoping by Valentines Day to see Comodo to start including removal programs for newly found malware, either on their web site or integrated into the updates of CAVS 3 and BoClean…

UncleDoug

90% of the programs out there does not require .NET. :slight_smile:

In either case it’s cool that Norton is finally a decent program, unlike the last years?

LA

I think there are very few security programs that require .NET :slight_smile: Norton’s one of them (L)
Yeah, I still have Norton installed, it works pretty good, though it eats a lot of Virtual Memory 88)

Does anyone know if there are plans for Symantec to include any components of the recently aquired Threatfire into the Norton suite,or have they already?

They have their own technology called Norton AntiBot intergrated into Norton 2009 :slight_smile:

I see,hopefully they’ll continue to allow TF to be developed autonomously in that case.

I agree with you Commodus, Vett does jump around and contradicts himself. Here’s a quote from Vett from the “Avira discussion”
“No I am not. I only use trusted and tested and proven AV’s. Why does everybody want to rush and install CIS the second its out. I have never used any sort of suite and everyone knows having separate programs are better. Having a stand alone av and a stand alone firewall are better then any suite. The only good thing that will be in CIS is the firewall. Are you really gonna trust CAV3.0? CAV2.0 has been in beta for over year. Until CAV3.0 can provide atleast 97% protection rate then I will not use it. Avast is better for a choice of free av’s.”

Now Vetts deciding to go with a IS. What happen to separate programs are better?
Alot of the forum members make critical decisions on security products based on the replies and quotes in this forum and if you are going to contradict yourself or jump from one side of the fence to the other depending on which way the wind blows is bad practice. Vett did the same thing nocking Avira when running NOD32 now he’s running Avira.

Let’s keep on topic guys.