New Security Patches coming Tues Jun/10/08

Microsoft is releasing Security Patches this Tuesday June 10/08

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/060508-bluetooth-ie-to-get-critical.html

Thought a few might like to see what they were for before Tuesday.

UncleDoug

Thanks, uncle.

I was eager to test out my new manual Windows updating process together with my slimmed down Windows and System32 files ;D.

Thanks for the update.

Josh

Updates are released by Microsoft the second Tuesday each month :wink:
And I don’t think many (if anyone), reads what the updates do, they just install it (like me).
But still, thanks for the information.

Cheers,
Ragwing

I already knew that. You didn’t have to suck the fun of ‘pretending to not know it’ out of it :frowning:

I do 88) because I don’t like to install useless ■■■■. It would otherwise conflict my ‘how to slim down XP’ philosophy

Me too, at least I wouldn’t install something related to Office since I don’t have Office. (:TNG)

(BTW this is just hypothetical since I’m a newbie when it comes to installing updates manually, without Windows Update. I haven’t yet done it but I guess it’ll happen on Tuesday.)

LA

It’s fun to be surprised. Who knows, maybe our (us clean freaks’) computers will stop responding after rebooting to install these updates.

You’ll need to have Office for the Office-updates to install (:WIN)

It’s the moment of truth. Put my slimmed down XP Service Pack 2 to the test (re: Software Distribution folder, etc.) and to bug you peeps on the updates I have no clue about or unsure:

Vulnerability in Bluetooth Stack Could Allow Remote Code Execution (951376) → My teeth are white & I only have a DSL modem (no router). Do I really need this? It seems Microsoft like to recommend everything.

Cumulative Security Update of ActiveX Kill Bits (950760) → Speech Recognition? How do I know if I have this?

Vulnerability in WINS Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (948745) → Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) ??

Vulnerability in Active Directory Could Allow Denial of Service (953235) → I thought AD is only applicable within a network. I’m not on one.

Vulnerabilities in Pragmatic General Multicast (PGM) Could Allow Denial of Service (950762) → I don’t think I’ve ever used or seen this protocol on my PC.

Well, Soya, you know, Micro$oft also recommends using FULL XP or Vista ;D With ALL services running ! :-TD (Makes me wanna puke)

Vulnerability in Bluetooth Stack Could Allow Remote Code Execution (951376)
No, I removed bluetooth support with nLite, so do I really need this one?

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (950759)
Installed, although it addresses IE 6 SP1 (?) for XP SP3. I don’t know what IE 6 SP1 is.

Cumulative Security Update of ActiveX Kill Bits (950760)
Installed.

Vulnerabilities in DirectX Could Allow Remote Code Execution (951698)
Installed.

Vulnerability in WINS Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (948745)
No.

Vulnerability in Active Directory Could Allow Denial of Service (953235).
No (I tried, but then I understood that I don’t have the ADAM stuff).

Vulnerabilities in Pragmatic General Multicast (PGM) Could Allow Denial of Service (950762)
No, it was not released when I checked yesterday. If Soya doesn’t need it, why would I need it. ;D

LA

(by the way, I’m happy to say that my Windows folder is just as small as before)

Speech Recognition? How do I know if I have this?

Give your PC a bad name and see what happens… ;D

I don't think I've ever used or seen this protocol on my PC

This might change after installing this update :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers

The REBOL

Thank you, techies ;D

I also forgot about the gods Google and Wiki:

Bluetooth is a wireless protocol utilizing short-range communications technology facilitating data transmissions over short distances from fixed and/or mobile devices, creating wireless personal area networks (PANs). [I’m hard-wired.]

Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) is Microsoft’s implementation of NetBIOS Name Service (NBNS) … [I stopped at NetBIOS]

Speech Recognition - I’ll go with Rebol’s advice and not install. I’m pretty sure I nLite’d that one out already…

Pragmatic General Multicast (PGM) - Same as above. If I don’t use then don’t touch anything related to it!

IE 6 SP1 is for those who still have XP Service Pack 1, but if you read further on, it affects SP2 users as well, so I will install that one. I will also install the DirectX one, so just 2 for me. Looks like my initial judgement was correct :-TU

Here’s what it says:

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1* for Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP Professional x64 Gold, Windows XP Professional x64 SP2, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Service Pack 3*,

Internet Explorer 6.0 for Windows XP SP2**, Internet Explorer 6.0 for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Internet Explorer 6.0 for Windows XP Professional x64 SP2,

etc.

So it’s definitely IE 6 SP1 for XP SP3 like I have (*), but in the second case (**), IE 6.0 (no SP1), XP SP2 is mentioned (which you have Soya) but not XP SP3. This confuses me. I should only install this if I have IE 6 SP1, but you say this is for XP SP1?

LA

I misread. SOrry. Was also confused by M$'s mumble jumble:

IE 6 SP1 is for Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 users.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-031.mspx

Mine is IE 6 SP2 according IE’s Help > About menu.

So (**) certainly applies to you. I still hesitate if (*) applies to me. IE Help > About > “IE 6.0xxx, SP3”. I don’t have IE 6 SP1 on Windows XP SP3, I have IE 6 on Windows XP SP3! Which isn’t exactly in the list… ???

LA

Hi, Soya and LA. (:WAV)

If you’re not so sure about what applies and what does not, maybe a reinstall of a fully functional OS might be the cure? Enabling ALL services will make you feel sure to be in need of all those nice updates Billy is giving to us for FREE!

Every second tuesday in month means Christmas day in Redmond!

Now playing: Santa Bill is coming to town ;D O0

(This tune is to be sung in $ # major).

And remember: Refusing to accept gifts is not kind. (:TNG)

PS: And please don’t forget to install the latest DRM updates for your player. (:WIN)

LOL! If I follow that advice, it has to be followed by Soya’s advice: throw the computer out the window…

Anyway I installed that IE 6 SP1 update, and it worked, so I guess that’s alright. Plus, IE seems to run as it should. :-TU

LA

OMG!

LA runs IE.

Shouldn’t you move this one to the “Confession” thread? LOL

!ot!

:■■■■

How’s that important? You don’t even use it :stuck_out_tongue: