Memory Firewall developement

Anyway, if such tool proves itself useful, and again I’m not saying it isn’t, then, I also believe it’s development should be kept as a stand-alone security application.

Why?

Well, how many security applications out there provide buffer overflow protection?

If they don’t, and if other people, aside from those using the COMODO suite, wish to use such protection, would they need to lose their security applications, perhaps paid ones?

Myself, I make use of separate applications for each security field. Why? No security vendor provides best security in all fields. That’s more than known. It’s reality. A security vendor may develop one or two great products, but, not everything.

I went to the COMODO page to see about the Memory Firewall, and, there hasn’t been any update to the version for a very long time. Every application has bugs, and this means the one, eventually reported, aren’t fixed. More than obvious.

If people wish for such protection they would have to install the COMODO suite. I don’t think they should have.

And, when I talk about COMODO, I talk about any other.

P.S: Comodo, of course, isn’t obliged to keep it as stand-alone, but, wouldn’t it prove useful as well for others using other security tools?

This is very similar case as with PCTools programs. Especially ThreatFire.
They have implemented ThreatFire into their other antimalware programs but they have also kept stand alone version because it can suplement other security programs nicely and many users actually prefer that one over CIS (i for example prefer avast! or AVIRA).
It’s same here. I don’t like Comodo antivirus just yet and i don’t need firewall. But i would like to have Memory Firewall. CMF is still available but hasn’t been updated for a long time and that kinda bothers me.
How hard it is to just update existing CMF with new code from CIS and offer CMF as stand alone program even though part of it is already in CIS ?

Despite I expressed my opinion in different similar threads regarding the matter and speaking about CMF only in this particular thread, I would like to support RejZoR and other users who want CMF being available as standalone in addition to integrated one. (although I am using firewall with integrated CMF already)
And yes again, I have reasons to believe and I think that it is possible and not hard to maintain / update existing one. From programmer’s point of view that is absolutely achievable task

Cheers!

P.S.
keep it calm, Guys, don’t quarrel :wink:

I too would like to have CMF stand-alone because I’m currently trying out Sandboxie and there could be malware that can break out of the sandbox due to BO. Also, Sandboxie has what I call a mini-firewall because you can tell it what programs are allowed to access the Internet, making Comodo Firewall redundant. With BO protection, malware will surely never break out of Sandboxie.

i would like CMF to continue also as standalone tool and being updated accordingly as standalone tool …

one of reasons is simple use (not everyone is fond to CIS and not everyone can use CIS)

Shellcode injection detection has been updated with CIS 3.9 beta. Will the standalone MFW also get updated?

The development of the standalone MFW has been discontinued.

That’s why this board in the Archived Boards part of the forums.