Memory Firewall developement

Even though Memory Firewall is now a part of CIS, i’d like to see that developement of stand alone version continues.
Unlike BOClean which did not serve any real purpose as stand alone, this doesn’t apply to Memory Firewall.
For now, it’s still useful as additional protection layer.

I agree with RejZoR about the Memory Firewall part :slight_smile:

Greetz, Red.

+1. Rather than squeeze everything into CIS, standalone version would be usefull (complement) with “other” security products not just Comodo.

:slight_smile:

I think CMF standalone is as dead as BOClean soon will be >:(

Well, I think we’ll have another topic like the BoClean one. CMF development is set ‘on hold’. Only the development of the inclusion in CIS goes on ‘AFAIK (!)’

Xan

Running BOClean alone makes no sense since it doesn’t really provide much extra protection to those already using lets say AVIRA Free. But Memory Firewall still does. Thats why it should continue its separate path along with the one in CIS.
I don’t care about BOClean though as it should be implemented in CIS (and it will be).

I think a good question here(i would like an answer) is are there any buffer overflow vulnerabilities that cmf doesn`t handle,or are there likely to be new ones discovered(maybe there has)

Totally agree on the concept that cmf should still be available and worked on(if needed) as it covers an area which most don`t.
What alternatives are out there?

Since CMF isn’t based on signatures, even if it’s “discontinued”, you can stash it and continue using it as long as you want, I guess?

Please see https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsannouncementsnews/explanation_of_why_cmf_fails_some_buffer_overflow_tests-t22330.0.html

Well, I can tell you from the reports I have from users, you are wrong about that :wink:

Greetz, Red.

Memory firewall development is not being stopped… the only thing is being changed is the way its delivered to users (eg: as part of CIS).

As to Memory scanner and its usefulness: If you believe that thru obfuscation you can bypass AVs then you have to believe in Memory scanner! If you don’t believe AV’s can’t be fooled thru obfuscation (eg: packing etc) then you don’t have to believe in Memory Scanner.

Melih

We’re talking about MEMORY FIREWALL here and as stand alone application, it has been discontinued (no updates since beginning of last year).

BOClean belongs along the CIS scanner and for me doesn’t give any extra value as stand alone application (while it does to CIS).

However, MEMORY FIREWALL is completely generic tool that can compliment ANY other antivirus or antimalware tool. So, moving it strictly to CIS and not having stand alone version anymore doesn’t make much sense imo. I’d be running Memory Firewall along Antivir on my netbook if it was updated a bit but since it hasn’t been updated for ages i’ll just stay away from it. I never trust old programs.

So what you are saying: You don’t believe malware can obfuscate itself using packers that AV’s can’t catch? You believe that AVs can unpack everything 100%?

Is that the case?

Melih

Oh boy, am i writting in chinese? I’m not even talking about BOClean here. It’s Memory Firewall section after all.
I’m talking that it’s more logical to keep Memory Firewall as stand alone app than anything else.

dunno… when i read this it was in english:

RejZoR =“BOClean belongs along the CIS scanner and for me doesn’t give any extra value as stand alone application (while it does to CIS).”
Hence my question to you…

Melih = [i]"So what you are saying: You don’t believe malware can obfuscate itself using packers that AV’s can’t catch? You believe that AVs can unpack everything 100%?

Is that the case?"[/i]

Perhaps you can answer the question I asked? (I wrote it in English, but if you need the Chinese version, more than happy to translate it for you :slight_smile: )

Melih

Perhaps you don’t know what makes BOClean different from other AV/AS programs, RejZoR. :slight_smile: They scan files, BOClean (or CIS’s memory scanning feature) scans the memory. The same malicious code can be obfuscated into any number of different bitstreams on disc, that’s why BOClean cannot be fooled the same way as file scanners (every other AV/AS) can.

For crying out loud. It’s like talking to a brick wall.
Nevermind i’ve said anything, really. It’s not worth my time.

Arright complaint registered. (:WAV)

You still failed to teach us why CMF’s case as stand-alone app is different from BOC’s, though. ??? There are complaints about the latter as well of course, so don’t worry…

Why isn’t backing your own statement worth your time?

Melih

Repeating myself gets old, especially when i get same (wrong) answer 3 times in a row.
Even though my english has grammaer errors here and there, anyone i communicated with so far could understand me just fine. And i think i typed it clear enough for you to understand.